• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I've actually never posed on a GPS forum before, I also was not intending to stir trouble, nor did I insult anyone.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comments, but nothing I said was with any malice intent.

I dont think your post or comments were insulting at all but I do think you are possibly misunderstanding the purpose of GPS Rugby, as seen by this comment in your original post:
I would imagine there would also be a relegation system in place. This would definitely make for a much more exciting rugby schoolboy competition, would be safer for some of those less rugby driven schools and would probably best stimulate the development of our juniors meaning hopefully a stronger Wallabies team etc.

The AAPGS Code guiding sport ("games") signed by all headmasters includes the following excerpt:
"Games in our schools are an important part of a fully balanced education for our students. The Heads are concerned to preserve sound educational and social practices in the many inter-school games that are played and ask for the cooperation of school communities to ensure that these aims are realised.

The trend towards professionalism in school sport is to be viewed with caution. etc"

As QH said earlier, Rugby at these schools isnt about developing Wallabies for the ARU. It is about being a part of a well rounded education that teaches young men values, discipline, resilience amongst other things. It isn't about creating an elite sporting competition. Hence some of the responses you have received.

I'd also disagree with your focus on 1st XV results over balanced rugby programs as the definition of what a strong school is. From my perspective I have no interest in watching schools with one strong team full of players who have no other reason for attending school than to turn up to rugby games.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As QH said earlier, Rugby at these schools isnt about developing Wallabies for the ARU. It is about being a part of a well rounded education that teaches young men values, discipline, resilience amongst other things. It isn't about creating an elite sporting competition. Hence some of the responses you have received.

I think this is the right approach and Id be happy to back any school or collection of schools who adhere to this ethos. What grinds my gears, is on the one hand they claim not to be a development arm of RA (citing what you've said above) whilst simultaneously, blocking anyone else from doing so.

They should be permitted to play for their clubs/regions, development squads etc without fear of retribution from their school.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
After fulltime there was a ceremony to introduce the new Alex Noble Shield, which from now on will be contested between Riverview and Joeys for every competition game between these two schools dating from this year. Alex Noble was present and both Headmasters gave short emotional speeches.
Great initiative and a moving ceremony.

EhsWxTOUcAAp_vn

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
They should be permitted to play for their clubs/regions, development squads etc without fear of retribution from their school.

At most schools, the rule is simple. SCHOOL SPORT comes first. It is there in black and white when you sign up.
If you do not like this, then do not sign up. Simple....BUT there are some people who cannot take NO for an answer.

My three sons all played club rugby till under 14's at West Harbour. One played reps from Under 11 to Under 14.
They trained each week starting at 5pm, most times after already completing training at school.
The games were on Sunday. If there was a conflict with school, school always won because we knew what we signed up for.

Retribution only comes to those who deliberately break the conditions of enrollment.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
At most schools, the rule is simple. SCHOOL SPORT comes first. It is there in black and white when you sign up.
If you do not like this, then do not sign up. Simple..BUT there are some people who cannot take NO for an answer.

My three sons all played club rugby till under 14's at West Harbour. One played reps from Under 11 to Under 14.
They trained each week starting at 5pm, most times after already completing training at school.
The games were on Sunday. If there was a conflict with school, school always won because we knew what we signed up for.

Retribution only comes to those who deliberately break the conditions of enrollment.

It's there in Black and White - yes that's right - thats my point. Schools say "we're not here to develop Rugby players" but make you sign a clause preventing you from being developed whilst you are at their school.

Anyway it's a moot point. The benefit to school rugby from kids playing club rugby are already well understood.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
If you do not like this, then do not sign up. Simple..BUT there are some people who cannot take NO for an answer.

How then do some boys fit in commitments to NRL clubs often on the other side of Sydney to where their school is?

Is this a double standard of Annastacia Palaszczuk proportions amongst some schools?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
How then do some boys fit in commitments to NRL clubs often on the other side of Sydney to where their school is?

Is this a double standard of Annastacia Palaszczuk proportions amongst some schools?

Probably because SG Ball Starts in February, finishes in April and is played on a Sunday so it doesn't clash with GPS Rugby.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Summer sport is the same deal as winter sport. Obligation to play both.

Also I think you will find SG Ball is played Saturday.

Yep you're right about SG Ball on Saturday, my mistake. Either way summer sport is pretty manageable if you choose the right one. As long as you're not doing cricket or 1sts rowing you're generally finished by 9-10am. My son played 9ths basketball one year then did a school-led S&C program the next, both of which met his school sport requirements and he was done by 9am every weekend. Not 100% sure about other schools but my experience is if you chose the right summer school sport it is easy to manage external sports.

SkyBlue

Banned
and therein lies part of the problem, Goosie. No GPS school is likely to agree to a system where the 1st XV plays in one competition in some venue and other teams play in different competitions at different venues, perhaps several such. Joeys fields 45 teams on any given Saturday (and is therefore probably the largest rugby club in Australia) and the logistics of managing meals, transport, security, staff support (physio, medical etc) is mind-boggling when only one or at the most two opposition venues are involved. Other schools in both the GPS and CAS systems would be similar. To have multiple competitions and multiple venues for individual schools magnifies this issue exponentially to the point of being unviable.

Can't see it happening.

This is a very good point, logistically would be almost impossible especially with the prevalence of boarders making up such a significant part of these teams, and their reliance on food and transport etc. 45 teams is crazy, St. Joseph's College is really doing something special with their footy culture to field so many teams. Great stuff.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I think this is the right approach and Id be happy to back any school or collection of schools who adhere to this ethos. What grinds my gears, is on the one hand they claim not to be a development arm of RA (citing what you've said above) whilst simultaneously, blocking anyone else from doing so.

I don’t understand this comment. At 13 - 15’s the majority of kids in my sons club team and rep team also play on Saturday for their school. In 16’s and opens they focus only on school rugby as the game becomes even more physical and their studies become more demanding. I believe Joeys supplies Hunters Hill with entire teams full of boarders for Sunday games. No one is discouraging school players from turning out for their club.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I don’t understand this comment. At 13 - 15’s the majority of kids in my sons club team and rep team also play on Saturday for their school. In 16’s and opens they focus only on school rugby as the game becomes even more physical and their studies become more demanding. I believe Joeys supplies Hunters Hill with entire teams full of boarders for Sunday games. No one is discouraging school players from turning out for their club.

Spot on. This is my experience as well.