• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Some history from Professor Joker. (Grab a drink, this will take a while)

Scots Old Boys were never an issue till 1982.

In 1981 Joeys won the premiership by beating Scots on the bell with a field goal. That day Joeys boys (and even Marist Brothers) invaded the field and celebrated. Worse than Newington in 2015! But it was just students, not old boys. Scots were gutted with the result. Many refused to shake hands. Even when the Joeys coach and captain went to the Scots change room afterwards they were told to "f%$k off" by the coach and the door slammed. (Joeys coach told me) Whne I met Colin Scotts in 2009 I rmentioned to him I was there that day and he suddenly went from being a friendly guy to very dark. He told me I was "Catholic Scum" and stormed away. Scots have claimed since 1981 that Joeys held back the clock. This is of course was stupid. The delay were due to three injuries in the game there saw 6 minutes lost which was tacked on at the end of the second half. The clock reflected this and was stopped during this injury time. The issue was Scots did not stop their watches and hence it looked like Joeys were adding additional time. Anyway, it resulted in the start of the issue we now see.

To explain more...

In 1982 Joeys traveled to the Death Star to play the final game of the season. Both teams were undefeated at the time with Scots actually having scored more points, but Joeys were solid in defense. In the lead up to the game (this btw has all come from a Scots staff member who was there) the Scots boys made a huge all-out effort of support. Mandatory cheering practice, banners made, bunting provided, flags made and bagpipes inflated. The school even flew in Ron Barrasi for pysch up sessions with the 1st XV. The Old Boys were called upon as well to turn up in force to support and the "old hill" was covered with old boys and the street outside was littered with beer cans before the game had even started. Most Old Boys there were the Class of 1981 who had been "robbed" by the "Micks" and 'Papists" the year before.

The Joeys team were ready to enter the field at 3.10pm as per program for a 3.15pm start. They had been given dressing rooms this time in the bowels of the gymnasium and not under the libray as had been done in the past. This meant climbing steep stairs and walking across Kirkland Oval to the Northern end of the ground. There were assembled many Scots families and students and the team had to push their way through to the dead ball area. The referee blew his whistle and then...the Scots A Pipes and Drums band started up on Kirkland Oval, people parted and entered the Main field. The marched and played across the field for about 10-15 minutes while Joeys cooled their heels on the sidelines. The even started doing some ball drills in the dead ball area as well to stay warm as the cool southerly wind blew. The Joeys coaches were livid as well as the normal coach seating for them (which used to be in front of Main building touchline and beside thee Scots bench) was now not available. So they had to walk around to the Joeys boys crammed into the small bleachers on the eastern rim. Some poor boys lost their seats as the coaches needed one. A couple of parents then found some folding chairs for them to sit on. The 2nd XV players had to lay down on the cold ground.Since then Joeys coaches have never sat on this side of the ground. Other schools do, but not Joeys.

Finally the band left (strangling cats...that it what bagpipes sound like) and the game was ready. The Joeys boys then walked/waddled out as is tradition. What was not tradition was the rain of abuse and hate coming from the Scots Old Boys on the hill and the actual "boo's" from the Scots community. Joeys headmaster at this time was seating with the Scots head on the royal balcony, surrounded by Scots dignitaries including Ken Catchpole! No one said anything Silence made it worse as what was being said by the Scots Old boys was crystal clear. The Joeys boss was livid so he left his seat and excused himself to go to the bathroom. He never went back, even though he said the spread was pretty good!. He then appeared at the Joeys side and sat in the eastern bleachers with the boys (I was behind him). He explained later that he was not going to sit with the Scots community who's silence condoned such behavior. He said no one made not one remark condemning what was happening below by the students (who was emboldened by the Old Boys) and those on the hill.

The Joeys team waited patiently in the middle and then Scots change rooms threw open their doors. They started to enter the field. The students rushed the field to make the longest tunnel I have seen (bigger than View's and I have seen a few) as the students had been made to attend. This was compulsory! From the new change room under in the southern wing of the main building the team appeared with banners, bag pipes and the biggest cheers. On the road the car horns blasted on the cars and the old boys cheered loudly. Beer sprayed in the air. It was insane! The Scots boys eventually made it to the middle and the game started. Scots bellowed the old customary three cheers which echoed around the ground. The Joeys boys returned with a polite chorus. The battle then began.

