• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Hello Subbie.I'll bite. Lets get this out of the way now before the season proper starts.

Just a few facts to ponder.

SJC pay their casual coaches $27.50 an hour. This means the majority of the coaches are willing Old Boys looking to make some beer money for the weekend or current/past parents who volunteer their time (like me). Many of the coaches know the students well and have an emotional "connection" to the school. They are paid for a minimum 3 hours a week plus the hour on Saturday. This pay come from school fees. No money is sourced externally for this.

Funding for the Joeys rugby program comes from a pool of money gathered for "Joeys Sports". This means all money raised (in the form of ONE event called "Sports Lovers Lunch") must be evenly divided up among all codes and sports. In 2018 the sports lover lunch raised $300k to spread across every sport and activity. The Joeys Rowing BBQ and rowing dinner raises more funds for rowing as boats are not cheap. There is no Rugby Support group that raises money, pays coaches, pays for equipment and "sources" players.

Joeys run up to 45 rugby teams a season plus has to bus 1100 boys to and from games across Sydney. The Joeys transport bill is enormous. If they decided to make attendance optional imagine how much money could be forwarded to other programs

TSC pay their casual coaches $60 an hour (last checked this in 2017). These are usually hired coaches brought in from professional coaching companies. The coaches usually have no connection personally to the school. There is no compulsory attendance to watch the senior games (away) and hence TSC have a very small transport cost to Joeys.

Money to pay for the Scots coaches and other rugby aspects come purely from fund raising. And what fund raising it is.
The TSC rugby support group generates approx $300k a year through corporate sponsorship, season launch events and encouraging "boosters" and old boy unions to donate. The money is then spent on professional coach wages (a former 1st XV coach confirmed this arrangement), incredible equipment, events such as the Sevens and even overseas tours (one fund raiser I attended in 2005 saw $100k raised for a primary team to travel to New Zealand!). There were times in recent memory when money was funneled into "sporting" bursaries which technically did not break any rules regarding the word that can be spoken.

Both schools have their issues. Joeys though does have a fraction of the money to use compared to others.

Back at you Subbie!

I reckon Scots would win a lot more if they spent a lot less.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Ah Joker you have taken the bait again. Did you work in Kevin Rudd's marketing team cause you have more spin than Shane Warne. I'll pick apart what you have said later however I will say that you have taken all the extreme points and embellished on them. But we all love a good bit of banter.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Thats correct its all banter in the end. Love a good natured slanging match.
Mean while, Scots welcome their latest bursary students

Ed_oqR1U8AciMFO

Ed_oN-jUwAUNnAS

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Thats correct its all banter in the end. Love a good natured slanging match.

Ed_oqR1U8AciMFO

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ed_oN-jUwAUNnAS?format=jpg&[quote="Joker, post: 1150104, member: 29293"]Thats correct its all banter in the end. Love a good natured slanging match.

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ed_oqR1U8AciMFO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ed_oN-jUwAUNnAS
love all the banter, surely the Burgess boys are too old for a bursary. Is the other guy in the photo the new U13 half back?

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Hello Subbie.I'll bite. Lets get this out of the way now before the season proper starts.

SJC pay their casual coaches $27.50 an hour. This means the majority of the coaches are willing Old Boys looking to make some beer money for the weekend or current/past parents who volunteer their time (like me). Many of the coaches know the students well and have an emotional "connection" to the school. They are paid for a minimum 3 hours a week plus the hour on Saturday. This pay come from school fees. No money is sourced externally for this.

Funding for the Joeys rugby program comes from a pool of money gathered for "Joeys Sports". This means all money raised (in the form of ONE event called "Sports Lovers Lunch") must be evenly divided up among all codes and sports. In 2018 the sports lover lunch raised $300k to spread across every sport and activity. The Joeys Rowing BBQ and rowing dinner raises more funds for rowing as boats are not cheap. There is no Rugby Support group that raises money, pays coaches, pays for equipment and "sources" players.

Joeys run up to 45 rugby teams a season plus has to bus 1100 boys to and from games across Sydney. The Joeys transport bill is enormous. If they decided to make attendance optional imagine how much money could be forwarded to other programs

TSC pay their casual coaches $60 an hour (last checked this in 2017). These are usually hired coaches brought in from professional coaching companies. The coaches usually have no connection personally to the school. There is no compulsory attendance to watch the senior games (away) and hence TSC have a very small transport cost to Joeys.

