• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
An update sent to Kings parents:

For the past week the School has been seeking to work with the NSW Government and NSW Health to get consistency across “community sport” and “school sport”. Under the current arrangements, community sport is able to proceed across different regions, but not School sport.

The irony is that if the AAGPS was deemed to be a community sports association, we could continue with our GPS competition. However, because the NSW Government deems the AAGPS to be a school sports association, The King’s School along with other non-government schools is not permitted to continue its competition.

I understand that this inconsistency has arisen because NSW Education and NSW Sport have chosen to implement the NSW Health guidelines differently.

I also understand that NSW Education is seeking to limit the mingling of students from across different regions of Sydney. However, while this makes sense for schools with predominantly local enrolments, such as government schools, it doesn’t make sense for schools that enrol students from across the Sydney Metropolitan Area, such as non-government schools like King’s. Consequently, the NSW Education decision favours students in government schools while disadvantaging students in non-government schools.

What we have been seeking from the NSW Government for the past week is consistency. Either ban sport or don’t. But don’t have double standards that result in inconsistency, confusion and inequity. However, while NSW Sport has been willing to engage in discussion, NSW Education and NSW Health are yet to respond positively and engage in meaningful, reasonable and productive discussion.

The King’s School has consistently worked with State and Federal departments of Health and Education throughout this pandemic in a supportive, cooperative and productive manner.

However, this latest situation makes no sense, especially as new cases have consistently reduced over the past week to among the lowest levels we have seen.

The King’s School, along with all schools, want what is best for our students and our community. Their health and well-being is of paramount importance to all of us. This includes their mental health and well-being. Competitive sport is of critical importance for our boys. We need to continue with a consistent approach to sport, both community and school sport.

The School will continue to seek discussion with the NSW Government. However, this depends on whether or not the NSW Government and its departments are willing to engage in meaningful and reasonable discussion. Let’s continue to hope so.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)

For the past week the School has been seeking to work with the NSW Government and NSW Health to get consistency across “community sport” and “school sport”. Under the current arrangements, community sport is able to proceed across different regions, but not School sport.

The irony is that if the AAGPS was deemed to be a community sports association, we could continue with our GPS competition. However, because the NSW Government deems the AAGPS to be a school sports association, The King’s School along with other non-government schools is not permitted to continue its competition.

I understand that this inconsistency has arisen because NSW Education and NSW Sport have chosen to implement the NSW Health guidelines differently.

I also understand that NSW Education is seeking to limit the mingling of students from across different regions of Sydney. However, while this makes sense for schools with predominantly local enrolments, such as government schools, it doesn’t make sense for schools that enrol students from across the Sydney Metropolitan Area, such as non-government schools like King’s. Consequently, the NSW Education decision favours students in government schools while disadvantaging students in non-government schools.

What we have been seeking from the NSW Government for the past week is consistency. Either ban sport or don’t. But don’t have double standards that result in inconsistency, confusion and inequity. However, while NSW Sport has been willing to engage in discussion, NSW Education and NSW Health are yet to respond positively and engage in meaningful, reasonable and productive discussion.

The King’s School has consistently worked with State and Federal departments of Health and Education throughout this pandemic in a supportive, cooperative and productive manner.

However, this latest situation makes no sense, especially as new cases have consistently reduced over the past week to among the lowest levels we have seen.

The King’s School, along with all schools, want what is best for our students and our community. Their health and well-being is of paramount importance to all of us. This includes their mental health and well-being. Competitive sport is of critical importance for our boys. We need to continue with a consistent approach to sport, both community and school sport.

The School will continue to seek discussion with the NSW Government. However, this depends on whether or not the NSW Government and its departments are willing to engage in meaningful and reasonable discussion. Let’s continue to hope so.

Thanks for that KOB. It’s a valuable update, and it really captures the confusion, uncertainty and frustration that I’m sure we are all experience.
Here’s to hoping rugby can come back as soon as possible.

TME.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)

If you want to know about irony, consider the north shore community rugby team that had its game against a neighbouring suburb cancelled and a new game scheduled against a team in south west Sydney..... this happened last weekend.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)

I would have thought these GPS headmasters had a bit more pull than this.
Rough estimate on how many boys play in the GPS competition and will be directly impacted by this indecision and confusion?

rockstar

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rough estimate on how many boys play in the GPS competition and will be directly impacted by this indecision and confusion?