Not to bore you with the game details, the game was a cracker with both sides giving their all. When Joeys scored in the second half they were running to the old boy hill end. When line out were taken in the West side of the field, the Joeys boys were abused by Scots Old Boys. This had never been seen or heard of before. It was a shock to all on our side at the level of hate spewing from the sideline. A Joeys penalty was missed as car horns suddenly blared from the hill on the point of impact. Joeys were running out of time with Scots ahead by 2. Deep into the game with Joeys boys pressing and Scots struggling to get out of their half, a wayward pass was thrown by the TSC 10 and the Joeys 12 swooped on it and scored, pretty much in the same position the winner was scored in 2018. This put Joeys in the lead with no time left really. Joeys erupted (NO pitch invasion) and the Scots crowd were silenced. Then as the conversion was being taken from the western side of the field, a lone voice in the silence was clearly heard yelling out "F%$king Joeys poofters" followed by laughter from the Scots old boys and community. The conversion though was successful and the premiership secured.

Then it was time to go home. The Joeys boys were told to leave the grounds via Cranbrook lane and walk up Cranbrook Road to Victoria Road to catch the armada of buses. This saw the Joeys students having to walk through the Scots Old Boys who were now seething mass of hate on the side of Cranbrook Road, above the hill. I was petrified. Empty beer cans were strewen everywhere. Scots Old boys were pissing in public. As we walked through the Scots Old boys, we were verbally abused, jostled and smaller boys were pushed over, some even had stuff dumped on them. A Scots teacher (who I now call friend) appeared and told the old boys off for what they were doing. He was then abused by them too. On return to the College some smaller boys were visibly upset, some in tears.I myself stayed close to my smaller brother who had to contend one drunk Old Boy screaming, "are you going to f@#k each other tonight?"

This was when the Scots Old Boys issue began I feel. Before 1982 it was never an issue for any school really. Yes, a bit of hazing and some drunker odd idiot, but this was a whole new level. The silence of the management and the lack of any repercussion has only encouraged this behavior to continue. It has now become ingrained within the Scots Old Boys.

This was all told me by a number of people. Firstly, in 2011 during dinner with Mr (formerly Brother) Geoffrey Joy who was Joeys Headmaster that day in 1982. The Joeys 1st XV coach Brother Geoffrey Schwagger confirmed many details too in 1987. Finally Ken Catchpole himself in 2008 when he said that day made him embarrassed to be a Scots Old Boy. After that day he rarely went back.

PLEASE NOTE
It is also important for you to know that the Joeys Deputy Headmaster, Br Anthony Boyd made a very poignant observation to the Joeys boys at a recent assembly. He spoke about the actions of some Old Boys at the recent Riverview game entering the field of play before the final whistle. He mentioned how disappointed he (and many others) were that their undisciplined actions tarnished the wonderful result to the game. He spoke about how such unruly and potentially dangerous behaviour shows a lack of respect to the opposition and how the safety of all players and spectators is compromised. Hopefully, the message will be adhered to in future games. Next season Dr Hayes will work with the President of the OBU to send out a similar message to all in our community.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

In 1981 Joeys won the premiership by beating Scots on the bell with a field goal. That day Joeys boys (and even Marist Brothers) invaded the field and celebrated. Worse than Newington in 2015! But it was just students, not old boys. Scots were gutted with the result. Many refused to shake hands. Even when the Joeys coach and captain went to the Scots change room afterwards they were told to "f%$k off" by the coach and the door slammed. (Joeys coach told me) Whne I met Colin Scotts in 2009 I rmentioned to him I was there that day and he suddenly went from being a friendly guy to very dark. He told me I was "Catholic Scum" and stormed away. Scots have claimed since 1981 that Joeys held back the clock. This is of course was stupid. The delay were due to three injuries in the game there saw 6 minutes lost which was tacked on at the end of the second half. The clock reflected this and was stopped during this injury time. The issue was Scots did not stop their watches and hence it looked like Joeys were adding additional time. Anyway, it resulted in the start of the issue we now see.

