• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As an aside, remember the simpler times when one of the top talking point of this forum was that a 3rd tier was necessary and not having one was why Australian rugby was failing? This was maybe 2012, and the reasoning was NZ and SA were doing it and it was working so well.

Now we've moved on to different bug bears, and the NRC is to blame? Ludicrous.

The NRC is having an impact but not as big as we would've hoped. It's certainly not the cause of the issues, they were already there.

T

TOCC

The ARU has indicated that money taxed from grassroots is going directly to fund the NRC. Where else do you think the money is coming from? Crowd takings, sponsors, TV rights?

That's complete bullshit..
NRC breaks even at an ARU a level, that was the basis of the tournament, that the logistical costs are covered. Player payments are minimal, which was the big change from ARC version 1, other costs like the coaches wage and S&C are covered by the individual teams.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
NRC breaks even at an ARU a level, that was the basis of the tournament, that the logistical costs are covered. Player payments are minimal, which was the big change from ARC version 1, other costs like the coaches wage and S&C are covered by the individual teams.

Hmm - cant say i know the cash flow of the ARU / NRC.

But I will say over recent years there are similarities to our current politics - every one is pointing fingers, changing blame, twisting communications - it's giving me the shits, who else else has got the SHITS???

The Phantom Menace

Frank Row (1)

Sadly its not. Over $1m has been taken from the base to pay for what in theory was a good idea. Sadly it hasn't caught the imagination of the rugby public, let alone Joe Punter on the street and has had a devastating impact on the grassroots.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly its not. Over $1m has been taken from the base to pay for what in theory was a good idea. Sadly it hasn't caught the imagination of the rugby public, let alone Joe Punter on the street and has had a devastating impact on the grassroots.

Firstly, it hasn't. The NRC is cost neutral.

Secondly, even if it was if you do me a cost benefit analysis and tell me with a straight face the NRC wouldn't be worth $1m dollars a year.

The NRC money does not come from the same pot club money comes from. It generates enough $$ to break neutral from TV rights, sponsors, and some other wizardry.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Can I ask for the direct evidence on that? The prevailing narrative from media, the ARU and Super Sides, and and, at least from the Melbourne Rugby community is that between Foxtel and Sponsorship money provides most funding necessary, with only gaps such as ground hire and payment of players beyond whatever number of players had in the named squads (I think it was 32?).

T

TOCC

You having a laugh, let's say this is the slightest bit true, you're going to tell me competition which costs $300,000/annum($1million over 3 years) is having a devastating impact on grassroots... considering that this $300'000 represents less then 0.3% of the ARU's annual revenue?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the inflated corporate budget and overpaid fat cats.. and just to put it into perspective, the ARU have spent the same amount for Pocock to take a sabbatical for 12 months as they have on funding the NRC for 3 years...

But yeah... it must be the NRC's fault

The Phantom Menace

Frank Row (1)
You having a laugh, let's say this is the slightest bit true, you're going to tell me competition which costs $300,000/annum($1million over 3 years) is having a devastating impact on grassroots. considering that this $300'000 represents less then 0.3% of the ARU's annual revenue?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the inflated corporate budget and overpaid fat cats.. and just to put it into perspective, the ARU have spent the same amount for Pocock to take a sabbatical for 12 months as they have on funding the NRC for 3 years.

But yeah. it must be the NRC's fault

I'm not suggesting the NRC that is at fault. Its the ARU!

If you think making junior and suburban rugby clubs pay a $5000 per club "ARU LEVY" to fund the NRC is acceptable then we agree to disagree. Sadly rugby is the only code in which money flows from the bottom of the pyramid to the top.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not suggesting the NRC that is at fault. Its the ARU!

If you think making junior and suburban rugby clubs pay a $5000 per club "ARU LEVY" to fund the NRC is acceptable then we agree to disagree. Sadly rugby is the only code in which money flows from the bottom of the pyramid to the top.
Is that where the levy is going though? I had always understood the NRC is cost neutral.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Exactly what I expected.

A levy introduced at roughly same time as the NRC, is being falsely correlated with funding the NRC.

Whereas AFAIK, the levy was introduced because it was the longest possible time between significant external funding: a BILs tour in the previous year meant that it was 11 years before the next one, and there were no plans to bid for 2023 World Cup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Ok, time to bust some myths....

ARU cover logistical costs through the $2million/annum broadcast rights agreement with Foxsports and Foxtel sponsorship, the other big cost difference between this tournament and the ARC is player payments. During the ARC player payments were $3million, during the NRC there are only nominal player payments with total wages coming in at closer to $500,000 across the entire tournament.

Buildcorps sponsorship was worth $350,000? per annum, and as indicated by the Vikings, the loss of this sponsorship and failure to secure a new one would see the cost shifted onto the participating teams and not the ARU(or grassroots) as some would have us believe.

“It’s already sustainable. We’ve run it for two years. It has broken even both years. There’s no financial challenge with it. It’s locked up in our brodcast agreements right through 2020, so sustainability is not an issue.” Pulver said.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's nothing more irritating in life than people that think they have a right to have an opinion that's counter factual. This is a yes or no situation, not a opinion based discussion.

Sometimes the answer to a question is opinion based, for example "is the NRC good for Australian rugby?". Sometime the answer is binary, for example "does the levy to grass routes fund the NRC?".

In the case of the second question the answer is no, it does not.

T

TOCC

NRC draw to be announced in coming week, with 9 teams and a bye round

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I guess that dispels another rumour that one of the teams is getting cut...

I would envisage that if a team is cut from NRC it will be next year. The Force and Rebels currently have significant input into Spirit and Rising squads. Next year the NRC squad of the cut Super Rugby team would be predominantly local talent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH don't be so defensive. If you can't see that I have come behind the SRU agin the ARU, I don't know how to further clarify. Yep I'm getting behind the only obvious counter and yep I have unresolved concerns.

But I'm not simply a knee jerk reaction to the SS. Not by a long way.

One thing I definitely don't get, is the disparagement to the 'Nobody Really Cares" competition. I would in genuine all seriousness like to understand ANY alternative for these funds in cross over from Premier rugby to Soup.

Take it for a given that tribalism works against the NRC and is a guaranteed point in favour of the right alternative.

And yes emotion is a tricky thing. Don't stop trying though.

My comment wasn't directed in your direction.:)

Reactions: dru