• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, lets hope by chance that a few new boys are enrolled for entry in year 10, that coincidentally can play rugby.

Unfortunately that can't happen. The enrolment policy is pretty straight forward - there is a numbered queue which starts the second after the kids are born, no exceptions to jumping it, no sports scholarships. I wish it was different but it is what it is. Hopefully we can find a 16YO tight head prop who plays the tuba and can afford boarding as thats pretty much the only way in. Last year only three boys left Yr8, one was an indigenous scholarship and he wasn't replaced.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unfortunately that can't happen. The enrolment policy is pretty straight forward - there is a numbered queue which starts the second after the kids are born, no exceptions to jumping it, no sports scholarships. I wish it was different but it is what it is. Hopefully we can find a 16YO tight head prop who plays the tuba and can afford boarding as thats pretty much the only way in. Last year only three boys left Yr8, one was an indigenous scholarship and he wasn't replaced.

There is always a few new entries for various reasons. Y11 will see some more

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Out of interest, what are these reasons? I thought that Shore had suffered some injuries three weeks in a row last term and didn't have enough quality back-up from the Bs to step up into As for safety reasons, and thus took the decision to withdraw.

I saw parts of the Shore v Cranbrook 15As on Saturday and Shore seemed completely dominant in all facets of the game. Are the injured boys back now?

Yes they had a good win against Cranbrook but Cranbrook lost interest after 20 minutes so it became lopsided.
I wish the answer to the current situation was injuries. The only significant injuries they had were one centre for the season (rep basketball), the other centre to concussion for two weeks, a no.8 for a few weeks and a prop for two weeks after the Newington game. All very good players but not critical losses in a 15 man game. And all bar one are available again from this coming weekend.

I probably can't go too deeply into my view on the reasons for the 15A's demise for fear of breaching forum rules etc. However I have been watching this age group since U13's and I will say that it was really noticeable and equally strange how the A team personnel at two other schools in particular changed dramatically in yr 8 and yr9. To add some context, Shore were very competitive in U13's with a number of wins, had a win and a draw in u14's but this year things were very very different. So they weren't always a weak team, other teams seemed to literally grow a leg this year for some reason:rolleyes: . I have been involved in rep rugby in this age group so I recognise a LOT of the opposition kids at particular schools. Ask yourself this question - how is it that the A's at Shore relatively so weak when their B's are still winning games against some of the same schools? Coaching does contribute etc but the A team in this age group is seriously outgunned - two games in particular were just outright dangerous. I don't want this to sound like a rant - it isn't - and Im not denigrating any of the kids who play for other schools as I have seen some amazing skills and talent. I have just been left a little stunned this year by what I have seen from a competition imbalance perspective. It isn't healthy only having 5 competitive schools (with a question mark as to whether it is actually only 4).

Not all is lost - the 15's go down to F's with reserves and 15D's are undefeated. The 13's and 14's are strong and the 16A's are really competitive. However I do worry about the 16A's for next year and there is no guarantee they will field this team in GPS - it is subject to a review by the school.

The good news however is the average yr9 Erg scores were the best in about 10 years so bring on rowing season:(

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a simple solution all the schools could agree to.

Any boy that would gain selection in the A team in next up age group should play there.

This should especially apply to boys that are significantly heavier than the mean for the age group.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
trying to remember the year Shore beat Joeys ... thinking it must have been 1997 ... as in that year I think Shore had 3 Aussie schoolboys ... Phil Waugh, Mike Hercus and Hugh Brakell ... not shore if Shore has ever had (before or after) as many Aussie schoolboys as that year

certainly a shame that Shore rugby seems on the slide
again looking like cellar dwellers in 2017

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
trying to remember the year Shore beat Joeys . thinking it must have been 1997 . as in that year I think Shore had 3 Aussie schoolboys . Phil Waugh, Mike Hercus and Hugh Brakell . not shore if Shore has ever had (before or after) as many Aussie schoolboys as that year

certainly a shame that Shore rugby seems on the slide
again looking like cellar dwellers in 2017
Last year was pretty good for schoolboy selection. Sutton picked for Schoolboys; Rixon for Barbarians and Haskins close (he did get injured around trials).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ask yourself this question - how is it that the A's at Shore relatively so weak when their B's are still winning games against some of the same schools? Coaching does contribute etc but the A team in this age group is seriously outgunned - two games in particular were just outright dangerous.

I'm not doubting anything that you say in your full post.