To explain more.

In 1982 Joeys traveled to the Death Star to play the final game of the season. Both teams were undefeated at the time with Scots actually having scored more points, but Joeys were solid in defense. In the lead up to the game (this btw has all come from a Scots staff member who was there) the Scots boys made a huge all-out effort of support. Mandatory cheering practice, banners made, bunting provided, flags made and bagpipes inflated. The school even flew in Ron Barrasi for pysch up sessions with the 1st XV. The Old Boys were called upon as well to turn up in force to support and the "old hill" was covered with old boys and the street outside was littered with beer cans before the game had even started. Most Old Boys there were the Class of 1981 who had been "robbed" by the "Micks" and 'Papists" the year before.

The Joeys team were ready to enter the field at 3.10pm as per program for a 3.15pm start. They had been given dressing rooms this time in the bowels of the gymnasium and not under the libray as had been done in the past. This meant climbing steep stairs and walking across Kirkland Oval to the Northern end of the ground. There were assembled many Scots families and students and the team had to push their way through to the dead ball area. The referee blew his whistle and then.the Scots A Pipes and Drums band started up on Kirkland Oval, people parted and entered the Main field. The marched and played across the field for about 10-15 minutes while Joeys cooled their heels on the sidelines. The even started doing some ball drills in the dead ball area as well to stay warm as the cool southerly wind blew. The Joeys coaches were livid as well as the normal coach seating for them (which used to be in front of Main building touchline and beside thee Scots bench) was now not available. So they had to walk around to the Joeys boys crammed into the small bleachers on the eastern rim. Some poor boys lost their seats as the coaches needed one. A couple of parents then found some folding chairs for them to sit on. The 2nd XV players had to lay down on the cold ground.Since then Joeys coaches have never sat on this side of the ground. Other schools do, but not Joeys.

Finally the band left (strangling cats.that it what bagpipes sound like) and the game was ready. The Joeys boys then walked/waddled out as is tradition. What was not tradition was the rain of abuse and hate coming from the Scots Old Boys on the hill and the actual "boo's" from the Scots community. Joeys headmaster at this time was seating with the Scots head on the royal balcony, surrounded by Scots dignitaries including Ken Catchpole! No one said anything Silence made it worse as what was being said by the Scots Old boys was crystal clear. The Joeys boss was livid so he left his seat and excused himself to go to the bathroom. He never went back, even though he said the spread was pretty good!. He then appeared at the Joeys side and sat in the eastern bleachers with the boys (I was behind him). He explained later that he was not going to sit with the Scots community who's silence condoned such behavior. He said no one made not one remark condemning what was happening below by the students (who was emboldened by the Old Boys) and those on the hill.

The Joeys team waited patiently in the middle and then Scots change rooms threw open their doors. They started to enter the field. The students rushed the field to make the longest tunnel I have seen (bigger than View's and I have seen a few) as the students had been made to attend. This was compulsory! From the new change room under in the southern wing of the main building the team appeared with banners, bag pipes and the biggest cheers. On the road the car horns blasted on the cars and the old boys cheered loudly. Beer sprayed in the air. It was insane! The Scots boys eventually made it to the middle and the game started. Scots bellowed the old customary three cheers which echoed around the ground. The Joeys boys returned with a polite chorus. The battle then began.

Not to bore you with the game details, the game was a cracker with both sides giving their all. When Joeys scored in the second half they were running to the old boy hill end. When line out were taken in the West side of the field, the Joeys boys were abused by Scots Old Boys. This had never been seen or heard of before. It was a shock to all on our side at the level of hate spewing from the sideline. A Joeys penalty was missed as car horns suddenly blared from the hill on the point of impact. Joeys were running out of time with Scots ahead by 2. Deep into the game with Joeys boys pressing and Scots struggling to get out of their half, a wayward pass was thrown by the TSC 10 and the Joeys 12 swooped on it and scored, pretty much in the same position the winner was scored in 2018. This put Joeys in the lead with no time left really. Joeys erupted (NO pitch invasion) and the Scots crowd were silenced. Then as the conversion was being taken from the western side of the field, a lone voice in the silence was clearly heard yelling out "F%$king Joeys poofters" followed by laughter from the Scots old boys and community. The conversion though was successful and the premiership secured.

