• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The Joeys boys celebrating after wining U16 GPS,CAS, CHS, CCC,ISA COMPETITION AT Daceyville!
GPS getting over CAS 19-17 in final. Well done boys

66078248_440283943218279_7795619195634319360_n.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
beg to differ QH - certainly in the past the policy was to select the whole 1st XV squad ahead of the 2nd XV. The logic was that the 1st XV reserves, to get priority in replacements for the run-on side, should naturally be higher in the pecking order than 2nd XV players. Whether that still applies I don't know.
100% they picked starting XV for each side before reserves were selected.
Next to be selected were reserves for 2nds, and finally reserves for 1sts.
As explained to me by 2 different selectors.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
100% they picked starting XV for each side before reserves were selected.
Next to be selected were reserves for 2nds, and finally reserves for 1sts.
As explained to me by 2 different selectors.

Can you explain why they pick 2ND Reserves before 1ST Reserves ? Just interested to understand the strategy.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Dunno, it makes no sense to me.
I’ve seen shadow players come into the 1’s squad, then an early injury and they play the majority of the games as a starter in 1’s despite being ranked 5th in their position.

I can only assume going back in time the 1’s were there to win, so starters would play maximum minutes.
Whilst the 2’s were to share it around more, with the 2nd & 3rd picks getting more equal time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Dunno, it makes no sense to me.
I’ve seen shadow players come into the 1’s squad, then an early injury and they play the majority of the games as a starter in 1’s despite being ranked 5th in their position.

I can only assume going back in time the 1’s were there to win, so starters would play maximum minutes.
Whilst the 2’s were to share it around more, with the 2nd & 3rd picks getting more equal time.

It's probably also why NSW2 have had some success over the years - one year at least even beating NSW1 in the final IIRC.

S

sidelineview

I believe that has only happened twice. 2016 and then back around 1978 when the Ella boys were in GPS 2.

Sidelineview knows the ins and out of that history

One of the Ella bros was in NSW1 and 2 of them including Mark were in the 2s when NSW2 defeated the 1s in the Final.
In 2016 NSW2 were lucky to scrape into the Final but convincingly defeated the 1s in that game.

S

sidelineview

2016 was the year I was thinking about.

NSW2 have won the Nationals three times since 1975: 77, 79 & 2016.
NSW2 have beaten NSW1 twice in the Final: 77 & 2016.

!977 was the year the Ella Bros, from CHS and Matraville High played.
The Australian Schoolboys that year went on to sweep all before them on their European tour, receiving rave reviews.
Wally Lewis couldn't make the run on side.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
One of the Ella bros was in NSW1 and 2 of them including Mark were in the 2s when NSW2 defeated the 1s in the Final.
In 2016 NSW2 were lucky to scrape into the Final but convincingly defeated the 1s in that game.
Mark was also in the CHS 2ND XV in '77. Tony Melrose was the First XV pick. These were mighty, mighty teams. The disintegration of CHS and bush rugby is a disgrace and at the centre of why rugby union is on its knees.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
There is a famous story of the Joeys 1st XV playing a trial match against the Matravile Boys High XV in 1977. In that game the Ella boys ran rings around the Joeys lads. The coach (former Wallaby Br Terrence Curley) yelled out from the sideline, "tackle the black boy," to which the Joeys captain replied, "which one, there are hundreds of them"

Terry Curley made his Test debut as an 18-year old, 12 days before his 19th birthday against a formidable All Blacks side. His performance earned him selection in the Wallabies tour to Britain, where he starred in 34 matches throughout Britain, France and America, including all five Tests. His next tour was to New Zealand where his goal kicking helped secure the Wallabies a famous three-point win in Christchurch. He then retired at 20 and became a Marist Brother.

161018-vale-wallaby-terry-curley.jpeg

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
he starred in 34 matches throughout Britain, France and America, including all five Tests

The extended tour - another lost tradition that worked so well in the development of Test players.

Status
Not open for further replies.