• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What points scoring system will apply? NRC 6 point try, 3 point conversion, 2 point PG or the more conventional system.

I'd anticipate that this fixture would be played under "normal" system. The NRC points system does dictate the skippers decisions when penalties are awarded in the opposition 1/2.

Ahem.

Aussies had the 5 point try last year. It's the Kiwis who are introducing a 6 point try for this year's Mitre 10 Cup, Hugh.

:)

But it's a good question. It may well be that the NRC does not continue all the previous variations used.

T

TOCC

The point system between the two are essentially the same, both offer 8 points for a converted try and both have decreased the value of the PK and DG to 2 points.

ITM/NRC

TRY: 6/5
Conversion: 2/3
PK: 2/2
DG: 2/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Of more importance is whether the new breakdown rule changes that the ITM Cup is adopting will be used in the trial.

T

Tip

The point system between the two are essentially the same, both offer 8 points for a converted try and both have decreased the value of the PK and DG to 2 points.

ITM/NRC

TRY: 6/5
Conversion: 2/3
PK: 2/2
DG: 2/2

To be honest, I hate the ITM system. It's impossible to score an odd number of points.

T

Tip

I'd prefer it if the NRC kept it's point system and trialed a new law variation.

Penalties, when successfully kicked, result in the choice of a scrum or a lineout at the mark of where the penalty was kicked. Attacking Ball!

This means teams with will think twice before cynically infringing in their half.

Maybe, to prevent a zillion 60 second penalty kicks, perhaps penalties are changed to drop goals, and must be taken within 30 seconds :)

Could be pretty epic.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Might be excessive there. Scrum penalty 5 metres out, knock it over. Scrum penalty 5 metres out, knock it over. Penalty try and successful conversion, 13 easy points to a dominant scrum side.

Maybe free kick on halfway mark?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So what teams are playing in the NRC this year? I know we still don't know if a Vikings side will line up or if it will be simply a "Canberra" side - when is the draw released? a week before the comp like last year?

If they want this to be successful they need to start to market and advertise it now - have it on every 2nd ad while the June Tests are going on.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Last time I checked only the Heartland Championship was changing the points scoring system. Only thing that M10 Cup is changing is laws on breakdown and tackle area.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The breakdown law changes in M10 - are they the requirement for defenses to be 1m behind the last foot in the ruck? The elimination of the gate? Tackler to be "onside" before attempting to pilfer? Something else?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
All of the above I believe. Though early response from NZ Premier Rugby is that most of the laws are pretty awful. Absolutely no contest in the rucks and playing a lot like League, with lots of wrestling trying to hold players up, one up forward running, etc.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Off the top of my head Taranaki, Manawatu, Bay of Plenty, Otago and Tasman are the unions using the Variations in Premier Grade if anyone was wondering.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Last time I checked only the Heartland Championship was changing the points scoring system. Only thing that M10 Cup is changing is laws on breakdown and tackle area.

Ta.

Looks like they've backed away from the earlier reporting that it would be 6 point tries in the M10.

New Zealand Rugby general manager Neil Sorensen has confirmed tries will be worth six points during next year's provincial championship.​
... All Blacks coach Steve Hansen showed his support for the move saying: "Six point tries are fine. I think they should probably be worth seven, but it's irrelevant what I think because I'm not the one trialling them.​
... New Zealand will get its first taste of the new system when the provincial competition - now called the Mitre 10 Cup - kicks off on August 16 next year.​

So it might be normal scoring for the City v Cantabs match.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
RugbyNews has done a possibles for the NSW NRC Teams.

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/2016-nrc-how-the-reshuffled-nsw-sides-might-look/

Seems the Rams are being starved of talent. Looks like they will need Super Rugby players from Rebels Brumbies and Force or maybe a departing Red (Ant Fainga'a).

Looks like there should be enough NSW Super Rugby Players in the Rays and Eagles.
Even less Country in Eagles now.

Maybe Vikings , Rising and Spirit will have to suck up excess Super Players to the detriment of Dewa, JID and Pindan.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
A few top ups from the other Super Rugby sides, a little pressure from the Tahs to get their extended and developing squads to look for starting spots and probably bench spots too, and a handful of club players making astute career decisions rather than relying on club loyalties would be nice.

Say for example, Reece Robinson, Andrew Kellaway, Matt Carraro, Dave Horwitz and Jim Stewart are all Tahs players that would naturally align themselves with the Eagles outfit, completing a nice little 11-15 team. A little bit of pressure to Clunies-Ross and Harry Jones (both Stars players last year?) to go to the Rams would work well for both them and the Rams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A few top ups from the other Super Rugby sides, a little pressure from the Tahs to get their extended and developing squads to look for starting spots and probably bench spots too, and a handful of club players making astute career decisions rather than relying on club loyalties would be nice.

Say for example, Reece Robinson, Andrew Kellaway, Matt Carraro, Dave Horwitz and Jim Stewart are all Tahs players that would naturally align themselves with the Eagles outfit, completing a nice little 11-15 team. A little bit of pressure to Clunies-Ross and Harry Jones (both Stars players last year?) to go to the Rams would work well for both them and the Rams.

See, the NRC would be the perfect place to introduce some sort of at least locally based draft system if it we re run seperately from the clubs. Even if it only involved Super Rugby squad members.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Some positions should work well anyway. Hooker for example.

Tolu Latu and Folau Fainga’a at the Eagles, Hilterbrand and Holmes at the Rays, Roach and, if the rumours are true, Fitzpatrick (think he's an Eastwood boy) at the Rams.

As I've said, just need some intelligence shown from the Tahs, and the first graders unlikely to make the 15 and the 23 respectively at their natural sides, and a few bonuses like Naiyaravoro coming back from overseas, and a couple like Snowden and Asquith coming back from down south will hopefully see a competitive Rams side emerge. Whether it'd be enough to see them avoid the spoon I'm not sure, but ultimately, someone has to finish bottom. But 2 or 3 wins, 3 or 4 narrow losses and 1 or 2 humpings would be preferable to say a win, 2 narrow losses and 4 humpings.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
any thoughts as to why the Rebels have left the Rams? Doesn't seem that the Rams will have much left , Parra, Penrth, West Harbour, Eastwood....
Coach? No Jim Williams?