• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
2000 in a 3 way tie

Ok, I can confirm View were part of the three-way with KINGS in the 2000 2nd XV.
Many thanks to my Joeys mates for this one

In addition the 1910 2nd XV mystery has been solved!
It was Kings in all three grades and hence a TRIPLE CROWN for them. Their third.

A big thank you to all schools who helped. The latest version on Sunday.
Till then, here is the up to date table.

68297626_2309627389073953_7099707246686240768_n.jpg

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
SBW where do u get ur mail from?

Was never correct all 3 injuries were very nasty and occurred during the tough battle at Newington.

Wishing the injured boys a speedy recovery .

Scots have backs against the wall but if they are going to win tyrell will be the match winner not Gibbs hopefully.
Good luck to both teams not sure if I could handle another cliffhanger but how good is school boy rugby.
Why only play 5 games ,the GPS comp is the strongest by far and especially this year, home and away games I’m sure would of seen different results this year and last year.

The GPS comp is yes extremely strong, but by far, rubbish. The gap between the GPS and CAS associations has closed dramatically in recent years, and in ages gone by the CAS was equal to or stronger, depends on the year. Very aware that some/most GPS supporters would prefer to live within their own very small 6 team comp and have a home and way closed world ,where some definitely think they rule the world.
I also remember vividly when the idea of mixing games with some CAS schools would result in a ha ha ha duck egg(0) Donut etc wins for the CAS schools, is that what happened, and has it happened since? Anything but...

I also believe playing more schools, who are competitive, let's you know how good a team really is, whilst still having your own comp (which is what has happened for about 50 years before the home and away idea of about 10 years). Teams also get to experience other styles of rugby and boys you may well play with in the years beyond school.

As a rugby fan, I am sure the Joeys v Scots finale at HH will be a beauty, and the crowd will be a beauty, and a finish like that, with great weather, couldn't be any better scripted!

My Tip : Joeys by 15.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Just to help the build up, lets step into the "wayback" machine (youngsters have no idea of what this was) and relive the greatest Scots Vs Joeys game in history. I give you.
67778907_479346815974189_1645298131673284608_n.jpg

Patrick Hunt came into the side as inside centre, Mark Murphy moving to outside centre. Glenn Nelson played in the seconds. The game was an important one. A win to Scots, it can now be seen, would have meant joint premierships for St. Joseph's, Scots, and Shore; the win for St. Joseph's enabled them to complete the season premiers and champions. The game proved to be one of the most exciting and most memorable seen for many years.

From the kick off, Farrell was injured by a hard knock and took some minutes to recover. Scots were winning the lineouts, having an advantage in height, but St. Joseph's were dominating scrums and mauls. Farrell was winning lineout ball at the back; when Scots No. 5 was sent to mark him, McEwen won three lineouts at No. 4. First score was a penalty to Scots. 0-3. Although Scots won the ball frequently from lineouts, they were unable to penetrate, and were content to kick. Fallon, McEwen and Ryan fielded the high ball with assurance. Scots were enjoying territorial advantage, and a field goal brought the score to 0-6. Penalties were going against St. Joseph's, and another penalty goal was kicked. 0-9.

St. Joseph's began the second half confident that they could win despite the halftime score of 0-9. St.Joseph's forwards were clearly superior and were playing the best rugby of the season. In the fourth minute the first of seven tight heads for the half were won by Irvine. From one of them Tonkin broke down the short side, and combined with O'Hearn and Shields in a movement that covered 80 metres and was never more than five metres from touch. The first try came when O'Hearn took a difficult pass above his head and scored twelve metres from touch. 4-9, with eighteen minutes to go. At this stage and for the remainder of the match the sustained cheering of a new cry, "Never give up!" urged the St. Joseph's team to greater efforts, although victory was beginning to appear impossible as the minutes passed.

