• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
great to see Hansen filling in the boots of his old man and good to see some quality depth in a school other than joeys, keen to go out to BH to watch the flying scotsmen give the joeys boys a good run for their money

Hansen played well by all accounts. Nothing fancy but got the job done. Also scored a try on debut!

Scots lower opens grades are looking exceptional. They clean swept Newington, and the only loss on the day was the 6ths against Cranbrook 4ths. The 4ths trounced Cranbrook 3rds 42-nil a lot of up-and-comers in that tea., 5ths also looked dominant with a 52-10 win against New 4ths. The prop Mackenzie Beardsell standing out with his Dane Coles esque runs.

Scots 3rds shaping up well the fullback Jack Murdoch who has the potential to play ones but deciding to play 3rds (Jack Maddocks anyone?). Another standout Ed McCowan (NSW Schools u16 Prop) leading up the forward pack, all held together by the flying fijian Rob Heritage. Serious contender for Col Windon Shield.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
two random questions:
1. Nick Chan from Joeys - is this the same boy whose named has appeared in the Joeys 1sts and 2nds team 1sts for at least 3 years now? If so why hasn't he had higher honours since playing in Joeys 1sts/2nds for 3 years+ is quite a feat ?
2. Why isn't Cranbook stronger in the CAS? I would have thought 1. the demographic of their student population would be ideal for rugby and 2. They could easily afford to buy players if lacking in "homegrown" talent.

R

RuggerFan1

two random questions:
1. Nick Chan from Joeys - is this the same boy who's named has appeared in the Joeys 1sts and 2nds team 1sts for at least 3 years now? If so why hasn't he had higher honours since playing in Joeys 1sts/2nds for 3 years+ is quite a feat ?
2. Why isn't Cranbook stronger in the CAS? I would have thought 1. the demographic of their student population would be ideal for rugby and 2. They could easily afford to buy players if lacking in "homegrown" talent.
Cranbrook isnt exactly known for breeding the most manly man, nor its sporting prowess. I think its got to do with the culture of the school. One of bludging and not pushing yourself in the sporting arena.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Cranbrook have a much lower student intake than Scots therefore a much lower talent pool. Usually put up a decent fight in the lower years however often boys drop out in senior years to concentrate on studies so the top boys in year ten fill gaps. Every now and then they put a solid team out. Last time they bet Scots if my memory is correct was 1995, however in the early 2000's they may have.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Scots lower opens grades are looking exceptional. They clean swept Newington, and the only loss on the day was the 6ths against Cranbrook 4ths. The 4ths trounced Cranbrook 3rds 42-nil a lot of up-and-comers in that team. 5ths also looked dominant with a 52-10 win against New 4ths. The prop Mackenzie Beardsell standing out with his Dane Coles esque runs.

Scots 3rds shaping up well the fullback Jack Murdoch who has the potential to play ones but deciding to play 3rds (Jack Maddocks anyone?). Another standout Ed McCowan (NSW Schools u16 Prop) leading up the forward pack, all held together by the flying fijian Rob Heritage. Serious contender for Col Windon Shield.

Hello RuggerFan1
Without doubt Scots will bring the advantage of massive depth against a schools like Newington and Cranbrook. Looking on the Scots website, they go down to the 9ths in the opens. Newington on the other hand goes to the 6ths, I shall not go into the reasons why this difference exits. But depth, gives schools such as Joeys,Scots and View a distinct advantage over their opponents. Boarding also contributes to this advantage.

Newington will be competitive as a rule in the top teams( although Saturday's Scots result might disagree with that belief) but will be unable to compete in the open division and in particular the lower opens against school like Scots.In fact I feel Newington does a very good job, fielding the number and quality of teams that it does.

After the Russian victory by the larger Red Army over the more tactical and operational superior German Army. Joseph Stalin told western officials, that quantity has its own quality.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
After the Russian victory by the larger Red Army over the more tactical and operational superior German Army. Joseph Stalin told western officials, that quantity has its own quality.

30sghp.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
New only beat Trinity by a couple of tries, Shore aren’t too far behind them nor Joeys. Kings and Scots will be a different matter.

