• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Attendances are fine at most schools. Scots, View and Shore both have pretty good crowds. Newingtons are quite disappointing, they literally had no one watching their ones at Bellevue hill.

Understandable from a Newington viewpoint, As point out about by Quick Hands, a small boarding house means that there will never be a large supporting presence by the school at away games. Further, the East Suburbs is not the biggest source of recruitment for Newington. Rather, its widespread school population will find travelling to the EasternSuburbs a burden, together with trying to find adequate parking from a parental perspective. At Kings and View this parking problem doesn't exist.

On a more disappointing aspect, Scots is not the most appealing school to be a spectator at, with its cultural environment being very, parochial, insular and somewhat unwelcoming. At other schools, such as View,Knox ( Most Welcoming) Joeys and Kings, this feeling doesn't exist.

And that is the real disappointment from a Newington perspective.

R

RuggerFan1

Understandable from a Newington viewpoint, As point out about by Quick Hands, a small boarding house means that there will never be a large supporting presence by the school at away games. Further, the East Suburbs is not the biggest source of recruitment for Newington. Rather, its widespread school population will find travelling to the EasternSuburbs a burden, together with trying to find adequate parking from a parental perspective. At Kings and View this parking problem doesn't exist.

On a more disappointing aspect, Scots is not the most appealing school to be a spectator at, with its cultural environment being very, parochial, insular and somewhat unwelcoming. At other schools, such as View,Knox ( Most Welcoming) Joeys and Kings, this feeling doesn't exist.

No excuses for pride mate.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

Haha. Hilarious B&W. Because travelling the opposite direction, from the East to Stanmore is not a burden? Same in reverse. And parking around Newington is easy?

Doesnt seem to stop the hundreds of Scots supporters though from turning up at New home games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No excuses for pride mate.

Hope you don't suffer any altitiude sickness up on that high horse

8fe6c619fa249f847f195a4a415df2e4.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Haha. Hilarious B&W. Because travelling the opposite direction, from the East to Stanmore is not a burden? Same in reverse. And parking around Newington is easy?

Doesnt seem to stop the hundreds of Scots supporters though from turning up at New home games.

Those Scots supporters have probably been there all day for the age group games as with the exception of 14s, everything at Stanmore is played onsite. Different situation at Scots where the age groups are all offsite.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

How many of those supporters are Scots Boarders, most I suspect, remember Newington has only 60 boarders in the entire school. Without those Scots Boarders attendance at away matches would disappear overnight. I also suspect that other schools with ample boarding populations will benefit from good numbers at away matches.

As well, you didn't address the issue that Scots home games, can be quite a obnoxious experience. Case in point, Scots Old Boys blowing car horns when a visiting school is taking a penalty or converting a try.

As for parking I find Stanmore parking much easier any day, than Bellevue Hill.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Student supporters have dropped remarkably over the past 30 years. Gone are the days when a Joeys V Grammar clash would see the venue full with plenty of support and noise with rows upon row of Grammar Mercedes Benz's parked along side the utes of North West NSW. I still recall the Grammar lads chanting, "wait until the HSC" as Joeys were beating them by plenty. The response was, "who stole your hubcaps?" as many a Joe boy proudly showed off his prize back in the dorms in the late 1970's. (I still have one of these...they make great mirrors)

AUTH-002538-2.jpg

Now of course the crowds have dwindled and even when the best pork roll in Sydney is on offer, the flocks do not appear. I recall watching the 2012 Newington team sweep all before them that year. There was support at home but hardly anyone showed up at Hunters Hill. Joeys allocate a large section each week of the eastern side seats to visiting school students. There was NO STUDENT there that day to watch there super team destroy Joeys. On asking a Newington father why, his response was quite telling. He said the imported students were trouble at school, the acted with arrogance and without fear of any reprimand. They were disliked by many who felt Newington's achievements that year were cheapened by the presence of such players and hence they were not supported as well as the 2010 team.

In regards to weekly numbers, Joeys still command the best but that is because it is compulsory that all 1000 students attend. Add to that the parents who are there, Joeys old boys and various keen rugby supporters you will get a crowd normally of 2000-3000. For the big games (Joeys v View) or a premiership decider, then you can make it almost 10,000. Reunions add a few of course as seen in Steep's excellent video of the SJC v SIC game.

Best venue to watch- Newington. Love that hill and raised northern end. Parking is ok. Great pork rolls. Happy buzz ro the crowd. Best after game spread I have seen.
Worst venue- Scots. Seating is poor. Too much wasted space. Parking is a nightmare. Hospitality has waned since the early days. BBQ is average.

