• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I dont get it. I thought the All Blacks were renewing their focus on winning the collisions, but they wheel out basically the same team (but with Frizell in for Barrett) that got dominated by England?

What would you have picked?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The McDermott exclusion is interesting. It's hard to think it's about experience next to Lolesio given Gordon has played exactly one test and that was two years ago.

Is the box kick issue a strong part of the decision?

They are both the type of players with strong running games who are good impact players.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon Lolesio will go on at 12 towards the end of the game once Hodge has settled in at 13.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not saying McDermott's support game is poor but Gordon's is world class. Maybe that's why he got the nod off the bench, he'll be critical for any breaks late in the match.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good luck to the Wallabies debutants, how bloody exciting. What an incredible rise for Wilson, somehow I think he won't be overawed by the occasion - what a competitor.

I'm liking Daugunu and Paisami starting together, experienced pairing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ha, my guess about Gordon was right. Mildly surprised still. Good team, I reckon. ABs look pretty handy.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
AB's have a reasonable height difference on the wings - Bridge (186cm) and Barrett (196cm) over Daungunu (175cm) and Koroibete (180cm). I'd be expecting Mo'unga and B Barrett to be peppering the corners all day long.

We should be preparing for a Luftwaffe aerial assault. Hopefully our little spitfires are up for the challenge.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I dont get it. I thought the All Blacks were renewing their focus on winning the collisions, but they wheel out basically the same team (but with Frizell in for Barrett) that got dominated by England. Oh and with two sevens and no Retallick

Tuipulotu and Ofa will help with the collisions (they are now starting instead of bench) but I agree - underwhelming AB starting XV.

That ABs backline is a complete mess - Goodhue has been underwhelming at 12, Jordie is the best fullback but shunted to the wing, Bridge has offered bugger all this season and Beaudy was underwhelming at fullback this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tuipulotu and Ofa will help with the collisions (they are now starting instead of bench) but I agree - underwhelming AB starting XV.

That ABs backline is a complete mess - Goodhue has been underwhelming at 12, Jordie is the best fullback but shunted to the wing, Bridge has offered bugger all this season and Beaudy was underwhelming at fullback this year.

Well you're bombing the ball all day.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Pete Samu, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks
RESERVES: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge

You know, I like what I saw from Jake Gordon this season, but I'm really surprised he got the nod over Powell, especially with Lolesio on the bench. McDermott I can understand somewhat, his passing really became unstuck in some of the later rounds of SRAU, but I think his non-selection might irk some.

Really happy to see Slipper get the start. He's been playing some top notch Rugby this season. Overall the team isn't far off where most of use likely thought. Petaia and DHP are the only two you'd question and their non-selection you'd have to think is injury/recovery concerns more than anything else.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
98h6sbrbgxr51.jpg

full page ad taken out in the local NZ paper today.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Really happy to see Slipper get the start. He's been playing some top notch Rugby this season.

You'd have to think that that's the best ball running and playing pair of props we've had in two decades. Both of them have silky, silky hands.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Really happy to see Slipper get the start. He's been playing some top notch Rugby this season. Overall the team isn't far off where most of use likely thought. Petaia and DHP are the only two you'd question and their non-selection you'd have to think is injury/recovery concerns more than anything else.

Apparently Petaia has receovered from the hip pointer injury, but hasn't had enough time training with the team on the paddock.

We're looking down the barrel of 9 games in 10 weeks. He'll get a run. As will McDermott.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So, is Reece the next super talented AB winger that isn't needed? Wonder if he reckons he should've played for Fiji instead and be living in Biarritz right now.