Irvine won another tight head; O'Grady moved up field and passed to O'Hearn who ran sixty metres past two defenders. He sent the ball to Murphy who had the try line wide open before him, but the referee ruled a forward pass. Facer then figured in another move which looked like scoring. From a scrum Farrell crashed over the try line from the base of the scrum, but the referee ruled the ball not correctly grounded.

With twelve minutes to go the cry of "Never give up!" became more intense. Hunt crossed the try line under the posts only to be recalled. The minutes were ticking away. St. Joseph's were now getting a glut of possession as the ball moved across the field through the backs and up the field through the forwards. A line out formed fifteen metres from the Scots line. The ball was thrown to Farrell who set up a maul. Shields fed the ball to Tonkin on the short side who scored. A good kick for conversion by Ryan just failed. 8-9, with only five minutes to play. Scots kicked the ball deep into St. Joseph's territory. Good anticipation by McEwen won the ball from a maul. Fallon passed to Tonkin who in a brilliant run took play to Scots' quarter line. A minute left to play, and the cheer continued, "Never give up!" A scrum was won by St. Joseph's; Fallon passed to Tonkin. Wisely deciding that he must attempt a field goal rather than a try, he steadied himself, thirty metres out and twelve metres from touch, took aim and kicked. The field goal was never in doubt as the ball sailed between the posts with the full-time siren sounding.

The excitement of the crowd when they realized that St. Joseph's had won 11-9 in the last seconds of the match was something rarely if ever seen on the ground before.
Was there that day taking photos.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Scots Vs Joeys; Difficult to see the bagpipers from the east overcoming 3 inform pink and blue sides in the top grades. In the 1st XV, hate to do this; but predict the boys in pink will be too strong by 12.

Riverview Vs Newington; Both sides have won/lost by similar margins this year. View have the home ground advantage and are strong, fit and fast, I predict View will over come the Black and White by 10.

Kings Vs Shore; The boys from the west will overcome a proud but struggling Shore 1st XV by 30+

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
The GPS comp is yes extremely strong, but by far, rubbish. The gap between the GPS and CAS associations has closed dramatically in recent years, and in ages gone by the CAS was equal to or stronger, depends on the year. Very aware that some/most GPS supporters would prefer to live within their own very small 6 team comp and have a home and way closed world ,where some definitely think they rule the world.
I also remember vividly when the idea of mixing games with some CAS schools would result in a ha ha ha duck egg(0) Donut etc wins for the CAS schools, is that what happened, and has it happened since? Anything but.

I also believe playing more schools, who are competitive, let's you know how good a team really is, whilst still having your own comp (which is what has happened for about 50 years before the home and away idea of about 10 years). Teams also get to experience other styles of rugby and boys you may well play with in the years beyond school.

As a rugby fan, I am sure the Joeys v Scots finale at HH will be a beauty, and the crowd will be a beauty, and a finish like that, with great weather, couldn't be any better scripted!

My Tip : Joeys by 15.

I agree CAS v GPS game has been very competitive over the last couple of years but there is still a big gap between the individual cas schools and the gps schools.
Scots beating Knox by 40 this year and Waverley by 30 the previous year just so CAS schools can test themselves against a GPS school
Meaning the comp becomes 1 round was not in the best interests for the GPS schools, most GPS games there is never much in it apart from Shore at the moment , I personally would of liked the two round comp to have stayed and no excuses can be made of teams having 2 or 3 home games . Just for the record Scots have had 2 home games out of the 5 games.
No excuses though from me make the best team win and really look forward to watching 2 very good teams even though I believe last years standard of GPS was of higher standard.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
I remember the whole home and away and this just made the season play out longer. Teams struggled at times with depth. Joeys had the issue with their selections. They would pick a 1st XV and then stick with it. Since there was such a small trial period, Joeys struggled to get things right and hence had start pre-season much earlier, while some schools had teams selected almost by Jan 1 each year.