Then it was time to go home. The Joeys boys were told to leave the grounds via Cranbrook lane and walk up Cranbrook Road to Victoria Road to catch the armada of buses. This saw the Joeys students having to walk through the Scots Old Boys who were now seething mass of hate on the side of Cranbrook Road, above the hill. I was petrified. Empty beer cans were strewen everywhere. Scots Old boys were pissing in public. As we walked through the Scots Old boys, we were verbally abused, jostled and smaller boys were pushed over, some even had stuff dumped on them. A Scots teacher (who I now call friend) appeared and told the old boys off for what they were doing. He was then abused by them too. On return to the College some smaller boys were visibly upset, some in tears.I myself stayed close to my smaller brother who had to contend one drunk Old Boy screaming, "are you going to f@#k each other tonight?"

This was when the Scots Old Boys issue began I feel. Before 1982 it was never an issue for any school really. Yes, a bit of hazing and some drunker odd idiot, but this was a whole new level. The silence of the management and the lack of any repercussion has only encouraged this behavior to continue. It has now become ingrained within the Scots Old Boys.

This was all told me by a number of people. Firstly, in 2011 during dinner with Mr (formerly Brother) Geoffrey Joy who was Joeys Headmaster that day in 1982. The Joeys 1st XV coach Brother Geoffrey Schwagger confirmed many details too in 1987. Finally Ken Catchpole himself in 2008 when he said that day made him embarrassed to be a Scots Old Boy. After that day he rarely went back.

PLEASE NOTE
It is also important for you to know that the Joeys Deputy Headmaster, Br Anthony Boyd made a very poignant observation to the Joeys boys at a recent assembly. He spoke about the actions of some Old Boys at the recent Riverview game entering the field of play before the final whistle. He mentioned how disappointed he (and many others) were that their undisciplined actions tarnished the wonderful result to the game. He spoke about how such unruly and potentially dangerous behaviour shows a lack of respect to the opposition and how the safety of all players and spectators is compromised. Hopefully, the message will be adhered to in future games. Next season Dr Hayes will work with the President of the OBU to send out a similar message to all in our community.

Excellent work Joker, a apart from confirming my complaint to that Scots Supporter who appears to be in total denial about his school's appalling behaviour, it was a wonderfully written piece of GPS History. For years the Scots propagandist have spoken about that fable myth of the clock being stopped, so Peter Tokin, their 5/8 (My apologies if I spelt his name wrong) could kick the field goal that won Joeys the Game. Clearly, the Joeys viewpoint in light of how Scots can behave is more creditable.

Yes, no one school can claim the moral high ground regarding imperfections of their students, Old Boys, parents and even teachers who lose it at times. But these matches should represent the GPS Schools at their best. Hence, all schools should aim to improve their behaviour. Its just one school in the Eastern Suburbs, needs more than others to get their act together.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)

To explain more.

The Joeys team were ready to enter the field at 3.10pm as per program for a 3.15pm start. They had been given dressing rooms this time in the bowels of the gymnasium and not under the libray as had been done in the past. This meant climbing steep stairs and walking across Kirkland Oval to the Northern end of the ground. There were assembled many Scots families and students and the team had to push their way through to the dead ball area. The referee blew his whistle and then.the Scots A Pipes and Drums band started up on Kirkland Oval, people parted and entered the Main field. The marched and played across the field for about 10-15 minutes while Joeys cooled their heels on the sidelines. The even started doing some ball drills in the dead ball area as well to stay warm as the cool southerly wind blew. The Joeys coaches were livid as well as the normal coach seating for them (which used to be in front of Main building touchline and beside thee Scots bench) was now not available. So they had to walk around to the Joeys boys crammed into the small bleachers on the eastern rim. Some poor boys lost their seats as the coaches needed one. A couple of parents then found some folding chairs for them to sit on. The 2nd XV players had to lay down on the cold ground.Since then Joeys coaches have never sat on this side of the ground. Other schools do, but not Joeys.

