• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Joeys arent short on Number 10 talent this year. I had the pleasure of watching their thirds team on Saturday and the young man they have at 10 in that team is a terrific player. Shore was dominating the game and up 10-0 after 25 mins before the Joeys 10 got some ball and set up a series of excellent plays that led to a well worked inside ball and try to their fullback. Joeys ended up winning the game reasonably comfortably, the majority of their tries coming from well orchestrated backline play based off the 10. As much as I wanted Shore to win, it was great to watch a well coached team.

The cover defence was excellent also. Shore made some good inroads through the middle of the ground throughout the game but there was always someone there to stop the last pass.

Very impressive depth if players of that quality are in thirds.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
The 3rd XV comp plays Round 4 of 7 this Saturday 22 June. Here is my preview:

3rd XV Comp - Round 4

Kings v TAS @ Gowan Brae
After their win over Grammar, TAS are third on the table and will travel to Kings for this important Round 4 clash, where a win will keep them in the premiership race for the Col Windon Shield. Kings will be disappointed after their loss to Riverview and will be looking to score their second win at home. A close contest indeed, but I think TAS can make it three wins in a row.

Joeys v Grammar @ Hunters Hill
Forget the trial match from last month – Grammar will come to Hunters Hill with intent to reverse the trial result. Joeys were slow to start against Shore last week, but they will be switched on for this match. Expect Joeys to retain their undefeated record at home.

High v Riverview @ Centennial Park
High have played some really good rugby, but are without a win in the first three rounds. Riverview continue on their way with an undefeated record including a handy victory over Kings last week. Hard to see this match going any way other than a Riverview win, but it is on Mackay Oval so that will be to High’s advantage.

Shore v Scots @ Northbridge
Shore came out firing in the first half against Joeys last week to lead early before Joeys clicked into gear and scored four unanswered tries. Shore will need to bring that first half form again to match Scots who had a strong win over High at Bellevue Hill. Shore are not without a chance, but I suspect that Scots will prevail at Northbridge.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Would love to hear some kind of wrap up of the View win over Kings and how that went down.

Agreed! Riverview really sneaking under everyone's eyes this year.

I announced last week that if View beat Kings it will tell us a lot about them and the whole season, and they did, sounds convincing on the scorecard too. However as we saw from the Joeys New game, a score can be deceiving - further reports would be very valuable.

Potentially a 5 horse race here men, can't discount anyone (maybe except Shore sorry).

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Scots v View match of the round.

I really rate the View (10) ... Jack Bowen.

However he is young and while he is a fearless kid ... that's who Scots should be targeting.

If you can monster him, I think View's wheels could fall off ... otherwise they will be the ones on a collision course with their arch rivals ... Joeys.

[This year both Joeys & View will bring night googles... just in case.]

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Agreed! Riverview really sneaking under everyone's eyes this year.

I announced last week that if View beat Kings it will tell us a lot about them and the whole season, and they did, sounds convincing on the scorecard too. However as we saw from the Joeys New game, a score can be deceiving - further reports would be very valuable.

Potentially a 5 horse race here men, can't discount anyone (maybe except Shore sorry).

As a parent of couple of boarders at Riverview we are along way from Sydney and don't get to as many rugby matches at school, as we would like. However we made the View vs Kings match last weekend.

In my opinion; View controlled the match and didn't look like they were threated at any point, however both sides made a few elementary mistakes. View forwards were a match for Kings, and the backs were faster and playing well as a united, well drilled team. If anything, the score should have been greater for View, if they had successfully converted more attempts. I can't speculate on what would have happened if the Kings injured players would have been playing, as I haven't seen them on field.

Great day out, fantastic atmosphere, large crowd and caught up with plenty of fellow OB mates from View and some old mates from Kings.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
an observation that across both CAS and GPS, losses of player to injury is having a big bearing

and it seems the kids who are playing both NRL and Union are the ones breaking down

In Kings you have 2 league Stars in Sualli and Pensini that are out

and at Waverley similar with Fretton and Mildford 2 that are most injury affected

so whether the likes of Joeys are smart to push back against league commitments

if schools do that ... it might put a cat amongst the pidgeons

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
an observation that across both CAS and GPS, losses of player to injury is having a big bearing

and it seems the kids who are playing both NRL and Union are the ones breaking down

In Kings you have 2 league Stars in Sualli and Pensini that are out

and at Waverley similar with Fretton and Mildford 2 that are most injury affected

so whether the likes of Joeys are smart to push back against league commitments

if schools do that . it might put a cat amongst the pidgeons

Correct SDW, Kaeo Weekes on the weekend looked flat and deflated, Hamish Moore been missing a bit for Scots. Might be taking a bit of a toll on the boys.

