• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
actually, no. I don't think this will be NRC related.

I think Buildcorp are going to throw some money towards women's rugby in general.

Sorry for the confusion.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Might be excessive there. Scrum penalty 5 metres out, knock it over. Scrum penalty 5 metres out, knock it over. Penalty try and successful conversion, 13 easy points to a dominant scrum side.

Maybe free kick on halfway mark?

One thing's for certain if these rules were adopted to super rugby - the reds would win every game!!!!!!!! :D

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
One thing's for certain if these rules were adopted to super rugby - the reds would win every game!!!!!!!! :D

What is happening with the Sydney based NRC clubs??
Is there some hidden agenda of rationalisation going on behind the scenes.
We have the Sydney Stars disappearing and Southern Districts moving away from the Rams to the Rays.
The Rams now have only Penrith, Parra, West Harbour & unofficially Eastwood to draw from although they will pick up players from other clubs.
This seems to me that they are being set up to fail.
Are we heading for 2 Sydney NRC clubs only?

T

Tip

The Rams have a 2mil person catchment of non-adverse Rugby Supporters?

Sounds like a fairly even chunk of the pie?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The Rams have a 2mil person catchment of non-adverse Rugby Supporters?

Sounds like a fairly even chunk of the pie?

Hope you are right.
Methinks the alignment with the less successful clubs might work against them. If the players follow their SS clubs the Rams will have less player support that it needs.
They did finish as wooden spooners last year and now they have one less club to draw from.
Are they even confirmed as playing in the NRC this year?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This seems to me that they are being set up to fail.
Are we heading for 2 Sydney NRC clubs only?
zcog92I.jpg

;)

T

TOCC

Poor NSW...

Imagine if there were some professional sporting organisation in the state with affiliations to rugby union, one which had coaching, media, logistical, management and S&C resources which weren't been fully utilised at that time of the year that could be leveraged to support the NRC teams.....

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Poor NSW.

Imagine if there were some professional sporting organisation in the state with affiliations to rugby union, one which had coaching, media, logistical, management and S&C resources which weren't even fully utilised at that time of the year that could be leveraged to support the NRC teams...

Hi TOCC - don't think us mere punters would disagree with that thinking. Problem is, judging by the actions with the Rams etc it seems that the Rugby Leaders are pushing 2 teams only in Sydney although I hope that suspicion is wrong.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope there's no nefarious intent to do away with the Rams. I would still support the competition if they were discarded but I certainly wouldn't be supporting either or the NSW teams.

T

TOCC

I can't see NSW falling below 3 teams, as it is in 2016 the competition will be a 8 team tournament which is better for the draw anyway, it would also seem counterintuitive given the ARU just highlighted Western Sydney as one of their strategic focus areas.

NSW certainly has the player depth to field 3 teams, I think 4 teams was a stretch too get.. The real question is, will the NSW teams have the necessary coaching, management and S&C resources to support 3 teams? And the answer to this is entirely dependant on whether the Waratahs are going to support the teams or not.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Eventually you would like to think as people have mentioned the players would move to clubs that they are more chance of making NRC teams if they are struggling to make the current catchment they are in. Unfortunately with the NRC so poor cash wise it's simply not going to happen as people who dream might think it will.

People think Club Rugby/Shute Shield rugby before NRC and some observers just don't get this. Anyway saying that pretty sure all Super Rugby teams actively watch the Shute Shield anyway as half the players are signed before they even play the NRC season (i.e Reece Hodge).

T

Train Without a Station

Rubbish AD.

Players already have gone to teams not linked to their club. Harry Jones for example plays for Warringah, but played for the Stars in 2015.

Sam Talaikai played for Sydney Uni in 2014 but went to Brisbane City.

Duncan Chubb played for Southern Districts in 2015 but went to Melbourne Rising.

Why? Because they want to be professional rugby players. Professionals follow opportunity.

What it does seem to show is that players will go to NRC teams their club is not affiliated with, but remain at their club. Not using the NRC to poach club rugby players as many club people wanted to suggest.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Plenty of others "jumped ship" from their Club to play NRC with a franchise other than that "associated" with their Premier Rugby Club.

Same thing happens in NZL, the supposed benchmark for all things rugby.

The mob I support over there for ITM Cup is the Hawkes Bay Magpies (AKA the Gimlett Gravellers after the wine region - try some if you can get any). They are in the Hurricanes patch for Super Rugby, but many of the Magpies play Super Rugby for Chiefs, Crusaders, Bloos and Highlanders. While they play all around NZL for Super Rugby, they come "back home" for ITM cup. Most other ITM cup clubs have their players similarly dispersed.

Players will go to where they perceive their changes of game time, exposure and "career" advancement will be enhanced.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Rubbish AD.

Players already have gone to teams not linked to their club. Harry Jones for example plays for Warringah, but played for the Stars in 2015.

Sam Talaikai played for Sydney Uni in 2014 but went to Brisbane City.

Duncan Chubb played for Southern Districts in 2015 but went to Melbourne Rising.

Why? Because they want to be professional rugby players. Professionals follow opportunity.

What it does seem to show is that players will go to NRC teams their club is not affiliated with, but remain at their club. Not using the NRC to poach club rugby players as many club people wanted to suggest.

Another set of poor examples of someone who clearly just wants an opinion without having facts.

Sam Talakai was heavily courted by the Reds and asked to come up for the NRC (he got the contract). Chubb was trialled for a contract at the Rebels.

Harry Jones is really the only front liner within the NSW system to change clubs and the definition of front liner might be loose as he was not rated as the top winger by the coach (although by a lot of supporters he was rated reasonably highly).

In the case of Tom Hill and in NRC the winger from Manly who played for the Rams in 2014 they weren't even really heavily chased by the franchise they were supposed to represent. Michael Kovacic (Stars) and a few others were in this category. They were merely squad 'fillers' in injury circumstances generally.

NSW Country is a free for all anyway trying to entice anyone to be competitive with the hope of building strong ties with Randwick/Easts over the last few years + country origin players.

T

TOCC

Im confused as to what your point actually is?
There hasn't been much movement between teams in NSW, because there were already ample opportunities and not enough depth in NSW with 4 teams, the best players are already guaranteed to start.

Henry Taefu was also recruited from QLD to play for the Rams in 2014..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyhow............

I think 'NSW Country' will require a branding as they're now essentially a Sydney eastern suburbs club...........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Keep that Shute Shield hate going for every cent it's worth Slim.

It's a great pity that you let it so distort you views. You normally provide sensible and well-considered opinions on these threads.