• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Why do you think the afl and league evolved out of their state based competitions into national competions.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Agree with your other points but the VFL and NSWRL were the premier comps in the world for their respective codes. All they did was add a few teams and rebrand themselves as national.

T

TOCC

Surely the ARU would have a few different course of actions based on the outcome of which super rugby franchise will be cut/merged or whatever it may be...

or is that expecting too much

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Surely the ARU would have a few different course of actions based on the outcome of which super rugby franchise will be cut/merged or whatever it may be.

I think you answered your own question there

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Always surprised that rugby never went the NSL route back in the late 80s and early 90s. Basically, soccer set up a "national" league in the late 70s with the best of the eastern States' state league clubs, they got a national league up and running, despite the small size of the clubs and their parochial ethnic identities. Rugby would never have had the ethnic stigma strangling its growth back then like the NSL did though. In due time, the league could have expanded out to Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, like the NSL did. As time went on, the structure of the league would have settled down to teams which would have survived, teams who would have dropped out, teams which would have merged and teams which were new franchises. Would have made for an interesting alternate history.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Surely the ARU would have a few different course of actions based on the outcome of which super rugby franchise will be cut/merged or whatever it may be.

Don't the player contracts run into the spring tour? Could they force players to play nrc at the wound up franchise this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Could they force players to play nrc at the wound up franchise this year?

Maybe. But, realistically, no.

Trying to press-gang players doesn't really work.

And the comp has always been about carrot instead of stick because it doesn't pay players much. It's for guys pushing their career options forward in terms of playing Soup.

Now, while I'm sure there would still be more than a squad of good clubbies still keen to play in the NRC without a Super club running the team, it then becomes a question of who is paying for it.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe. But, realistically, no.

Trying to press-gang players doesn't really work.

And the comp has always been about carrot instead of stick because it doesn't pay players much. It's for guys pushing their career options forward in terms of playing Soup.

Now, while I'm sure there would still be more than a squad of good clubbies still keen to play in the NRC without a Super club running the team, it then becomes a question of who is paying for it.
Agree it is not a good idea, but recent track record doesn't show many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure if this has been seen already but Buildcorp, BMW, and Lion Nathan are withdrawing from NRC and other ARU sponsorships respectively. Will this impact the NRC's core financial viability?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

You'll note that the trigger issue was the non-establishment of a national women's competition - something which I suggested that the ARU do over a year ago.

Seriously, even after winning an Olympic gold medal in women's 7s, the ARU still manage (a) not to take advantage of it and (b) f**k it up.

Sounds like a women's NRC wouldn't have cost them anything as Buildcorp wre going to fund it. Probably would have been on FTA as well.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
You'll note that the trigger issue was the non-establishment of a national women's competition - something which I suggested that the ARU do over a year ago.

Seriously, even after winning an Olympic gold medal in women's 7s, the ARU still manage (a) not to take advantage of it and (b) f**k it up.

Sounds like a women's NRC wouldn't have cost them anything as Buildcorp wre going to fund it. Probably would have been on FTA as well.

So they could have got the womens NRC on FTA but not the mens??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So they could have got the womens NRC on FTA but not the mens??

In case you haven't noticed, the demand for womens's sport on FTA is running hot. Cricket, Aussie rules, soccer and netball to name a few. Why do you reckon that Buildcorp were so keen on it?

So yes, we'd have a much better chance of getting a women's NRC on than the men's version.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
In case you haven't noticed, the demand for womens's sport on FTA is running hot. Cricket, Aussie rules, soccer and netball to name a few. Why do you reckon that Buildcorp were so keen on it?

So yes, we'd have a much better chance of getting a women's NRC on than the men's version.
I'm not in the media game but I suspect that less people watch the women's versions of all of those sports than the men's versions on TV with the exception of netball. By a significant margin.

I'm attuned to the growth in viewership of women's sport on FTA, but if the anticipated viewership of the men's NRC on FTA was fuck all, what percentage of fuck all were they anticipating the viewership of the women's version being?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not in the media game but I suspect that less people watch the women's versions of all of those sports than the men's versions on TV with the exception of netball. By a significant margin.

I'm attuned to the growth in viewership of women's sport on FTA, but if the anticipated viewership of the men's NRC on FTA was fuck all, what percentage of fuck all were they anticipating the viewership of the women's version being?

I'm not saying that there's any particular logic to it, just that FTA stations want to televise women's sport. 3 hours of women's BBL on channel Ten every week, all women's AFL games were on FTA, Women's A league games on FTA, Netball every Sunday afternoon. There's lots of things in this world which make no sense, but it's what the networks want. There may even be some sort of big brother watching the networks and counting the hours of women's sport.

And let's not forget that there's also a significant sponsor (run by a woman) who wanted to back a women's NRC and were prepared to withdraw from the men's version if it didn't happen (which has occurred).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Would there even be enough players of a standard to "create" a womens' NRC? Serious question.

People said the same thing about the AFL women's competition. If it had sponsorship and some TV coverage you'd probably attract athletes from other sports (even rugby league). Women's sports stars still seem to be able to play more than one sport at the elite level.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm not saying that there's any particular logic to it, just that FTA stations want to televise women's sport. 3 hours of women's BBL on channel Ten every week, all women's AFL games were on FTA, Women's A league games on FTA, Netball every Sunday afternoon. There's lots of things in this world which make no sense, but it's what the networks want. There may even be some sort of big brother watching the networks and counting the hours of women's sport.

And let's not forget that there's also a significant sponsor (run by a woman) who wanted to back a women's NRC and were prepared to withdraw from the men's version if it didn't happen (which has occurred).
Ok fair enough. It's a woman thing, but is that enough to offset the rugby thing (I.e. On the nose)? I can understand that she'd want to get it on FTA, and maybe the networks are looking for more women's sport content..but they still need people to watch it to justify the expense of sending the broadcast teams and equipment to cover the games, let alone trying to sell the ad space. And if they'd gone to all that effort to cover the curtain raiser surely they'd cover the main event too? Maybe that was the proposed benefit that was ignored by the ARU.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok fair enough. It's a woman thing, but is that enough to offset the rugby thing (I.e. On the nose)? I can understand that she'd want to get it on FTA, and maybe the networks are looking for more women's sport content..but they still need people to watch it to justify the expense of sending the broadcast teams and equipment to cover the games, let alone trying to sell the ad space. And if they'd gone to all that effort to cover the curtain raiser surely they'd cover the main event too? Maybe that was the proposed benefit that was ignored by the ARU.

That was the point that I made when I made the suggestion months ago.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Fans leaving rugby in droves, sponsors leaving rugby in droves....and the ARU in its present form still continues to remain in existence....apparently if the ARU gets to a position where struggles to fund its own salaries the NRL and AFL and A-League are willing to step into pay for ARU salaries. Apparently for what it will cost them it is the best investment to ensure their sports continue to grow at the expense of rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would there even be enough players of a standard to "create" a womens' NRC? Serious question.
KOB suggests not.
But if buildcorp were willing to foot the bill it's not the aru's issue - assuming they had not made one of thos inconsistent promises they are fond of.
Much as I hate to reserve judgment on anything with the ARUs finger prints on it I think there is something decisive we don't yet know about.