Money to pay for the Scots coaches and other rugby aspects come purely from fund raising. And what fund raising it is.
The TSC rugby support group generates approx $300k a year through corporate sponsorship, season launch events and encouraging "boosters" and old boy unions to donate. The money is then spent on professional coach wages (a former 1st XV coach confirmed this arrangement), incredible equipment, events such as the Sevens and even overseas tours (one fund raiser I attended in 2005 saw $100k raised for a primary team to travel to New Zealand!). There were times in recent memory when money was funneled into "sporting" bursaries which technically did not break any rules regarding the word that can be spoken.

Both schools have their issues. Joeys though does have a fraction of the money to use compared to others.

Back at you Subbie!
All private schools and kids are privileged. Your ‘crying poor’ joeys approach is pathetic. Maybe you/joeys should focus more on teaching because joeys academic results are embarrassing.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
All private schools and kids are privileged. Your ‘crying poor’ joeys approach is pathetic. Maybe you/joeys should focus more on teaching because joeys academic results are embarrassing.

Hello Joker, But I will

Once again One Eye Pirate you embarrass and humiliate yourself with a profound sense of factual incompetence. "Not all students who attend Independent Schools are privileged" . Clearly, you didn't attend one, otherwise you would not be making such an ill informed comment. My parents worked their guts out send me and my brother to Newington and my sister MLC Burwood.

My father had two jobs. His normal 9-5 job and then he taught at TAFE at night up till 10.00 PM some nights. My Mother worked as a nurse in an age care facility and often was involved in the physical lifting of patients, that was at times proved to be painful and stressful for her.

We never went on expensive holidays or had expensive items, such as speed boats or a yacht.

I belonged to a family that was a Middle Class, socially mobile and aspirational. My parents poured in their sweat, tears and physical comfort in order for me to be educated at a liberal, progressive, and inclusive school that is Newington College.80% of my fellow Newington students were of somewhat similar background, with two working parents. I am also sure, there would be similar stories from other Independent Schools, particular those that are GPS of equal sacrifices by loving parents.

As for Joeys and their academic results, about two years ago you made the most incompetent analysis of Scots, Joeys and Newington concerning their results( Remember as A Tutor in Educational Studies at University Level, I gave you a Double FF (Folau Fainga'a) for your substandard effort concerning academic analysis.)Further, if I remember, Joker and Quick Hands, also took you task revealing a profoundly inept commentary made yourself. Clearly, your intellectual and professional capacity, has not improved since then and you remain breathtakingly incompetent in such matters.

Oh, by the way I though I would add to my last comment about your Condensing and Self-righteous crap to schools with elite Rugby Programmes.

What you fail to acknowledge, is that they are Independent Schools. As such Independent Schools are entitled to shape and develop themselves, according to their own ethos, history, traditions and above all else the wishes of their Parents,Old Boys,Staff and their School Councils, who express the ambitions, hopes and dreams, as to what sort of school they would likely to be.

Clearly, five of them in the GPS wish to have elite Rugby Programs. It is not for you to tell them otherwise, particularly, as you appear to have no GPS background, as revealed by your highly tasteless comment, "that all students are privileged". I find there is nothing worst than a GPS Imposter, who masquerades as if he knows anything about our schools and their History.

May I suggest ever so politely, that you take leave from this site as your capacity, to make rational, emotionally intelligent, professionally competent and factually correct comments, is currently non-existent. Further, you should learn something their particular individual history, as educating less privilege families is fact part of their calling, as revealed in Newington's Wesleyian/Methodist background and the Marcellan tradition at Joeys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hello Joker, But I will

Once again One Eye Pirate you embarrass and humiliate yourself with a profound sense of factual incompetence. "Not all students who attend Independent Schools are privileged" . Clearly, you didn't attend one, otherwise you would not be making such an ill informed comment. My parents worked their guts out send me and my brother to Newington and my sister MLC Burwood.

My father had two jobs. His normal 9-5 job and then he taught at TAFE at night up till 10.00 PM some nights. My Mother worked as a nurse in an age care facility and often was involved in the physical lifting of patients, that was at times proved to be painful and stressful for her.

We never went on expensive holidays or had expensive items, such as speed boats or a yacht.

I belonged to a family that was a Middle Class, socially mobile and aspirational. My parents poured in their sweat, tears and physical comfort in order for me to be educated at a liberal, progressive, and inclusive school that is Newington College.80% of my fellow Newington students were of somewhat similar background, with two working parents. I am also sure, there would be similar stories from other Independent Schools, particular those that are GPS of equal sacrifices by loving parents.

As for Joeys and their academic results, about two years ago you made the most incompetent analysis of Scots, Joeys and Newington concerning their results( Remember as A Tutor in Educational Studies at University Level, I gave you a Double FF (Folau Fainga'a) for your substandard effort concerning academic analysis.)Further, if I remember, Joker and Quick Hands, also took you task revealing a profoundly inept commentary made yourself. Clearly, your intellectual and professional capacity, has not improved since then and you remain breathtakingly incompetent in such matters.