For those who feel strongly on this issue (I do - because of the improtance of sport to the mental health of strudents) I would encourage you to contact your local member - if the politicians think votes are at play then they may start listening

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For those who feel strongly on this issue (I do - because of the improtance of sport to the mental health of strudents) I would encourage you to contact your local member - if the politicians think votes are at play then they may start listening

4cml7v.jpg

Vee

Frank Row (1)

I'm unsure of the total number of boys playing rugby across all GPS schools, but Joeys has 39 rugby teams. So, with a minimum of 15 boys in each, there's at least 585 boys who play rugby at the school..... but realistically it would be 600+. Altogether there would be thousands of boys across all the GPS schools who are affected by this ridiculous decision.

RaRaMum

Bob McCowan (2)

Thanks KOB1987. Wow, this is an aggressive email. Sent to all Kings families? I 100% agree with everything said here but it smells like a press release and they want it in the media. Maybe it was Kings who went to Alan Jones/Ben Fordham? Is this a smart way to get the best result for all GPS schools? Why isnt this announcement coming from Ticehurst/AAGPS or even better the Independent Schools head? It's actually contrary to Ticehurst's announcement last Friday. Nobody wants school (and club) sport more than me but I wonder if this was smart (arrogant?) of Kings to effectively go around the AAGPS and Independent Schools and do this? If it gets into the media, it may piss off NSW Health and make the situation worse. Unless Ticehurst/AAGPS comes out with a similiar view, it appears there is division.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not good news. I assume the government is worried about a 'Prestigious Private School Competition Given Exemption' headline.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not good news. I assume the government is worried about a 'Prestigious Private School Competition Given Exemption' headline.
As opposed to the ‘everyone else except independent schools can play’ at the moment. I don’t think it’s that, just seems the education department is in charge of decisions around school sports, whereas the sports department is controlling decisions around community sports, and they have differing views.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks KOB1987. Wow, this is an aggressive email. Sent to all Kings families? I 100% agree with everything said here but it smells like a press release and they want it in the media. Maybe it was Kings who went to Alan Jones/Ben Fordham? Is this a smart way to get the best result for all GPS schools? Why isnt this announcement coming from Ticehurst/AAGPS or even better the Independent Schools head? It's actually contrary to Ticehurst's announcement last Friday. Nobody wants school (and club) sport more than me but I wonder if this was smart (arrogant?) of Kings to effectively go around the AAGPS and Independent Schools and do this? If it gets into the media, it may piss off NSW Health and make the situation worse. Unless Ticehurst/AAGPS comes out with a similiar view, it appears there is division.
I really don’t see how the situation can get worse TBH. It’s not an ‘announcement’, it’s an update to kings parents. There is no doubt division, it’s not hard to work out which schools would be favouring academia over sport, and vice versa. A balanced and logical outcome would be preferable.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
As opposed to the ‘everyone else except independent schools can play’ at the moment. I don’t think it’s that, just seems the education department is in charge of decisions around school sports, whereas the sports department is controlling decisions around community sports, and they have differing views.
That's the reality of the situation but the headline will be 'AAGPS receives exemption'.

Hopefully, they sort it out it is ludicrous.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am not optimistic... I don't doubt that these beaucrats have the best intentions

however with a perception that private schools are over-indulged, over-represented etc ... it's a lost cause

the NRL on the other hand under this new bloke ...Llandy? ..... they could organise anything... and they have even resurrected by name sake... don't think NSW Health could shutter them

I would like to know a bit more about Kerry Chant ... but I suspect if we knew more about her, it would not change my gloomy outlook

in Victoria child mental health issues has skyrocketed... up 33% (over shut-down period) ......so between that and the fact that the same private school kids are playing community rugby on a Sunday, just shows how idiotic this decision is

as I have said before ..... I feel sorry for the year 12 cohort...put in so much hard work .... and where is the evidence ?

it's an outdoor activity without parents allowed there ... etc

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
I am not optimistic.
I don't doubt that these bureaucrats have the best intentions however with a perception that private schools are over-indulged, over-represented etc. it's a lost cause.
In Victoria child mental health issues have skyrocketed. up 33% (over shut-down period) ... so between that and the fact that the same private school kids are playing community rugby on a Sunday, just shows how idiotic this decision is.

And where is the evidence ? It's an outdoor activity without parents allowed there.

I am also not very optimistic.

I understand that the meeting has been re-scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. (Once again this is only 3rd hand.)

My concern is that once it became an disagreement between the Minister for Sport (who briefly said it was OK) and the Minister for Education (who said it was not OK and would put the HSC at risk) then it became a very political decision.

So if I was representing the AAGPS, I would open with "All winter sport should be back on for the mental health of all boys", but if that is rejected by the Government as too risky then a compromise could still be reached to just play the competition teams - 1st, 2nd, 3rd rugby + football. A much smaller number of players involved. Easier to control. Still no spectators. Much lower risk. And everyone wins.

