• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Happy to be corrected but think Riverview won just 3 games yesterday at home and only 1 (16As) was a like for like fixture. Phenomenal day for the Cerise.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What does this have to do with anything
Tradition. It’s the basis for most institutions, like it or not. We have the CAS vs GPS fixtures every year where the associations can test themselves against each other as well as trial games. The competitions will remain seperate as they always have.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Happy to be corrected but think Riverview won just 3 games yesterday at home and only 1 (16As) was a like for like fixture. Phenomenal day for the Cerise.

Ehx2L5aUwAAzh5w

SkyBlue

Banned
Looks like we have a schoolboy in here trying to stir up trouble. Let’s not fall into his trap

Neither of those things are true Metre Eater, not at all trying to stir trouble. However, this has been a rumour circulating for quite a while. I believe the ARU actually approached both the GPS and CAS about this concept about 3 seasons ago but it was rejected by all of the GPS schools. I honestly just believe that such a format would be beneficial for all parties involved. Just frustrated that some of the GPS schools are prioritising tradition over extracting the best quality rugby out of our schoolboys.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joker do you have anything constructive to say or not

Your post comes up every year. How about go and start a new thread for that discussion and leave us to discuss the rugby.

You've been answered by quite a few people and just because you don't like the answer you start insulting people.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Neither of those things are true Metre Eater, not at all trying to stir trouble. However, this has been a rumour circulating for quite a while. I believe the ARU actually approached both the GPS and CAS about this concept about 3 seasons ago but it was rejected by all of the GPS schools. I honestly just believe that such a format would be beneficial for all parties involved. Just frustrated that some of the GPS schools are prioritising tradition over extracting the best quality rugby out of our schoolboys.

If the ARU were serious about promoting youth rugby they'd invest in junior club based structures of their own instead of trying to piggy back off schools.

You're free to believe whatever you want but this thread is for GPS rugby. Start a new thread if you want to discuss some sort of other competition.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Strong 16's age group Quickie.
BTW. Did you capture the photo that was being taken to commemorate the occasion?
Love to see it.

Very strong age group, with the equivalent of one full team playing in various opens teams. The arrival of AFL has unfortunately impacted on the depth of teams which went down to 13Gs in 13s.

SkyBlue

Banned
Your post comes up every year. How about go and start a new thread for that discussion and leave us to discuss the rugby.

You've been answered by quite a few people and just because you don't like the answer you start insulting people.

I've actually never posed on a GPS forum before, I also was not intending to stir trouble, nor did I insult anyone.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comments, but nothing I said was with any malice intent.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I should have clarified. This would be a 1XV competition, the CAS are improving but not enough to compete at all levels just yet.

and therein lies part of the problem, Goosie. No GPS school is likely to agree to a system where the 1st XV plays in one competition in some venue and other teams play in different competitions at different venues, perhaps several such. Joeys fields 45 teams on any given Saturday (and is therefore probably the largest rugby club in Australia) and the logistics of managing meals, transport, security, staff support (physio, medical etc) is mind-boggling when only one or at the most two opposition venues are involved. Other schools in both the GPS and CAS systems would be similar. To have multiple competitions and multiple venues for individual schools magnifies this issue exponentially to the point of being unviable.

Can't see it happening.

Scrumcap

Stan Wickham (3)
Very strong age group, with the equivalent of one full team playing in various opens teams. The arrival of AFL has unfortunately impacted on the depth of teams which went down to 13Gs in 13s.

QH, how many U16s in 1st? From what I know and saw on Cluch four? 5,9,14, and 15? A number of U17s as well, so quite a young team.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)

That’s actually incorrect. I was privy to those conversations where nsw rugby were trying to formalise the inter association games into a competition whereby it was a 10-12 round competition which catered for both single round GPS and CAS championship to operate inside that and keep their traditional format, similar to how the Heineken cup used to operate.

It was actually Barker who were the most opposed. Joeys and knox were keen as they end up supplying the most teams in each association and joeys were fed up with the 3rds comp.

There is some merit in what you are proposing. It I think both associations need to keep the traditional round of their own association and title in tact, but an overall title with an additional round would work well given that (ex Covid) athletics has shifted and the “trials” have become much more meaningful with full squads at everyones disposal (unless of course someone loses to a team they shouldn’t of and then it’s just a meaningless trial )

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
There was another thing that didn't get coverage from Cluch at Riverview. After fulltime there was a ceremony to introduce the new Alex Noble Shield, which from now on will be contested between Riverview and Joeys for every competition game between these two schools dating from this year. Alex Noble was present and both Headmasters gave short emotional speeches.
Great initiative and a moving ceremony.
[for those unfamiliar with Alex Noble's story you can see it here https://alexnoble.com.au/]