• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I am sorry to say as well, Newington does have issues attracting supporters to home games as well.
Note this photo.

Newington-118.jpg

On the right hand side you see the Blue Army and on the left you see.....empty space.

I cannot recall the year (2012?) that I saw a practically empty visitor student stand (reserved for Newington boys) at Joeys.
This was such a shame as that year I recall Newington won the GPS with an incredible team who swept all before them.
You would think people would travel to the game considering Newington and Joeys are both located in the inner west.

I was though happy to see many more boys in 2018 at Joeys. Joeys know the value of "traveling supporters" as they have swarmed other school grounds for decades. The famous "blue wave" at the end of the 1993 v Scots game was incredible to watch as the entire College walked onto the ground. Halted in front of the Scots supporters and gave them three cheers.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Similar thing happening at Trinity Grammar - I've heard their boarding house has closed down down and new headmaster (started this year or last I believe) is an anglican minister with not a great deal of fuss on sport. Unfortunately for those boys, I cant see them having a strong rugby program any time soon. Have heard that they are struggling with injuries, tends to happen in some of those CAS schools without much depth. A match up this weekend against the mighty Scots College won't do them any favours!

Tim Bowden is more "bible thumping" than "tackle pad thumping".

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Just wanted to correct this speculation Joker; 'View is closer to 1500, in fact Shore, Kings, Newington and Scots are all larger in student number. There are 10 XV teams in the Opens and has been for many years. Rugby is part of the culture, as I am sure it is with some of the other GPS schools.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Just wanted to correct this speculation Joker; 'View is closer to 1500, in fact Shore, Kings, Newington and Scots are all larger in student number. There are 10 XV teams in the Opens and has been for many years. Rugby is part of the culture, as I am sure it is with some of the other GPS schools.

Thanks Grail. I appreciate the correction. The school seems much larger when you consider all the winter sports teams.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
As I've noted before, the only way that there is going to be a rugby revival at High is with a change to the enrolment process. At the moment they have no discretion; they must offer places to boys based solely on their score in the Selective Schools Placement Test.

What should happen is that the school should become 50% academically selective and 50% sports high school. That is the only way - but I do applaud anyone making the effort to help the current students improve.

This is true Quick Hands. In 1973 I was at Mackay Oval to see High 1sts defeat Joeys 1sts before going on to win the GPS premiership. This Saturday, High 1sts will play Joeys 4ths at Mackay in their final trial before the comp games start. The decline of rugby at High is a great shame, but a solution is almost impossible to find under the current selective structure.

R

RuggerFan1

With the exception of Dr Lambert, no GPS school has appointed a footy head as Headmaster recently. If anything the opposite is true.

The past Kings and Shore headmasters have been well into their rugby mate. Tim Hawkes was an avid supporter of Kings rugby.

R

RuggerFan1

Whole scots 1st XV front row is out for this week, will surely make a knock on effect. Will be interesting if all their teams can handle it.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Whole scots 1st XV front row is out for this week, will surely make a knock on effect. Will be interesting if all their teams can handle it.

What ails them so?
I am sure the Dark Lord Lambert can create a few more in his "science" labs.
Look, here's a fresh one!

hqdefault.jpg

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
the whole 2nds front row has moved up with Ed mccowan, Michael frino and Kian Blackshaw Filling in.
this leaves a quite underrated player in my opinion (sam underhill) getting a well deserved game in the 3s, after a mammoth performance against cranbrook last week.

What ails them so?
I am sure the Dark Lord Lambert can create a few more in his "science" labs.
Look, here's a fresh one!

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
With the exception of Dr Lambert, no GPS school has appointed a footy head as Headmaster recently. If anything the opposite is true.

Dr Lambert is not a rugby headmaster ‍♂️ he is an all round principal. His father went to Scots and I think he went to BBC up north so he fully understands the AAGPS culture. Scots has had its most successful sports run under Dr Lambert not just in rugby. Add to this the academic score is higher than 20 years ago under intellectual Dr Iles who did his best to turn the turn into Cranbrook girls. Lambert has raise the college all around. Joker I'll let you take it from here

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
scots have a split venue this saturday with 1sts 3rds & 6ths at trinity and 2nds 4ths 5ths & 7ths at oakhill (8ths & 9ths at joeys) this along with a few of injuries will make for a tough game for 1st & 2nd XV's

R

RuggerFan1

Dr Lambert is not a rugby headmaster ‍♂️ he is an all round principal. His father went to Scots and I think he went to BBC up north so he fully understands the AAGPS culture. Scots has had its most successful sports run under Dr Lambert not just in rugby. Add to this the academic score is higher than 20 years ago under intellectual Dr Iles who did his best to turn the turn into Cranbrook girls. Lambert has raise the college all around. Joker I'll let you take it from here

This is what people forget. People say lambert only focuses on Rugby, when the academic standard has risen under Lambert. Iles was a true shocker.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Dr Lambert poured a lot of money into basketball and rowing too.

Dr Iles was under instructions from his employers to improve academic results, hence his short lived experiment with voluntary sport for Year 12s and the appointment of an innovative Director of Curriculum.

Different personalities, different riding instructions.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whole front row?!

Sounds like a few getting a rest... as didn’t notice any injuries in newington match

Is Brial playing or getting a rest?

Hope he is right for joeys match , as he is one that will be needed if scots are to get revenge for last year

R

RuggerFan1

Whole front row?!

Sounds like a few getting a rest. as didn’t notice any injuries in newington match

Is Brial playing or getting a rest?

Hope he is right for joeys match , as he is one that will be needed if scots are to get revenge for last year

I know one is injured the rest may be getting rested.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think that you have misunderstood what I was saying. I was clearly replying to a person who used the term 'footy head' and the clear context was a headmaster who has a deep interest in rugby. If you've somehow read into it anything else into it then you have made a mistake.

He actually went to The Southport School.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Those four schools start in kindergarten and also have ELCs which are counted in the numbers.

Riverview starts in Year 5, so a simple comparison of the numbers isn't a valid comparison.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The past Kings and Shore headmasters have been well into their rugby mate. Tim Hawkes was an avid supporter of Kings rugby.

You're taking offence where none was intended. In fact, it was intended as a compliment.

It's a little strange that you've taken such offence as I assume that you knew the context of the post as I was replying to your suggestion that Grammar should appoint a "footy head", the context was a discussion about what Grammar and High needed to do to improve their rugby.

Yes, in the past those schools have had headmasters with an interest in rugby. Tim Hawkes left Kings two years ago and his replacement doesn't have the same interest in rugby. Dr Wright just retired from Shore and the same can be said there. Dr Mulford has just retired at Newington and he had much more of a passion for rugby than the new man. If you want to go back further even Grammar had headmasters who were interested in rugby.

You'll note the word recently in my post.

R

RuggerFan1

You're taking offence where none was intended. In fact, it was intended as a compliment.

It's a little strange that you've taken such offence as I assume that you knew the context of the post as I was replying to your suggestion that Grammar should appoint a "footy head", the context was a discussion about what Grammar and High needed to do to improve their rugby.

Yes, in the past those schools have had headmasters with an interest in rugby. Tim Hawkes left Kings two years ago and his replacement doesn't have the same interest in rugby. Dr Wright just retired from Shore and the same can be said there. Dr Mulford has just retired at Newington and he had much more of a passion for rugby than the new man. If you want to go back further even Grammar had headmasters who were interested in rugby.

You'll note the word recently in my post.

It did sound like you where demeaning him in that way, but yes fair enough. The current generation of GPS headmasters are being phased out. I feel as though this hyper-sports focused age is going is slowly dying down.

Status
Not open for further replies.