Finally the band left (strangling cats.that it what bagpipes sound like) and the game was ready. The Joeys boys then walked/waddled out as is tradition. What was not tradition was the rain of abuse and hate coming from the Scots Old Boys on the hill and the actual "boo's" from the Scots community. Joeys headmaster at this time was seating with the Scots head on the royal balcony, surrounded by Scots dignitaries including Ken Catchpole! No one said anything Silence made it worse as what was being said by the Scots Old boys was crystal clear. The Joeys boss was livid so he left his seat and excused himself to go to the bathroom. He never went back, even though he said the spread was pretty good!. He then appeared at the Joeys side and sat in the eastern bleachers with the boys (I was behind him). He explained later that he was not going to sit with the Scots community who's silence condoned such behavior. He said no one made not one remark condemning what was happening below by the students (who was emboldened by the Old Boys) and those on the hill.

PLEASE NOTE

So stealing Merc hubcaps or badges is fine, but some drunk old boys are beyond the pale?

Also utter garbage re Ken Catchpole. He was often at the college to hand out 1st XV jerseys and always spoke of his pride for the school. Please don't make up such rubbish about such a nice man who did a lot for the college.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone know what level of representation there is from AAGPS Schools in NSW 1 and 2 ( U16 in the current National Championship )

R

RuggerFan1

b&w, I nor do i think many other people in the Scots community think that Old Boys behaviour have been such a problem but that puts it in perspective. TSC does put in the appropriate measures in place on days like back too Scots Day placing security at gates. I think the problem lies in where the Old Boys go and watch the game. Which is up on the hill which is out of the schools jurisdiction.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Also utter garbage re Ken Catchpole. He was often at the college to hand out 1st XV jerseys and always spoke of his pride for the school. Please don't make up such rubbish about such a nice man who did a lot for the college.

Yes, Ken did attend many functions and did much for the place. I even attended three Scots rugby functions in the past as a guest of several Scots parents who are good friends. I also knew him well from my playing days at Sydney Uni and we often spoke there too. He even came to honor his former skipper Greg Davis when the grandstand at Drummoyne was dedicated. Yes, he spoke at Scots events and in passing with pride of his days at the College and the friendships he made. BUT he also shared privately the shame of the recent old boy behaviour. This disappointment was echoed as well by another Scots giant John Solomon who I knew very well due to my family connections with his son in law PG. He made it clear to his three grandsons that he would "kick them up the bum" if he ever saw them on that hill.

BTW....a 15 year schoolboy stealing one hubcap (never badged a car, we didn't have the tools!) would rank lower on the "asshole" barometer than a drunk young adult, pissing on the street, screaming obscenities in public and abusing small boys who cannot fight back.

douchebag-asshole+meter.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I think the problem lies in where the Old Boys go and watch the game. Which is up on the hill which is out of the schools jurisdiction.

I would agree. Most schools now have ways to handle these issues. Some do it better than others due to the physcial nature of the ground. That hill was still an issue this season with the Joeys v TSC game with plenty of noise, abuse, motorcycle noise and alike. It is though not a common occurrence I feel. Maybe Scots will need to think about those marquee games they host and how to handle this issue. BTW that new building looks great. Nice balcony up there.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I would agree. Most schools now have ways to handle these issues. Some do it better than others due to the physcial nature of the ground. That hill was still an issue this season with the Joeys v TSC game with plenty of noise, abuse, motorcycle noise and alike. It is though not a common occurrence I feel. Maybe Scots will need to think about those marquee games they host and how to handle this issue. BTW that new building looks great. Nice balcony up there.

b&w, I nor do i think many other people in the Scots community think that Old Boys behaviour have been such a problem but that puts it in perspective. TSC does put in the appropriate measures in place on days like back too Scots Day placing security at gates. I think the problem lies in where the Old Boys go and watch the game. Which is up on the hill which is out of the schools jurisdiction.