Hello Up the Guts
Actually, the score was 39-14 7 tries to 2. Yes the half the half time score was 19-14 and the game was very close. But the second saw New literally run away with the game through their backline. Just a pity that Scots was such a superior side on Saturday and closed down this backline.

That where the challenge for Shore will be when it faces Newington. Knox put immense pressure on the New pack. But it made little impact, the backline still had enough possession to gallop away with the score. Thus in essence, Shore will need a match plan that dominates forward possession, but also negates the New backline.

While Newington needs to develop a forward pack that can assist the backline by becoming a pack full of breakaways. In so doing a style of play that emulates the old Randwick running rugby should be Newington's match plan. Particularly, as the New pack doesn't appear to be massive in size, as in past years.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hello Up the Guts
Actually, the score was 39-14 7 tries to 2. Yes the half the half time score was 19-14 and the game was very close. But the second saw New literally run away with the game through their backline. Just a pity that Scots was such a superior side on Saturday and closed down this backline.

That where the challenge for Shore will be when it faces Newington. Knox put immense pressure on the New pack. But it made little impact, the backline still had enough possession to gallop away with the score. Thus in essence, Shore will need a match plan that dominates forward possession, but also negates the New backline.

While Newington needs to develop a forward pack that can assist the backline by becoming a pack full of breakaways. In so doing a style of play that emulates the old Randwick running rugby should be Newington's match plan. Particularly, as the New pack doesn't appear to be massive in size, as in past years.

Yeah my bad, thought the score was 29-14 as posted by QH. 39-14 is a bit more a gulf and New will start as clear favourites, as you say shutting down the backs will be key challenge for Shore.

R

RuggerFan1

Cranbrook have a much lower student intake than Scots therefore a much lower talent pool. Usually put up a decent fight in the lower years however often boys drop out in senior years to concentrate on studies so the top boys in year ten fill gaps. Every now and then they put a solid team out. Last time they bet Scots if my memory is correct was 1995, however in the early 2000's they may have.

Ah yes, 1995 was a terrible year for the Scots 1st XV came dead last that season with no wins. I believe the other year was 2009 that they lost, other then that Cranbrook hasn't beaten Scots in a long awhile.

R

RuggerFan1

Hello RuggerFan1
Without doubt Scots will bring the advantage of massive depth against a schools like Newington and Cranbrook. Looking on the Scots website, they go down to the 9ths in the opens. Newington on the other hand goes to the 6ths, I shall not go into the reasons why this difference exits. But depth, gives schools such as Joeys,Scots and View a distinct advantage over their opponents. Boarding also contributes to this advantage.

Newington will be competitive as a rule in the top teams( although Saturday's Scots result might disagree with that belief) but will be unable to compete in the open division and in particular the lower opens against school like Scots.In fact I feel Newington does a very good job, fielding the number and quality of teams that it does.

I never said Newington were poor, I just wanted to highlight the exceptional performance of the Scots opens. Last year Scots vs Newington in the 16s were much more even, but Scots always seem to catch up in the Opens.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I never said Newington were poor, I just wanted to highlight the exceptional performance of the Scots opens. Last year Scots vs Newington in the 16s were much more even, but Scots always seem to catch up in the Opens.

Hello RuggerFan
And that Scots performance on Saturday, is something that as a Scots Supporter you should be proud of. Yes, your correct that in the opens Scots seem to gain extra strength. I would put it down to a great Rugby Program and of course the marvellous depth at Scots.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
from all accounts newington had a poor turnout for the boys spectating and the parents were outnumbering students by a fair bit, sad as the support of the boys could have been the difference between a thrashing and a tight contest.

James Clark

Bob McCowan (2)
Ah yes, 1995 was a terrible year for the Scots 1st XV came dead last that season with no wins. I believe the other year was 2009 that they lost, other then that Cranbrook hasn't beaten Scots in a long awhile.

If I am not mistaken the last 'A's' team to beat scots was actually the current Cranbrook 1XV year group back in year 7 at the final 'battle of the hill' game before the fixture ceased

Status
Not open for further replies.