• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
9ths at Scots??? How big has the school become? I recall years ago they would only go down to the 7ths.
I know the locals are not a fan that the intake has exceeded what was expected.

I read Scots have 30 rugby teams, 25 soccer teams and 11 Volleyball teams.

How many kiddies squeeze into the Dark Tower?

The rugby programme there is very good and Lambo has restricted or blocked many non-traditional sports.

Unfortunately, Newington has gradually allowed a whole range of options from Year 9 onwards which aren't really team sports at all and have also allowed AFL in which just takes numbers from rugby.

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
I've heard that atleast 10 boys moved from volleyball soccer ect. to footy in the opens this year, i think for many of the boys at scots its almost a rite of passage to play rugby in opens.

The rugby programme there is very good and Lambo has restricted or blocked many non-traditional sports.

Unfortunately, Newington has gradually allowed a whole range of options from Year 9 onwards which aren't really team sports at all and have also allowed AFL in which just takes numbers from rugby.

R

RuggerFan1

Three fields on site at Stanmore, plus the desolation of Tempe for the 14s.

Hopefully Lachlan Fear can get a second field better and closer than Tempe. Marrickville Oval was used a few years back and is much better for rugby.

When Scots did it in the past it meant that the 16As were at Centennial Park for that week. Not sure what happens now, but I think that Dr L likes that traditional rugby culture and would keep the tradition going. Rob Hart would probably be able to confirm.
as it should be :)

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
I heard that Cranbrook have 6 teams in the opens, in so that is a significant increase from recent past years where they might have had only 3. Is Brad Gill making a impact over there

Like what i said about Scots, i think it is similar with joeys and kings and the culture within along with the schools/year groups culture of playing footy really helps. say what you want about lambo but he's done a lot of good things for Scots and i think other schools can learn from him. i just think that schools without the rugby culture have any hope of competing with schools such as Scots kings and joeys (maybe View)

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
How are TAS looking this season? by previous results it doesnt look too good.

Since the thirds comp started TAS have always been competitive. It's the smallest of the GPS schools and plays other sports as well, so there is that chance element. My feeling, and its only a feeling, is that they will be competitive again.

A little later. Kinross beat TAS 26-0 in TAS's second game, and then just beat Kings Seconds. That suggests TAS competitive at level 3. TAS is a rugby school despite competition from other sports, so the training is generally good. Unlike last year, TAS has more home games. That should help as well.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Apologies Quick Hands.
I knew this as one of my neighbors sons finished at New in 2016 and played a game on the main oval.
He was a member of the 6ths I think. Great memories and bravo to schools who do this.

Can anyone confirm if this practice is done at TSC, Shore or View?I am sure View and Shore could do it as both have multiple fields.
I would think Scots would find this hard to do as they only have two actual rugby fields.
Newington I think have at least four rugby ovals? Am I correct QH?

I can confirm that Riverview last year played all Open games on #1 in the last round against Joeys. This was great for the Open teams but unfortunately meant that the 16A match (Joeys were undefeated) was played on Field 4A and it was in atrocious shape at the time. I think it was a match deserving of Riverview #1. But I understand why they played all the Opens teams on #1 in the final game.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Since the thirds comp started TAS have always been competitive. It's the smallest of the GPS schools and plays other sports as well, so there is that chance element. My feeling, and its only a feeling, is that they will be competitive again.

A little later. Kinross beat TAS 26-0 in TAS's second game, and then just beat Kings Seconds. That suggests TAS competitive at level 3. TAS is a rugby school despite competition from other sports, so the training is generally good. Unlike last year, TAS has more home games. That should help as well.

Yes, Joeys coming up to beautiful Armidale for the first 3rds competition round v TAS on 25 May. Should be a great contest, but let's hope Armidale can manage warmer than 5 degrees!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
An interesting article in The Telegraph about a Campo-led revival of rugby at Sydney Boys High School.
(Well, that's my clickbait intro anyway!)

Early days, but every journey begins with a single step.

Australian Wallabies great David Campese, former NRL star Bronson Harrison and Shute Shield veteran Terry Langi have all come on board to try and put rugby back on the map at Sydney Boys.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Australian Wallabies great David Campese, former NRL star Bronson Harrison and Shute Shield veteran Terry Langi have all come on board to try and put rugby back on the map at Sydney Boys.

sadly, I cant see any real revival happening

hearts and minds are elsewhere ... at Sydney "Hothouse" High

don't get me started ... as a few teachers have explained to me how the HSC is being "gamed", when some kids can top English, yet they would fail a basic literacy (reading/writing) test, you have to say the ATAR system is broken

and on David Campese ... scheez ... he was amazing (and without peer) in attack, diabolical in defence... and if he is your white knight ... well I will believe it when I see it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
sadly, I cant see any real revival happening

hearts and minds are elsewhere . at Sydney "Hothouse" High

don't get me started . as a few teachers have explained to me how the HSC is being "gamed", when some kids can top English, yet they would fail a basic literacy (reading/writing) test, you have to say the ATAR system is broken

and on David Campese . scheez . he was amazing (and without peer) in attack, diabolical in defence. and if he is your white knight . well I will believe it when I see it.
I'm glad you are giving the great Campo time to make a difference.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm glad you are giving the great Campo time to make a difference.

trust me I would love to see it ... if it was Poidevin or someone like that ... I'd have greater hope

Anyway I knew him from Randwick ... and no one can take away how good he was with ball in hand

I just don't rate his coaching credentials ... despite his "greatness"

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I'd love to see SBHS revival.

I want to see SBHS hair style revivals!

the-north-sydney-boys-high-school-rugby-union-team-with-pe-teacher-picture-id1079977972

R

RuggerFan1

Does anyone think Grammar could have a rugby revival? they still have the 3rd most premierships.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Does anyone think Grammar could have a rugby revival? they still have the 3rd most premierships.

Grammar have also won the "triple crown" 1st, 2nd and 3rd's premiership in the same year twice. 1919, 1920
This includes ONE complete sweep (no shared premierships) in 1919

FYI Joeys and Kings are the only other schools that have managed a "tripe crown sweeps"

Joeys did it in 1918, 1935, 1936, 1952, 1957
Kings in 1914

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Only if RA steps in to overturn a long tradition and imposes a 2-or-3 conference system with promotion and relegation, and throws out traditional GPS, CAS and ISA competitions.
Then Grammar could work their way up, developing and expanding as they go. A lot of internal impetus would be required too.

So, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.