• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
2f3c03f9e546e4d9652560347210ba9d.png

That doesn't make for a legitimate third tier competition...

Yes misses the whole point which is intermediate pathway for Super rugby and indeed opportunity for fringe super rugby players to get more game time to demonstrate their wares

T

TOCC

Yes misses the whole point which is intermediate pathway for Super rugby and indeed opportunity for fringe super rugby players to get more game time to demonstrate their wares

There's a lot of holes in the concept though, sure it might give the comp more soul by selecting 2 of the best teams from each concept but there's more questions then answers.

Firstly individual club teams in the QPR and Shute Shield are far strong then club teams from Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

Additionally what happens to all the fringe players who are in teams that don't make the competition, they sit on the sidelines and watch?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NRC starts on the 20th August, the same weekend as the Perth club rugby grand finals, some of the Perth Spirit players played the NRC match on Thursday night and then played in their club rugby grand final on Saturday.

The Shute Shield finishes only 7 days before the NRC kicks off.
ACTRU finishes 2 weeks before the NRC, and the QPR finishes 3 weeks before the NRC.

Is there a 2016 NRC draw out yet? Doesn't seem to be anything on the NRC web page - http://www.rugby.com.au/fixtures-results?competition=247&team=&season=2015&ticketed=false#fixtures

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
I was under the impression that the whole idea of the NRC was to give "young talent" a chance to play against stronger players to help them develop.

I can't really see the sense of having Super players in the teams, because they have already proved themselves at that level. Get some of the younger kids who are starting out in the Shute and let them develop.

Good for the players, the Super teams, and good for the Wallabies as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Then you got the wrong impression:)
If you are selecting teams based on their youth,then pick a fucking youth team, in a youth comp!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was under the impression that the whole idea of the NRC was to give "young talent" a chance to play against stronger players to help them develop.

I can't really see the sense of having Super players in the teams, because they have already proved themselves at that level. Get some of the younger kids who are starting out in the Shute and let them develop.

Good for the players, the Super teams, and good for the Wallabies as well.

no - its to provide a level of rugby between club and Super Rugby.

Where Super Rugby players can develop their game more (ala Frisby and Hunt)

Where fringe Super Rugby players can make a case for pro contracts (ala Holloway and Teafu)

Where young guns can get a run at a bigher level (ala Jooste and Tuttle)

Where old stages can lend their knowledge to the next generation (ala Samo and Treloar).

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Then you got the wrong impression:)
If you are selecting teams based on their youth,then pick a fucking youth team, in a youth comp!

Your usual "nicely worded reply" ILTW. Read my words again, I'm not talking about youth teams, I'm talking about young blokes who are starting to make a name for themselves.

There are quite a few playing for the Waratahs, who knows what is hiding behind the curtain :)

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
no - its to provide a level of rugby between club and Super Rugby.

Where Super Rugby players can develop their game more (ala Frisby and Hunt)

Where fringe Super Rugby players can make a case for pro contracts (ala Holloway and Teafu)

Where young guns can get a run at a bigher level (ala Jooste and Tuttle)

Where old stages can lend their knowledge to the next generation (ala Samo and Treloar).

Seems I'm outvoted on giving our young talent a go. You have mentioned 8 players, where are the rest coming from. Just can't see the sense of some teams loading up on Super players, I know that people like to win but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Be interesting to see how many of our under 25 players are going overseas because they can't get a run to prove themselves.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How many genuinely head to the Top14, English Prem or Pro12 directly from the Shute Shield and Hospitals Cup? I know Nayacalevu went straight from Melbourne Unicorns, but he'd already been capped by Fiji 7s.

While the English Championship is a better standard than the NRC, and the ProD2 is a step up again, the sort of players which will opt to go there aren't necessarily the ones who'll ever look like being Wallabies, or even Super Rugby regulars.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Your usual "nicely worded reply" ILTW. Read my words again, I'm not talking about youth teams, I'm talking about young blokes who are starting to make a name for themselves.

There are quite a few playing for the Waratahs, who knows what is hiding behind the curtain :)
You know young players dont come with an expiry date?
The idea of playing Super Players is to raise the standard to a higher level than the SS.
If a kid can't crack an NRC spot, Toulon are not calling yet.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems I'm outvoted on giving our young talent a go. You have mentioned 8 players, where are the rest coming from. Just can't see the sense of some teams loading up on Super players, I know that people like to win but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Be interesting to see how many of our under 25 players are going overseas because they can't get a run to prove themselves.

I did mention 8 players. Which is 8 more than you've mentioned.

The challenge on you. Squads are readily available. Show us where they come from

T

TOCC

Read into it a big deeper..

Brisbane City Squad 2015(35 players)
In 2015 Brisbane City only had 5 players over the age of 25(Horwill, Cooper, Genia, Higginbotham, Neville & Freeney) and of those only Higginbotham and Freeney actually played in 2015. 31 of the players were younger then 25 including 13 players who were 21 or younger.

Who are these Super Rugby players that teams are loading up on, guys like Frisby, McIntyre, Talakai, Ready, Neville and Korczyk might be Super Rugby players but they weren't getting regular Super Rugby game time in 2015. We need the fringe players to be playing competitive rugby, thats what the NRC is designed for.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

If you actually paid attention to the NRC you'd have noted a swathe of young guys taking on the challenge.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Teams like the Vikings had a concurrent program of the ACT Griffins who were JID and Canberra Vikings not selected in current match day NRC. This team played a series of games over the period of the NRC including ASRU twice, a Rams Development XV, NSW Country etc.

Teams like Vikings announced the JID players for extra squad training with the Brumbies a couple of months out and whilst there was a Rebel Rising Training Squad of Dewar Shield players annouced earlier.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Brumbies got a small pay off from the NRC on Fri with the two replacement wingers not out of place. Dargaville and Ah Wong used their Canberra Vikings time wisely.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
The Championship game has been given the green light and the winners of the NRC Brisbane City will face off against ITM Cup winners Canterbury in a game to determine the best in both competitions at the end of the 2016 Premier Grade Rugby finals.

A number of players will be out to impress in the remainder of the club rugby season. Both teams will look to field quality match day squads.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What points scoring system will apply? NRC 6 point try, 3 point conversion, 2 point PG or the more conventional system.

I'd anticipate that this fixture would be played under "normal" system. The NRC points system does dictate the skippers decisions when penalties are awarded in the opposition 1/2.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This notion that young blokes aren't getting a run in the NRC is silly IMHO. I can't speak for the other teams, but the Spirit ran a heap of blokes through the team who weren't veteran players and now some of them are making their way into the Force squad (Ainsley, Hardwick, Scoble, Koteka, RHP etc). The NRC will be nothing but good for our footy over here and I suspect our mates in Victoria and Canberra would say the same.

T

TOCC

The Championship game has been given the green light and the winners of the NRC Brisbane City will face off against ITM Cup winners Canterbury in a game to determine the best in both competitions at the end of the 2016 Premier Grade Rugby finals.

In the form of a pre-season trial or post NRC 2016?