• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
SDW match of the rounds is joeys v scots

Heart says joeys, and depending on whether scots is with or without Yasmin... head also says joeys ... better forwards and at home

While scots somehow not quite clicking this year

Tipping joeys to win in a tight one... with Dylan Dowling proving the difference

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands any chance of a report and scores. Also will the 13s go into camp for their preparation against Trinity.
Kind Regards
B&W

Will do my best to get reports back.

They arrive back from GC two or three days before the Trinity fixture, so they'll have already been on tour for 10 days before the match.

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
J v S certainly the match of the round here.

Scots by 10 over J if Yasmin is playing, his ability to shutdown opposition outside backs is unmatched, despite his hot-headedness at times.

View by 15 over N. View have been in good form over the last couple of matches, and the long weekend has allowed their injured players to return to the side.

Kings by a lot. The Shoremen seem to be in some trouble this season unfortunately, and a red-hot Kings team could make things ugly.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I will bring up my preview of the thirds round later today, but first a message from the sponsors:

Old Armidalians - after the TAS v Sydney Grammar First XV fixture on Backfield on Saturday (kick off 11.30am), why not stay on and join OA and former Wallaby Jamie Holbeck and other alumni, parents and friends of the school to watch the Wallabies v Scotland in the Hoskins Centre. ...all welcome!!
I am sure Grammar supporters who don't have to rush back would be welcome too

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
After round two, the GPS thirds competition can only be described as tight. Just 19 points separated the winning and loosing teams across the four games played. No side was disgraced, with all playing competitive rugby.

At the end of the second round, two teams (Joeys, TAS) are on four points, three teams (Grammar, View and High) are on two points, two teams (Scots, Kings) on one point with only Shore yet to open its account.

Going into the round, the big question, the premiership one, was whether anyone could beat Joeys and to a lesser degree TAS. Both Joeys and TAS won, but just.

Joeys won against Kings 14-12. Joeys attacked constantly in the second half, but fierce Kings defence kept them out. Then, with a couple of minutes to go, Kings missed a penalty just in front. On such small things are matches and indeed competitions decided.

TAS won against Scots 14-10 in a second thriller. Ten minutes in,Edward Pitt scored for TAS next to the posts, with Harry Pollard converting. There were no further first half points, with TAS leading 7-0 at half time.

Not long into the second half, TAS won a lineout deep in the opposition’s territory with flanker Michael Baldock propelling himself over the tryline. Love it when breakaways or indeed any forward scores. We do the work and the show ponies in the backs get the credit. But then, I’m biased! Pollard converted, making the score 14-0.

A degree of ill-discipline resulted in two yellow cards to TAS, letting Scots back into the game with two tries. Scots could not convert, with TAS then holding its line in the face of rolling Scots attacks. TAS finally won, but like the Joeys’ match, it was a close run thing.

Grammar just squeaked home against Shore 8-5. There was a long injury break that unsettled Grammar, with the Shore boys playing with more determination after the break. In the end, Grammar’s victory was settled by a penalty with both teams one unconverted try each. Grammar appears struggling to settle and were lucky not to lose this one.

In the final game, View defeated High 15-5. This was a closer contest than the score line would suggest, with View winning in the end by capitalising on High errors. This High side is much better than the pre-season results indicated. I think they are learning and agree with Huly that they have the capacity to upset.

In all, a great round.

Now we come to round three.

In the first match, Iggies is playing Scots. Based on the results to this point, I think that this should be a very close contest that either side could win. I hesitate to pick a winner, but am inclined to favour Scots – just.

In match two, Shore plays Kings. Results to date suggest a Kings victory.

In match three, Joeys play High. High starts as the emotional favourite, but based on the preseasons in particular Joeys has to be strongly favoured. High is improving, but is it enough? Joeys to win and by a considerable margin, but fingers and toes crossed for an upset.

Finally, Grammar travels into the High Country to play TAS in that team’s only home match. On the results to date, TAS has to be favoured. However, and I don’t know whether its just the extra stimulus provided by the cold, Grammar has a bad habit of surprising TAS at home. TAS to win, but I have fingers and toes crossed.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Will do my best to get reports back.

They arrive back from GC two or three days before the Trinity fixture, so they'll have already been on tour for 10 days before the match.

Thanks Quick Hands,sounds like they will be well prepared for their first Newington/Trinty Game. Also, I believe the 15s will be returning from Tonga, so New boys are really getting the benefits of what Rugby has to offer in terms of touring. Well done to Ben Manion, for his efforts, together with their coaches.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
J v S certainly the match of the round here.