Find it hard to enjoy matches played in the middle of cricket ovals. Kings and View do have elevated hills though. Shore used to make everyone stay behind the fences! It was awful.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Student supporters have dropped remarkably over the past 30 years. Gone are the days when a Joeys V Grammar clash would see the venue full with plenty of support and noise with rows upon row of Grammar Mercedes Benz's parked along side the utes of North West NSW. I still recall the Grammar lads chanting, "wait until the HSC" as Joeys were beating them by plenty. The response was, "who stole your hubcaps?" as many a Joe boy proudly showed off his prize back in the dorms in the late 1970's. (I still have one of these.they make great mirrors)

AUTH-002538-2.jpg

Now of course the crowds have dwindled and even when the best pork roll in Sydney is on offer, the flocks do not appear. I recall watching the 2012 Newington team sweep all before them that year. There was support at home but hardly anyone showed up at Hunters Hill. Joeys allocate a large section each week of the eastern side seats to visiting school students. There was NO STUDENT there that day to watch there super team destroy Joeys. On asking a Newington father why, his response was quite telling. He said the imported students were trouble at school, the acted with arrogance and without fear of any reprimand. They were disliked by many who felt Newington's achievements that year were cheapened by the presence of such players and hence they were not supported as well as the 2010 team.

In regards to weekly numbers, Joeys still command the best but that is because it is compulsory that all 1000 students attend. Add to that the parents who are there, Joeys old boys and various keen rugby supporters you will get a crowd normally of 2000-3000. For the big games (Joeys v View) or a premiership decider, then you can make it almost 10,000. Reunions add a few of course as seen in Steep's excellent video of the SJC v SIC game.

Best venue to watch- Newington. Love that hill and raised northern end. Parking is ok. Great pork rolls. Happy buzz ro the crowd. Best after game spread I have seen.
Worst venue- Scots. Seating is poor. Too much wasted space. Parking is a nightmare. Hospitality has waned since the early days. BBQ is average.

Find it hard to enjoy matches played in the middle of cricket ovals. Kings and View do have elevated hills though. Shore used to make everyone stay behind the fences! It was awful.

Yes, I have heard there was resentment at Newington about some of those boys. But I also read about such resentment in the Sydney Morning Herald about other schools. It is understandable when a boy has worked his guts out from the 13As to the 16As, only to lose his place in the opens to recently arrived new boys.

I find the Hill or the embarkment at Newington, creates a wonderful atmosphere. The fact that it is evaluated and offers a superb view of both ends of the field, allows supporters from sides to watch the match. Additionally, you can watch a match from the Stanmore Road end and if luck you can gat a seat. It is also close to the BBQ and a Coffee Van.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Bowl???
Lets see how the GPS bowls look for 2019.

Newington

1501185567886-DSCF0461-2.jpeg

Riverview

10767523df32b3543d53b21e7d16d30e.jpg

Sydney Grammar

102602149_o.jpg

Scots College

464B2A5300000578-5076415-A_royal_flush_the_luxury_loo_comes_with_a_gold_plated_bowl_and_i-a-66_1510556131150.jpg

St Joseph's College

Australian-Cattle-Dogs-blue-heeler-puppy-bowl-food-isolated-ss.jpg

The Kings School

33-1@2x.jpg

Shore

642107.jpg

The Armidale School

2198952_150730092108_DSCF5898.JPG

TAS appears a bit battered but not ostentatious, just practical. But when did Joeys pinch the country dog? From some TAS OA?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
TAS appears a bit battered but not ostentatious, just practical. But when did Joeys pinch the country dog? From some TAS OA?

Joeys have been cattle dogs since 1881. In my day it was 89% country boys, now it is 48%. Soon we shall have to rethink the cattle dogs. TAS has always been no nonsense, discreet and practical in their approach and hence the enamel bowl is perfect. Something found in many a shearing shed mess room across the beautiful North-West NSW.

sheep-shearers-eating-dinner-in-central-tent-ranch-in-malheur-county-oregon-640.jpg

R

RuggerFan1

Hahahah does anyone know where the stereotype of cranbrook boys being girls came from? My dad went to aloys in thr late 60's and he said people still taunted cranbrook boys of being girls in his day. Thoughts?

R

RuggerFan1

Any how, a Newington supporter/boy can't talk about behaviour from old boys. They have the worst of the lot.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Any how, a Newington supporter/boy can't talk about behaviour from old boys. They have the worst of the lot.

A rather ineffective reply that does not deal with the issue. The simple fact is the behaviour of some of your old boys is a disgrace. The evidence for that is not only at Newington matches, but other GPS matches where the blowing of car horns against a visiting school occurs. Go back a few blogs and you find Joeys supporters making the same complaint. If it was the one school complaining then it might be of a lesser issue. Particularly, as it is a reoccurring issue at Scots matches. Thus, when it occurs against other schools, Scots have a real problem with the control and discipline of their Old Boys.

However, while no school is perfect (The Newington pitch Invasion of 2015 against View is our cross to bear) the behaviour of a few of your Old Boys is totally "Over the Top". Dr Lambert has made great strides in lifting standards at Scots across the whole spectrum of the School. Its time the powers to be at Scots dealt with this issue.

So rather than providing a feeble defence with inept excuses of such outrageous behaviour, how about embarking upon a positive proactive policy of dealing with the issue like banning cars within the grounds of Scots. Except for selected visitors. Newington does this with a security guards at the College's entrance from Stanmore Road.

Scots as a school has a lot to offer parents and students particularly, as DR Lambert is a Headmaster with a strategic vision for your school. But it only takes a few "Cash Up Bogans" (who exist at all GPSand CAS Schools)with too much money and too little responsibility, too spoil it for others at Scots. Just as I accept that the pitch invasion did no credit to Newington in 2015. So must you acknowledge this issue and deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.