Since we have returned to the one round format, we have seen all schools benefit with a much longer pre-season which has allowed schools to really tinker with the make up. Last year Joeys had approx. 30 boys play in the 1st XV till they got the mix just right and hence the competition was much closer. Once again Joeys have used at least 27 boys getting the 2019 model in shape. In addition, it also helps the 2nd and 3rds.

This weekend Joeys goes for an amazing 4th GOLDEN TRIPLE CROWN. (term given to me by another old boy)
All three grades as champions. Joeys have had only three years in the past that this has occurred.

In 1935 the Joeys 1st, 2nd & 3rd XV was GOLDEN TRIPLE CROWN winning season
In 1936 the Joeys 1st, 2nd & 3rd XV was GOLDEN TRIPLE CROWN winning season (2nd XV had a record of 253 for 0 against)
In 1957 the Joeys 1st, 2nd & 3rd XV was GOLDEN TRIPLE CROWN winning season

In 1918 they would have won if not for the Joeys 1st XV drawing their first match with Kings.
That may be a Joeys mindset however I know Scots much preferred the two round system and there is much talk of bringing it back for next year. Unfortunately with High & Grammar out the season is way too short for my liking.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
I agree CAS v GPS game has been very competitive over the last couple of years but there is still a big gap between the individual cas schools and the gps schools.
Scots beating Knox by 40 this year and Waverley by 30 the previous year just so CAS schools can test themselves against a GPS school
Meaning the comp becomes 1 round was not in the best interests for the GPS schools, most GPS games there is never much in it apart from Shore at the moment , I personally would of liked the two round comp to have stayed and no excuses can be made of teams having 2 or 3 home games . Just for the record Scots have had 2 home games out of the 5 games.
No excuses though from me make the best team win and really look forward to watching 2 very good teams even though I believe last years standard of GPS was of higher standard.

You will recall that Knox were leading Scots at half time, and had a card in the second half and the score blew out (credit to Scots their backline really clicked in the 2nd half, they were outstanding)... 2 weeks earlier Knox beat joeys at hunters hill and led 31-7 at half time (joeys came back hard as they always do).... I don’t remember seeing a half time lead like that in 30 years of watching rugby at hunters hill ... waverly drew with kings and view and lost on the bell to joeys via a Gibbs conversion... Barker were the dominant side last year and waverly beat all before then the year before (including 50plus at joeys)

I think you need a bit of perspective. Both associations are enjoying a year where a number of teams are competitive. My mail from a nsw rugby employee assisting with schoolboy rugby, who has met with each of the sports masters, is that one gps school in particular does not want the return of the 2 round comp and another wants inter association with the removal of the 3rds comp

There’s no perfect solution unfortunately

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)

Scots didn't beat Knox by 40 this year - they beat them by 26.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The old Joey's trick. Whilst most schools used synthetic balls by 91, there was a rule that the home side could use either. Joeys trained with leather balls whilst other schools didn't giving them another upper hand.

Oh yes, Joeys also used to train with medicine balls as well.
Poor goal kickers would break many a toe but then could kick a synthetic 80m.

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)
Heres' hoping that sidesteppa (whose services are always greatly appreciated!) will be at Joeys on Saturday to tape the game for us G&Gers who wont be able to be there....

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Very selective games you have chosen here, there is no longer a big gap between the top GPS and CAS schools.
If you look at many more games over the last 2-3 years you will have noticed that last year Barker beat all GPS,except a close 1 v View, and the year before Waves thrashed most GPS schools, including Joeys 47-21, View at QP 67-0 and Shore at QP 67-7.
This year Waves drew 2 games v Kings and View (last minute tries enabled these 2 GPS teams to draw) and Joey won 49-47, 1 conversion separated them ( and this weekend Joeys are playing to win the GPS comp and probably will win at home, imo). .
The CAS rep side has won 2 of the last 3 games v the GPS rep sides.

The next 2-3 years will also be close between all these schools, I predict.

Anyway, we all have our views and all are to be respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.