• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Finally, back from a wedding lunch.
Saw nothing, but thanks to @JoeysRugby on Twitter got the scores.
Joeys seem to have taken last week's nonsense out on a deflated Newington (there is that souffle again)
Keen to download and watch the games.

Well done Scots, the dark empire is not done with yet
Kings went through the motions it seems.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Here is what I love to see.

Two former, premiership 1st XV coaches now coaching the 15G XV at Joeys.
Mr Reading and Brother Anthony Boyd. Legends.
Hope season went well. They beat Grammar 15C's today.
In years to come no one would believe they had these two as coaches.
#FromTheGroundUp

EiPfSc-WoAEl5-l

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
1st XV; Scots def View 30-19. View 1sts not on point today, too many mistakes, Scots turned up. Well done to Scots.

Riverview were in the game all the way and played with passion, Scots did their best to loose the game so many basic handling errors and turnovers, both sides will not be happy with the process Scots will be happy with the result but it could have gone either way ............

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joker,

The scoreline was more a reflection of poor D than great running rugby. I fear for Wednesday if kings are as good as people say. Thanks for the 84 game. Long time now since yr 8. That was the year that shore beat us in the trial JV had his first year as coach and we won 12-4 at Hutners Hill.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Tough day at Hunter's Hill for the Newington 1sts and 2nds as reality hit them head on.

Amidst the wreckage of the day there were a couple of pieces of good news for Newington boys and supporters

16A Newington def Joeys 17-10
14A Newington Joeys 26-7

Also a couple of the lower age or open teams had wins against offset Joeys teams.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tables for Wednesday
EiVuplpUMAEUj2J

Not much in this one. Both can score, Joeys though has the slightly better defense.

EiVu1ydVoAEcByJ

While Kings can defend, Joeys have firepower across the park.

EiVvCSTUMAAlbTf

Again, both can defend well, but Joeys have scored over 130 points more than Grammar in 5 games. (Joeys average close to 60 per game)

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some question Shore's rugby programme but it is really no worse than these Newington returns. In fact, Shore won more games against Newington than they lost. It's on the way back. Headmaster Parker doesn't see 1st XV priorities like Headmaster Mulford. He is an academic and HSC results are in the frame more emphatically. The IB defence isn't working any more. Newington's rugby landscape is about to change more than most anticipate. What has propped it up for years is non-sustainable and is coming to an end.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Tough day at Hunter's Hill for the Newington 1sts and 2nds as reality hit them head on.

Amidst the wreckage of the day there were a couple of pieces of good news for Newington boys and supporters

16A Newington def Joeys 17-10
14A Newington Joeys 26-7

Also a couple of the lower age or open teams had wins against offset Joeys teams.

Hello Quick Hands (& Black&White),

Having watched several years of Newington rugby supremacy not that long ago, (coinciding with Joeys Decade of Drought), I can remind everyone that rugby strength across the schools is cyclical. Newington and Shore both have strong age groups coming through that will prove this to be true.

What is a concern however, is the ever-decreasing number of boys that appear to be playing rugby at Newington. With the U16 age group at Newington only to go down to 16C, and that team to be comprehensively beaten by Joeys 16Es illustrates this point.

It is extremely difficult to build a successful rugby program without depth of player talent.

As you would be well aware from my previous posts, I am fully supportive of a strong GPS rugby competition across ALL schools, and so these trends should be a concern to us all.

Regards
Its Not Pink

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hello Gentlemen/women and the like,

Joeys will surely be looking to cause an upset in the 1st and 3rd XV competitions against the competition favourites Kings and Grammar, respectively.

I for one am looking forward to a great week of schoolboy rugby as commenting on this forum and investing my time in AAGPS sports consumes my entire life.

Thank you and goodnight

I've been Brother Joseph one last time.

BJ

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Hello Quick Hands (& Black&White),

Having watched several years of Newington rugby supremacy not that long ago, (coinciding with Joeys Decade of Drought), I can remind everyone that rugby strength across the schools is cyclical. Newington and Shore both have strong age groups coming through that will prove this to be true.

What is a concern however, is the ever-decreasing number of boys that appear to be playing rugby at Newington. With the U16 age group at Newington only to go down to 16C, and that team to be comprehensively beaten by Joeys 16Es illustrates this point.

It is extremely difficult to build a successful rugby program without depth of player talent.

As you would be well aware from my previous posts, I am fully supportive of a strong GPS rugby competition across ALL schools, and so these trends should be a concern to us all.

Regards
Its Not Pink

Well said INP. Unfortunately for us as traditional GPS rugby fans in general, there are more options than ever for winter sport which has a diluting effect on the strength of rugby numbers. The AFL and soccer teams seem to grow at our schools which is a concern, the AFL in particular has been aggressive in building their school market.

School rugby depth does directly impact the effect on a successful rugby program and helps feed a successful culture.

Personal opinion is that larger boarding numbers help school rugby numbers, as the boys are always looking for an excuse to play some form or rugby outside with their mates. Keeps them sharp, helps with fitness, skills and familiarity of how member's of their team will interact on Saturday.