The Grail - thanks for that brief report. Sounds like Riverview are a cool, clinical, well coached team - similar to Joeys perhaps. Any notable players that stood out to you??

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Correct SDW, Kaeo Weekes on the weekend looked flat and deflated, Hamish Moore been missing a bit for Scots. Might be taking a bit of a toll on the boys.

The Grail - thanks for that brief report. Sounds like Riverview are a cool, clinical, well coached team - similar to Joeys perhaps. Any notable players that stood out to you??

Without mentioning names, View's numbers 9,10 and 15 were outstanding in my humble opinion. I know there was a lot of talk about the Kings fullback who is good, but the View fullback had a much larger game. Seems to be plenty of depth, time will tell.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
PS 4 training sessions for the Joeys 15As . wow .explains a lot.

Like this????:)

rugby-18-cover.cover_large.jpg

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
WTF? ... haha .. that is how most teenagers would like to train.

The vast bulk of people myself in included ...prefer to play ... than train.

Coaches have a full time job keeping them from wanting to dream off

it is after all the iphone generation

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Joeys arent short on Number 10 talent this year. I had the pleasure of watching their thirds team on Saturday and the young man they have at 10 in that team is a terrific player. Shore was dominating the game and up 10-0 after 25 mins before the Joeys 10 got some ball and set up a series of excellent plays that led to a well worked inside ball and try to their fullback. Joeys ended up winning the game reasonably comfortably, the majority of their tries coming from well orchestrated backline play based off the 10. As much as I wanted Shore to win, it was great to watch a well coached team.

The cover defence was excellent also. Shore made some good inroads through the middle of the ground throughout the game but there was always someone there to stop the last pass.

Great comments Number 7. Indeed it was a terrific match.

The Joeys Number 10 is a talented player and his brother at 13 is also very capable. The Joeys fullback is another handy Number 10 so Joeys has plenty to choose from!

I thought that the Shore fly half directed play really well and made some intelligent plays in the first half that exposed Joeys and gave Shore the early lead. A great match all round. Well done to both teams.

It was also very impressive that the Joeys 1sts and 2nds came to #1 field to support and cheer on the 3rds before they headed off to Stanmore. Surely that's what it's all about.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

If Joeys were to put their seconds and thirds in the 1st XV competition, I have no doubt they would be exceptionally competitive against the 1st XVs of other schools.

BigDaddy

Frank Row (1)
Having captained the first XV at St Josephs in my day, I am disapointed with the way its going. I remember the days when it was the hardest 15 men in the school, going toe to toe with the rest of the GPS. But watching the game against the Newington game, and seeing 15 girls running around the field, I was utterly disapointed.

I cant see Joeys winning much this year, neither with scots #cantbuyapremiership.

Thoughts????

Couldn't agree more.
I think joeys will be really challenged against shore in Northbridge this week. #roundoftheseason

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Disappointing for you to come into this forum today being this negative, not only gloating about your own achievements but also being misogynistic in labelling a team as "15 girls." Regardless of whether your achievements are true or not, perhaps you need to take a step back and think about what you say and your idea of masculinity - yes times have changed in not only rugby but wider society, but maybe you need to readjust how you judge these boys. They are a well coached side, better than any other team they have played, winning rugby games for your precious school AND they are 16-18 year old boys that will be reading this forum.

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't get on this forum just to make silly statements.

T

thedirtysanchez

How about Jahromi over Botha? He has shown great skill and resilience through adversity after being dropped from the 3rd XV. I think a strong leader such as Jahromi would be an invaluable asset to any team, particularly the GPS first XV. Thoughts?

Could you please stop taking the mickey on this page. Obviously someone from the 4th 15 couldn't make the GPS team. Are you out of your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.