That is good to hear, Ruggerfan, I maintain the point that my comments are not an attack on Scots in General. The school has a distinguished record in producing academics, the Arts, sportsman, the Armed Forces and Captains of Industry. Rather, as stated before a very small minority are spoiling it for others, such as yourself. I should also state despite the best efforts of Scots, stupidity will find a way to raise its ugly presence. As it will at other schools. The best any school can do is to have a presence such as Security Guards who hopefully, can deal when these issues emerge.

Maybe a solution for all our schools, could be a separate GPS Code of Behaviour, specific for our Old Boys.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Link Henry ?

Anyway that's good ....and trust that there is some good representation from CAS and ISA as well considering how strong Waverley, Kinross Wolaroi, and Barker have been over the last year or two

Joey's looking the goods in the 16's this season and would expect them to be battling it out with Kings next year in the AAGS comp

R

RuggerFan1

Half of those players go to GPS schools, they just went through the club pathway not the school pathway.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes, Ken did attend many functions and did much for the place. I even attended three Scots rugby functions in the past as a guest of several Scots parents who are good friends. I also knew him well from my playing days at Sydney Uni and we often spoke there too. He even came to honor his former skipper Greg Davis when the grandstand at Drummoyne was dedicated. Yes, he spoke at Scots events and in passing with pride of his days at the College and the friendships he made. BUT he also shared privately the shame of the recent old boy behaviour. This disappointment was echoed as well by another Scots giant John Solomon who I knew very well due to my family connections with his son in law PG. He made it clear to his three grandsons that he would "kick them up the bum" if he ever saw them on that hill.

BTW..a 15 year schoolboy stealing one hubcap (never badged a car, we didn't have the tools!) would rank lower on the "asshole" barometer than a drunk young adult, pissing on the street, screaming obscenities in public and abusing small boys who cannot fight back.

Mmmmm, I find that very interesting. As a former member of the old boy union, I sat next to Ken on two occasions at the Scots Old Boy dinners and once again he never said anything to the sort of garbage you are writing.

BTW It is good to see the "Brothers" taught you well. Pretty sure "thou shalt not steal" is high up on the Ten Commandments

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
demonising the opposition , it all goes with the territory

and everything has a life cycle ... whether it be how you were as newly weds, to how you will be when you are nearly deads

so for my 2 bobs worth .....while there is understandably focus on the bad behaviour of recent old boys, I prefer how all in the GPS community come together as mates, over time

below is an extract of a commentary on the GPS gold challenge, where they bring together old boys from all the GPS schools for sporting events ... I have highlighted one bit I found amusing

Extract GPS Gold Challenge
Guys claiming this is the best day of their life – and it happens regularly – is a big call at the age of 50.

So why is it so great? Many reasons but here are a few.

There exists within the GPS community a camaraderie, humour and respect which allows us to poke fun at each other without offending. We all know that High guys were the ones with the long hair, Joeys guys excelled at sport because they were all 2 or 3 years older at school and Kings guys are just big old country blokes. At a recent dinner a Joeys speaker turned to the Grammar contingent and asked when they would do the right thing and pull out of rugby. The Grammar speaker responded by asking the Joeys group when they would do the right thing and pull out of the HSC. Bringing together 600+ fifty year old guys to take part in 10 different competitions gives enormous opportunity for this humour to abound, culminating in the debate where no one can hide.

Another reason is that this event is absolutely unique and it never comes around again. I would find it hard to believe that any such event exists anywhere else in the world. Who else would come up with the idea of bringing back a bunch of paunchy 50 year olds, dressing them up in their old school colours and getting them to compete in sports whose rules are so watered down that a blind man could take part (and did).

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My Gold Challenge was a cracker. Plenty of fun with old class mates and banter. The rowing was cancelled though due to weather.
The dinner was one long laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.