Scots by 10 over J if Yasmin is playing, his ability to shutdown opposition outside backs is unmatched, despite his hot-headedness at times.

View by 15 over N. View have been in good form over the last couple of matches, and the long weekend has allowed their injured players to return to the side.

Kings by a lot. The Shoremen seem to be in some trouble this season unfortunately, and a red-hot Kings team could make things ugly.

Yasmin is a great player no doubt about that and would be one of the first wingers picked in GPS but if you saw the trial v Joeys I don't think he would have been noted for his defence (including cover tackling) - and like most big men can struggle to turn and chase. Scots might miss his explosive running but regardless they will have an able replacement who brings skills in other areas besides attack. If he is missing tomorrow don't think for a minute that Joeys will believe that their job has been made a whole lot easier.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After round two, the GPS thirds competition can only be described as tight. Just 19 points separated the winning and loosing teams across the four games played. No side was disgraced, with all playing competitive rugby.

At the end of the second round, two teams (Joeys, TAS) are on four points, three teams (Grammar, View and High) are on two points, two teams (Scots, Kings) on one point with only Shore yet to open its account.

Going into the round, the big question, the premiership one, was whether anyone could beat Joeys and to a lesser degree TAS. Both Joeys and TAS won, but just.

Joeys won against Kings 14-12. Joeys attacked constantly in the second half, but fierce Kings defence kept them out. Then, with a couple of minutes to go, Kings missed a penalty just in front. On such small things are matches and indeed competitions decided.

TAS won against Scots 14-10 in a second thriller. Ten minutes in,Edward Pitt scored for TAS next to the posts, with Harry Pollard converting. There were no further first half points, with TAS leading 7-0 at half time.

Not long into the second half, TAS won a lineout deep in the opposition’s territory with flanker Michael Baldock propelling himself over the tryline. Love it when breakaways or indeed any forward scores. We do the work and the show ponies in the backs get the credit. But then, I’m biased! Pollard converted, making the score 14-0.

A degree of ill-discipline resulted in two yellow cards to TAS, letting Scots back into the game with two tries. Scots could not convert, with TAS then holding its line in the face of rolling Scots attacks. TAS finally won, but like the Joeys’ match, it was a close run thing.

Grammar just squeaked home against Shore 8-5. There was a long injury break that unsettled Grammar, with the Shore boys playing with more determination after the break. In the end, Grammar’s victory was settled by a penalty with both teams one unconverted try each. Grammar appears struggling to settle and were lucky not to lose this one.

In the final game, View defeated High 15-5. This was a closer contest than the score line would suggest, with View winning in the end by capitalising on High errors. This High side is much better than the pre-season results indicated. I think they are learning and agree with Huly that they have the capacity to upset.

In all, a great round.

Now we come to round three.

In the first match, Iggies is playing Scots. Based on the results to this point, I think that this should be a very close contest that either side could win. I hesitate to pick a winner, but am inclined to favour Scots – just.

In match two, Shore plays Kings. Results to date suggest a Kings victory.

In match three, Joeys play High. High starts as the emotional favourite, but based on the preseasons in particular Joeys has to be strongly favoured. High is improving, but is it enough? Joeys to win and by a considerable margin, but fingers and toes crossed for an upset.

Finally, Grammar travels into the High Country to play TAS in that team’s only home match. On the results to date, TAS has to be favoured. However, and I don’t know whether its just the extra stimulus provided by the cold, Grammar has a bad habit of surprising TAS at home. TAS to win, but I have fingers and toes crossed.
Will you be in Armidale Jim?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
The trialling is all done; combinations all tried and tested; preparations now all made; the best team now chosen.
The honour of representing their school, and the heavy burden of responsibility that goes with selection.
The time to get serious has arrived!

The work that has gone into making the Joeys' Dad's BBQ the "best in the business" should be doubted by no-one!
So, go hard all you Joeys' Dads. The eyes of the GPS will be upon you today! ;)

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
First results from New England's beautiful high country where Grammar is wrestling with TAS.

In the 13As TAS was up 14-0 at half time. In the 13Bs Tas won 33-10 with Tto Tries by Jono Phelps and Henry Starr and conversions by Jack hedges and Daniel Morgan and will Warton.

In the 14As, the half time score was 14-14! In the 14Bs Tas lost 41-22. In the 15As Grammar was in front 12-0.

In the 16As, TAS was in front at half time 12-5, but it's a tough game. TAS won the 16Bs 15-5.

It appears that TAS won the seconds :) 24-12 after a tight contest. The first are underway, but I have no results to report at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.