While not ideal, that would be better than nothing.

rockstar

Allen Oxlade (6)
COVID-19 sport rules 'make no sense', says King's School headmaster
For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.
d7bdb7c53e835fedebcce9095e5aeccf665eb29e

By Jordan Baker

August 25, 2020 — 6.02pm

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size

The headmaster of The King's School has accused the NSW government of creating inconsistent, confusing COVID-19 sport rules that “make no sense” and advantage public schools over private ones.
The furious email, sent to parents on Tuesday, comes as schools involved in the GPS schoolboy sporting association continue fighting for an exemption to a COVID-19 ban on non-local school sports that would allow their winter competitions to continue.
It adds to concern from music groups and year 12 students about bans to woodwind instruments, choirs and graduations that they also argue are stricter inside the school gates than outside them.
King's headmaster Tony George said NSW Sport and NSW Education had chosen to implement state health guidelines differently, leading to a tighter ban on school teams than club ones. “What we have been seeking from the NSW government for the past week is consistency,” he wrote.
“Either ban sport or don’t. But don’t have double standards that result in inconsistency, confusion and inequity. However, while NSW Sport has been willing to engage in discussion, NSW Education and NSW Health are yet to respond positively.”

Advertisement
Mr George also said the intention of the ban - to stop students from different regions of Sydney mingling - made sense for schools with predominantly local enrolments such as public schools, but not for private schools, which enrolled students from across the city.
“Consequently, the NSW Education decision favours students in government schools while disadvantaging students in non-government schools,” he said.
abb90b0e9359b67f3838f1597e7e7c9766685354

The King's School is protesting the cancellation of the GPS winter competition.
Mr George said competitive sport was of “critical importance” for the health and wellbeing of his students. “This latest situation makes no sense, especially as new cases have consistently reduced over the past week,” he said.
“The School will continue to seek discussion with the NSW government.”

Members of the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools (GPS) are not united in the push for permission to proceed with the season, which, in the case of the first XV rugby matches, was due to begin last weekend.
Sydney Boys is a government school, so must adhere to the rules, while sources said Sydney Grammar - an academically high-achieving private school - is advocating caution to ensure students do not get sick before HSC exams begin.
Public schools can still play each other in their local area, but all their zone, regional and state-level Combined High Schools sporting competitions have been cancelled. The CHS competition was cancelled in first term.
A spokeswoman for NSW Health said all competitions should run within local communities wherever possible.

NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant has arranged to meet with the independent school sector again this week to work through the details of implementation for their sporting activities.
The tightening of COVID-19 restrictions in schools for the rest of term three has also caused controversy among musicians and year 12 students.
Music teachers have queried a decision to ban woodwind instruments, saying students could not play in bands or orchestras but their parents could drink in pubs, while principals say the cancellation of graduations with parents has been deeply disappointing for year 12.

TheBlumpkinEnthusiast

Stan Wickham (3)
I am also not very optimistic.

I understand that the meeting has been re-scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. (Once again this is only 3rd hand.)

My concern is that once it became an disagreement between the Minister for Sport (who briefly said it was OK) and the Minister for Education (who said it was not OK and would put the HSC at risk) then it became a very political decision.

So if I was representing the AAGPS, I would open with "All winter sport should be back on for the mental health of all boys", but if that is rejected by the Government as too risky then a compromise could still be reached to just play the competition teams - 1st, 2nd, 3rd rugby + football. A much smaller number of players involved. Easier to control. Still no spectators. Much lower risk. And everyone wins.

While not ideal, that would be better than nothing.

It's ridiculous how this has become a political issue and not a issue of common sense or mental health. Very dissapointing from NSW health.

RaraTragic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Looks like Kings have done the GPS zero favours with that latest article...….the associated posts/comments are blowing up about the whole private v public school thing and the point has now been completely missed. This will only make the "Elite school exemption" far less palatable for the feuding ministers - what a mess this has turned into - with the real losers being the boys :(

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Looks like Kings have done the GPS zero favours with that latest article.….the associated posts/comments are blowing up about the whole private v public school thing and the point has now been completely missed. This will only make the "Elite school exemption" far less palatable for the feuding ministers - what a mess this has turned into - with the real losers being the boys :(

I agree - he should have kept his powder dry until either after a positive meeting result with NSW Govt. ,or after the rugby season ends; or maybe he should not have written this at all...

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree - he should have kept his powder dry until either after a positive meeting result with NSW Govt. ,or after the rugby season ends; or maybe he should not have written this at all.

Absolutely right. Fairly naive letter in both its timing and language.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if there is more to the issue of GPS schools not being united in the push for permission to play.
The article speaks about Grammar and High but leaves open the impression that the 1st XV competition is threatened by one or two schools wanting the season to be cancelled.
Time will tell.