• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From CAS thread

Barker def Shore 75 - 21

Barker used their pace out wide very intelligently to find gaps where the Shore centre was missing due to a red card. He copped a yellow early in the first half and then a red just before half time. Shore down a man for about 50 of the 70 minutes.
Barker's tall timber caused Shore a lot of trouble in both line outs and scrums.
The Barker 10 was kicking conversions from all over the field.
96 points - could have been at the basketball.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox were smoked by Newington
Could have been 70
Very middle of the road

So Newington the only top tier team then?

Based on results Joeys, Kings, Waverley, Knox are all in the middle, with Scots underneath those four because they got belted today by Joeys? Are you are saying Scots are low tier? Big call.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
So Newington the only top tier team then?

Based on results Joeys, Kings, Waverley, Knox are all in the middle, with Scots underneath those four because they got belted today by Joeys? Are you are saying Scots are low tier? Big call.
Scots were belted by refs today
Joeys building well think now it’s a 2 horse race
Joeys and Scots clear favourites now after today still think Waves and Knox have shown there best however can’t match the big boys week to week.
Kings View and New to fight out for the minors in the top tier

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Congratulations to Joeys for the win yesterday.....thoroughly deserved.
They were by far the better side.

Joeys weaknesses - the scrums, several against the head where they were pushed off their own ball, and an inability to stop the rolling maul without conceding a penalty. But their backs were all class at every touch...electric energy.

And as for Scots....where do we start. In fairness the forwards played well and were certainly as good as Joeys but behind the scrum it was a catalogue of errors. Dropped passes at key times, poor alignment in defence, penalty kicks that failed to reach touch (3 times I think) and very few backline moves that looked remotely threatening. Savala at 10 was missed, he isn't flashy but is decisive, creates space and sets good attacking lines for others. Without him they were all at sea.

For Scots it's a long way back to a GPS championship from here. The forwards are up to the task but the backline needs to stop making basic mistakes and find it's mojo. They have great potential but proved yesterday that potential is only that.

Joeys must be GPS favourites together with Kings (relying here on last years form and the reports of others, haven't seen them myself).

Results with CAS teams suggest that the 2 competitions are evenly balanced amongst the top few sides.

We can finally put to bed any delusions of a superior competition.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Congratulations to Joeys for the win yesterday...thoroughly deserved.
They were by far the better side.

Joeys weaknesses - the scrums, several against the head where they were pushed off their own ball, and an inability to stop the rolling maul without conceding a penalty. But their backs were all class at every touch.electric energy.

And as for Scots..where do we start. In fairness the forwards played well and were certainly as good as Joeys but behind the scrum it was a catalogue of errors. Dropped passes at key times, poor alignment in defence, penalty kicks that failed to reach touch (3 times I think) and very few backline moves that looked remotely threatening. Savala at 10 was missed, he isn't flashy but is decisive, creates space and sets good attacking lines for others. Without him they were all at sea.

For Scots it's a long way back to a GPS championship from here. The forwards are up to the task but the backline needs to stop making basic mistakes and find it's mojo. They have great potential but proved yesterday that potential is only that.

Joeys must be GPS favourites together with Kings (relying here on last years form and the reports of others, haven't seen them myself).

Results with CAS teams suggest that the 2 competitions are evenly balanced amongst the top few sides.

We can finally put to bed any delusions of a superior competition.
I have seen auggies, barker and Waverley play and all are very good. The gps comp could be won by anyone ex shore. Whoever turns up each week will win....and a loss may not matter. Kings and joeys were better last year after a loss.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
You’ll find that most Joeys supporters have the same view. You left out the part where Brother Henry received his coaching manual from above
Thanks Quick Hands. Great stories indeed. Yes, Joeys supporters are passionate about Joeys rugby, but most understand that success is a result of hard work, discipline, commitment, teamwork, passion, excellent coaching and most importantly school support. It is not bestowed by divine intervention. I for one appreciate that I am fortunate to be watching talented players from many different schools playing excellent rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks Quick Hands. Great stories indeed. Yes, Joeys supporters are passionate about Joeys rugby, but most understand that success is a result of hard work, discipline, commitment, teamwork, passion, excellent coaching and most importantly school support. It is not bestowed by divine intervention. I for one appreciate that I am fortunate to be watching talented players from many different schools playing excellent rugby.
You’re new here. You’ll get the humour eventually and perhaps not take things too seriously ✌️

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
GPS 3rd XV Competition - Round 1 Results

Grammar 5 drew with Scots 5
Kings 17 d High 7
Riverview 34 d Shore 17
Joeys 40 d TAS 0

Round 2 Sat 1 June
Kings @ Grammar
Joeys @ High
TAS @ Shore
Riverview @ Scots

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
My Armidale correspondent tells me it was a great day of rugby yesterday for the Joeys visit. Perfect weather and some quality rugby played throughout the morning. Joeys took the honours in the main game after some good early tries with TAS fighting hard and showing some form in the second half. Apparently the bacon, egg and sausage sandwich was exceptional - a rival to the Rowers BBQ at Hunters Hill! All up a brilliant day and great for GPS rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks, I do appreciate the advice. It's a bit hard to know if someone is joking when they refer to you as "annoying, arrogant and one-eyed" but I take your point and will not take it too seriously. :)
I don’t believe I used any of those terms about you or anyone else?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Games for the last weekend of trials:

Joeys v Kings and Trinity at Hunters Hill
Riverview v Waverley at Lane Cove
Scots v Knox at Warrwee
Shore v Oakhill at Castle Hill
Newington v Barker at Stanmore

3rds
High v Joeys at McKay
Grammar v Kings at Weigall
Shore v TAS at Northbridge
Scots v Riverview at Bellevue Hill

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
My take on the Scots v Joeys match -
Joeys well drilled and made the most of their chances. Errors cost Scots dearly, poor hands at crucial times. Scots forwards were better but Joeys backs were better. The ref was shocking, 40-5 penalty count to Joeys, plus the yellow card before halftime really changed the match, which was confusing as to why it was a card. It will be a great game when it actually counts and it was amazing to see the crowd numbers for a trial match!

Sour grapes? The ref was actually very good, just doing his job. Yellow card was for repeated infringements [they were warned].
Joeys forwards were an equal match on this occasion, especially when no.6 ran through four of the Scots pack to score.
They all count, the 29-19 result is on the schools records.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Sour grapes? The ref was actually very good, just doing his job. Yellow card was for repeated infringements [they were warned].
Joeys forwards were an equal match on this occasion, especially when no.6 ran through four of the Scots pack to score.
They all count, the 29-12 result is on the schools records.
I think you'll find the score was 29-19..... and I wouldn't call loose five lineouts and 6 tight heads an equal match in the forwards.....what game were you watching ha ha. Hardly sour grapes however it's not the first time a pedantic Ref has ruined a great game.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I think you'll find the score was 29-19... and I wouldn't call loose five lineouts and 6 tight heads an equal match in the forwards...what game were you watching ha ha. Hardly sour grapes however it's not the first time a pedantic Ref has ruined a great game.

I thought the ref was a little overzealous on occasion but he did not ruin the game. Scots need to be smart enough to understand how the referee of the day is playing the offside rule. It can........and does vary by game.
Some of the penalties for 'high tackles' were a bit pedantic. When a shorter player ducks into contact it's hard not to make 'highish' contact.
I think Scots forwards won the battle upfront..........but by nowhere near as much as you are suggesting Balmian Subbies. Joeys pack were gallant but simply outmuscled at times.
Their backs secured the victory with a dazzling display and that would have been the outcome under any referee.

Status
Not open for further replies.