In relation to the highlighted bit, that's probably not really a valid argument - for example I notice that the 15B score at Northbridge was 29-26 to Shore. It's not that unusual that a school has a big win in As but the Bs is closer with sometimes the other school winning.

I also noted that the scores were all reasonably close in the other A games

13A 24-14 to New
14A 24-14 to Shore
16A was close (not sure of score, but similar margin)

Difficult to judge some of the lower games in some age groups as there were TAS teams in the mix and thus games were offset and some New teams were playing other schools.

I wish genuinely wish the Shore 15As all the best with their rugby - I saw them play a half up on the Gold Coast in the holidays and I was struck by how small they were in comparison with other teams up there.

EDIT: And the 13A game is the closest that anyone has got to the New 13As so far this year.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys 1991 was an incredible team

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Yep we (Kings) lost 17-6 to the Joeys 91 team. All others lost by ~50. 2 boys from Kings who finished in 90 repeated year 12 at Joeys in 91!!!!! So they could win a premiership.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yep we (Kings) lost 17-6 to the Joeys 91 team. All others lost by ~50. 2 boys from Kings who finished in 90 repeated year 12 at Joeys in 91!!!!! So they could win a premiership.

I remember j carroll on the wing for joeys ex kings. Blonde Adonis and built like a tank.
Joeys had about 5 aust schoolboys in that side.
They beat us (sgs) by thirty odd.
Joeys were masters of the year 13 circus.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
I remember j carroll on the wing for joeys ex kings. Blonde Adonis and built like a tank.
Joeys had about 5 aust schoolboys in that side.
They beat us (sgs) by thirty odd.
Joeys were masters of the year 13 circus.

Also a prop, Joyner. Both great blokes. I would like to think we beat them in the forwards but we couldn't hold their backs. enough reminiscing......that was the game I remember most and yes it involved Joeys again. Perhaps I envy those of you who have a beating Joeys story. It didn't happen in my era.....then other schools caught up.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I keep waiting for the joeys dominance to re-assert itself

I know they continue to dominate virtually everything outside of the 1st xv

.....waiting for a return to "normal programming"

It isn't just scots regularly beating joeys now

And not used to seeing joeys on bottom of the table

I keep wondering if joeys are picking too many youngsters

A kid in year 10 or 11 might be faster, more agile, more athletic... but if you send out a team full of baby faced stars and with not enough year 12 hard heads, you run the risk of being outmuscled

Might be different if the game ran 20 minutes longer ... like it seemed to back in the day

Anyway what do I know ... maybe it is the fact that the number of country boys in joeys is way down, has impacted

Anyway I can definitely see joeys being favourites in 2018... unless kings brings up the kid in the 14As

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Anyway I can definitely see joeys being favourites in 2018. unless kings brings up the kid in the 14As

SBW

What makes you think Joeys would be favourites for 2018. I don't disagree with you, but was a bit surprised to read that.

With Scots, for example, 7 of the 2017 side are in year 11 and a few in 2nds too. Plus their 16As have won first 2 round of comp beating Joeys and Riverview, by decent margins in both games.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rich e, it's the backs I like ... by 2018 joeys young backs including some that are in 2nds and 16As( have had some opens opportunities), are going to be awesome

Will 2018 be a 1 round comp?

The whole question of too young a backs reminds me of story I heard

In 1985 a young Darren junee was brought into the joeys team... an absolute star ... and everyone knew it, he was after all Kevin junees son ...but to be promoted in year 10 when you had kids running around in year 13 , was brave/crazy

this was with young Dazza in year 10... and a notorious asthmatic...and not overly big ... and not due to finish school until 1987

Apparently it all unravelled against kings .. and I won't go into the details ..partly because I have forgotten them and partly because I know Darren is an all round nice guy... but poor old Darren was the villain

he effectively put a rare 1985 premiership into hands of shore, and the shore boys all thanked him for it

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Fair enough SBW.

Joey's will have an awesome backline in 2018. For example, the year 10 lads who have played 1st for Joeys this year have been really impressive.

But i am expecting Scots will have a very dominant forward pack with Williams (4), Wellington (6), Robson (7) and Harris (8) from this year's 1st XV all back next year.

BTW 4, 6 and 8 are all benefiting IMO from playing 1sts or 2nds last year, in year 10.

Add Nathan Zylstra (2) from 2nds and 2016 NSW u16s, Daniel Botha (1) 2017 16As and NSW u16s and Joe Brial (8) 2017 16As and NSW u16s, and you have the makings of a very good pack of forwards.

Anyway, enough about next year.

Still 3 awesome rounds remaining..

Status
Not open for further replies.