• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
EhsN1xOVgAAMAEU

SkyBlue

Banned
Evening.

It is becoming increasingly evident that the the likes of Barker, Waverley and possibly even Knox are increasingly closing the gap and are now able to match it with the GPS schools (especially Waverley and Barker). Furthermore, Shore are descending further into the abyss and are becoming closer and closer to that of Grammar and Sydney Boys. It is quite clear that these competitions need to be merged in the best interest of rugby.

I see a tier 1 division made up of:
- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

A tier 2 division made up of:
- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc...

I would imagine there would also be a relegation system in place. This would definitely make for a much more exciting rugby schoolboy competition, would be safer for some of those less rugby driven schools and would probably best stimulate the development of our juniors meaning hopefully a stronger Wallabies team etc.

Thoughts?

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Evening.

It is becoming increasingly evident that the the likes of Barker, Waverley and possibly even Knox are increasingly closing the gap and are now able to match it with the GPS schools (especially Waverley and Barker). Furthermore, Shore are descending further into the abyss and are becoming closer and closer to that of Grammar and Sydney Boys. It is quite clear that these competitions need to be merged in the best interest of rugby.

- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc.

I would imagine there would also be a relegation system in place. This would definitely make for a much more exciting rugby schoolboy competition, would be safer for some of those less rugby driven schools and would probably best stimulate the development of our juniors meaning hopefully a stronger Wallabies team etc.

Thoughts?

Be very careful Goosie. You’re playing a very dangerous game, risking upsetting people.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Evening.

- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc.

Thoughts?

No

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
don't think the Cluch video picked it up, but Joeys had arguably their best forward in the bin from the 57 min mark (using the cluch time), and their captain off for the whole of the 2nd half (severely bruised ribs - he could hardly breathe).
Which player was in the bin and what for?

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Evening.

- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc.

Thoughts?

I have a bet on the Shore Scots game every year with my father in law a Shore old boy a bottle of current vintage St Henri, we drink it five years after each season with the score on the label its mothers milk....... my two brothers in law are from a CAS school........ we never share the St Henri as he says ''they are not worthy'' agree with joker its a no from me......

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Evening.

- Joeys
- View
- Newington
- Kings
- Scots
- Barker
- Waverley

- Shore
- Knox
- Trinity
- Cranbrook
- Stannies
- St. Augustines

Tier 3:
- SBHS
- Grammar
- Aloys
- Pius
- Oakhill
etc.

Thoughts?
Shore 16s ran up 28 points in a victory over Joeys and defeated Newington a couple of weeks ago who just put 50 on Kings. Thanks but no thanks.

SkyBlue

Banned
Look it's clear there is a stigma around CAS rugby, there is a belief that CAS rugby is a joke amongst GPS schools and I would know as I myself attended a GPS school. However, I have been involved in both and I can assure you, the rugby program at Barker and at Waverley trumps that of any GPS school other than St Josephs. It's this "elitism" that will ultimately ruin school boy rugby. The GPS is not as dominant as it once was. It is in the best interest of rugby union in Australia to combine these competitions.

SkyBlue

Banned
This depends on whether your school assessment is based on 1st XV or school depth or number of teams. Plus I think your premise that Shore Rugby is falling down to the level of Grammar and High is way off the mark.

Yes. I definitely should have clarified. This would be in the 1xv and possibly 2xv. Whilst CAS rugby is definitely improving, it's definitely not there yet to compete with the GPS across all levels

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Can’t see this ever happening in this format, too many traditions.

What is more possible is something which relies on the existing Associations playing cross association fixtures. In that way games against your own association would preserve history of those fixtures games against other association would count towards an overall title.

The problem is that neither association is likely to support an outcome where The result is an overall title which could be seen to be superior to their own individual one.

These schools do tradition. Not innovation. They don’t see themselves as owing anything to the broader game or it’s history, that is just not it’s constituency.

So as much as many people would like to see this because there would a number of better more competitive fixtures in the mix, it’s only likely to happen if another Firsts team gets forced into 3rd XV football to join Grammar and High such that the pool of fixtures just gets less and less.

That’s the only way I can see this happening.

SkyBlue

Banned
Shore 16s ran up 28 points in a victory over Joeys and defeated Newington a couple of weeks ago who just put 50 on Kings. Thanks but no thanks.

I should have clarified. This would be a 1XV competition, the CAS are improving but not enough to compete at all levels just yet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Look it's clear there is a stigma around CAS rugby, there is a belief that CAS rugby is a joke amongst GPS schools and I would know as I myself attended a GPS school. However, I have been involved in both and I can assure you, the rugby program at Barker and at Waverley trumps that of any GPS school other than St Josephs. It's this "elitism" that will ultimately ruin school boy rugby. The GPS is not as dominant as it once was. It is in the best interest of rugby union in Australia to combine these competitions.
This is why: