• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Competition - Round 3 Deferred - Wednesday 23 September

Well it is quite appropriate that the final round of the 3rd XV competition puts the two undefeated teams head to head. Grammar v Joeys @ Rushcutters Bay. It has been a very strange competition year that unfortunately did not include TAS, but this should be a great finale.

Last week's Round 7 results:

Grammar 40 d High 14 Grammar won easily but High came back well to score two tries in the second half.
Scots 15 d Riverview 14 I said it would be close - a Scots penalty goal right on full time.
Shore 17 d Kings 7 Shore's 3rds first win of the season (The Grail tipped this result).
Joeys had the bye And will be well rested for tomorrow.

There are only two Round 3 games tomorrow:

Grammar v Joeys @ Rushcutters Bay (@12pm)
Shore v High @ Northbridge (@1pm)
Riverview 26 d Kings 23 last Wednesday so they have both played their last games already.
Scots have the Round 3 bye, so their season is also finished.

Grammar have remained undefeated through wins over Scots (34-5), Shore (46-5), Kings (14-0), Riverview (28-5) and High (40-14).

Joeys have had five good wins over Riverview (45-7), Kings (45-7), Scots (58-5), Shore (76-0) and High (74-6).

So it promises to be a great match tomorrow, but I am tipping that Joeys execution and speed across the park will ensure that the Col Windon Shield stays in the trophy cabinet at Hunter Hill.

Its Not Pink

eindaeast

Bob McCowan (2)
So there won't be any live feed for tomorrow? So sad. Any chance someone can do a facebook or some other open stream of the games?
And in other thoughts, have been so grateful to the likes of Joker and the crew over the years. Being abroad is tough at times!

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
GOLDEN Triple Crown, that is ALL teams undefeated. Joeys have won the triple before but some teams had draws so they rule out the "Golden" aspect.
And the last Golden Triple Crown was when? I recall you published some stats on that last year?

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Based on the Joker’s post of August 2019, Joeys will be playing for only their 5th ever Golden Triple Crown. The last one was won in 2019 and prior to that 1957 (largely be a use there was no official 3rds completion from 1961 until 2012.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The games will be live on Cluch (if that’s not an oxymoron). And Joeys Twitter will also be happening. And the Year 12 boys will all be watching from the Emilian Hall. The rest of the school will be watching the First game from the classrooms.
Thanks br. Hopefully Cluch doesn’t shit the bed.

Funny old season but at least the boys got one in the end.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Based on the Joker’s post of August 2019, Joeys will be playing for only their 5th ever Golden Triple Crown. The last one was won in 2019 and prior to that 1957 (largely be a use there was no official 3rds completion from 1961 until 2012.

Correct.

EijFkjtUYAA_GCO

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
(largely be a use there was no official 3rds completion from 1961 until 2012.

My recent research has uncovered that Joeys would have also had GOLDEN Triple Crowns in 1990, 1994 and 1995 if the thirds competition was played for.

These years, Joeys had undefeated 3rd XV team during non-competition years.

1969, 1970, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003

This is incomplete. No records available for Joeys 3rds prior to 1969. No access as well for post 2004. As well, I have no records for other AAGPS schools. I am making approaches again to their respective archivists for this information.

This will take me a while.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
[quote="brumbiesrugby, post: 1166437, member: 53701"the Year 12 boys will all be watching from the Emilian Hall. [/quote]

I have been told that the Joeys Yr 12 boys will be giving a "Walk On" via video link to the Park scoreboard.

For those who have lived under a rock, "Walk On" has been the traditional song sung by the Joeys boys as they 1st XV take the field at the start of the game.

In 1981, Joeys yr 12 students (who ran the cheers) approached the Headmaster, Br. Geoffrey Joy and asked if they could change cheer from the College War Cry to "Walk On". This was agreed to. The senior lads received permission the week before the first game against The Kings School to teach the other students the new cheer. It was enthusiastically accepted and has been the staple ever since. Those who have walked out to this song will tell you it is an incredible pump up, in particular at home when you walk through the boys.See the video below.

FUN FACT. Joeys 2nd XV do not participate in the "Walk On". Every team in the College gets a College war cry before their game from 13H's all the way to the 1st XV. So the 2nd's College war cry for the 1st XV is usually drowned out by "Walk On"

SkyBlue

Banned
H4L,

Next years year 12 cohort has always been a super age group.

This is true for most schools, however, both the Knox 16's and Barker 16's age group is considerably stronger than the soon to be year 12's (with a few outliers of course). Furthermore, King's 16's age group this year was rather disappointing and I'm sure we will see the same from their 1sts next year (especially if Sua'ali'i sits next season out as well) . However, their 15's age group has firepower across the park and will probably have a red hot crack at the GPS Premiership when their time has come.

SkyBlue

Banned
H4L,

Rubbish, there are NO easy GPS schools, the 3 CAS schools you have mentioned are strong but would find their level against all the GPS schools, in the 16s and most certainly in the 1sts.

WLF, you cannot be more wrong about these 3 schools. Barker and Waverley for the last 3 years have been to the same standards of Riverview, Joeys, Newington, Scots and Kings. Furthermore, these two teams 16A's had more talent than any other school in their age group and Knox were unbelievably well drilled. These 3 teams could most definitely run it with any and all GPS schools as well as leaving some in the dust. The CAS slander needs to stop. The rugby programs of Barker, Waverley and Knox need to be respected. Full stop.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
WLF, you cannot be more wrong about these 3 schools. Barker and Waverley for the last 3 years have been to the same standards of Riverview, Joeys, Newington, Scots and Kings. Furthermore, these two teams 16A's had more talent than any other school in their age group and Knox were unbelievably well drilled. These 3 teams could most definitely run it with any and all GPS schools as well as leaving some in the dust. The CAS slander needs to stop. The rugby programs of Barker, Waverley and Knox need to be respected. Full stop.

Still no.

SkyBlue

Banned
Still no.

Joker,

Need I remind you that just 3 years ago Barker beat Joeys. Supposedly the greatest rugby school in Australia. Or that CAS beat GPS just 3 years ago. I understand that you have been brainwashed to think that the GPS are elite and that CAS schools are for poor, uneducated people but that is far from the truth. I urge you to make an educated take instead of replying "no" anytime someone challenges your views, it's ignorant. As I said, I've been to both a GPS and a CAS school and I can assure you, CAS schools are just as good, if not better than GPS schools in every facet of school life. All they lack is tradition.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Joker,

Need I remind you that just 3 years ago Barker beat Joeys. Supposedly the greatest rugby school in Australia. Or that CAS beat GPS just 3 years ago. I understand that you have been brainwashed to think that the GPS are elite and that CAS schools are for poor, uneducated people but that is far from the truth. I urge you to make an educated take instead of replying "no" anytime someone challenges your views, it's ignorant. As I said, I've been to both a GPS and a CAS school and I can assure you, CAS schools are just as good, if not better than GPS schools in every facet of school life. All they lack is tradition.

How about we pause this discussion just for today.

The final round of GPS is being played today - starting now.

Weigall #1 is looking great.

Good luck to all.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker,

EikPoDAU8AIeGN5