Oh, by the way I though I would add to my last comment about your Condensing and Self-righteous crap to schools with elite Rugby Programmes.

What you fail to acknowledge, is that they are Independent Schools. As such Independent Schools are entitled to shape and develop themselves, according to their own ethos, history, traditions and above all else the wishes of their Parents,Old Boys,Staff and their School Councils, who express the ambitions, hopes and dreams, as to what sort of school they would likely to be.

Clearly, five of them in the GPS wish to have elite Rugby Programs. It is not for you to tell them otherwise, particularly, as you appear to have no GPS background, as revealed by your highly tasteless comment, "that all students are privileged". I find there is nothing worst than a GPS Imposter, who masquerades as if he knows anything about our schools and their History.

May I suggest ever so politely, that you take leave from this site as your capacity, to make rational, emotionally intelligent, professionally competent and factually correct comments, is currently non-existent. Further, you should learn something their particular individual history, as educating less privilege families is fact part of their calling, as revealed in Newington's Wesleyian/Methodist background and the Marcellan tradition at Joeys.

Well said B&W

I didn't have a city upbringing, mine was in the foothills of the snowy mountains. My parents had to grow a lot of fruit to send my brother and I to board at Joeys in the 1970's & 80's. Now I pass on this experience with much personal sacrifice to my three boys.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Well said B&W
Hello Joker

It is a common misconception, that just because we attended a GPS School that we were born with" a silver spoon in out mouth". This is often due mindless bigotry from those who wanted to go. But because of circumstance, were unable to attend. Rather, they use sites such as Green & Gold to vent their unhappiness and bitterness towards our schools. These attacks include false reporting of HSC results or attacking programmes of excellence, such as the Rugby. As they represent a display of sporting excellence to the wider community.

If you notice these critics of excellence, rarely write a profile or do a match review or preview of Schoolboy Rugby on the Green and Gold site. They prefer to sit on the peripheral and talk non Rugby issues. So you won't get a a profile or review on how the Joeys 15As are doing, or an assessment on the strength of the Kings Open Division. All you get out of them is their petty jealousy, on how a school is performing due to its elite sports programme. This is largely because they neither attend or support GPS Rugby in reality. To them Green And Gold is an open invitation for them to attack schools.As such this site is for them, a forum for the dumping of their personal disappointments.

These Malcontents are easy to pick, as all they do in their commenties is attack, belittle or complain.

If in doubt, review their previous posts of these individuals and you find their Rugby commentaries, are few and far.

R

RuggerFan1

Back at you Subbie!

Its funny because all the information you said about the coaches at Scots is false.

Joker I ask how can you lie through your teeth like this.

R

RuggerFan1

Scots fielding 10 open XVs this year. The most they've had in a long time. Quite interesting.

Also Scots 3rd XV playing View 3rds in a trial match at Scots this weekend.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I am hearing O’Kane at Joeys has put in a BIG off season. He was pretty intimidating last year, i wouldn’t want to be tackled by him this year. Helps to have a father who is a first rate strength trainer. The way the rest of the Joeys pack is shaping up sounds extremely promising. Looking forward to watching some rugby when we are allowed.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Its funny because all the information you said about the coaches at Scots is false.

How strange Rugger.
My information came from the former TSC Director of Sport who moved to Cranbrook in 2014.
I am happy to be corrected with facts and figures.

1. How much are external coaches paid per hour?
2. Where do these coaches come from? Prep-Seniors as well please
3. What is the attendance policy for 1st Xv games?

Lovely to hear Scots go down to the 10ths this year.
This makes good sense since the school is now quite massive with numbers.
1200+ now in the Senior campus

RogerScots82

Stan Wickham (3)
How strange Rugger.
My information came from the former TSC Director of Sport who moved to Cranbrook in 2014.
I am happy to be corrected with facts and figures.

Hello Joker,

From what i know the part time coaches are on around 40-50 dollars an hour, but almost all of the coaches are young old boys or staff members, there is only one coach that is not a teacher or an old boy out of all teams from 13s to opens (not including 1sts).

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Joker I also do remember when Mike Morgan came to coach at Joey's for Rowing the old boys raised around $70k for a brand new empacher rowing boat. It's not uncommon for old boys of all schools to chip in.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has everyone finished their version of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen skit now? Perhaps just talk about rugby? Enough about whose piles of land / buildings / equipment and staff are most virtuous. It paints none of you in a good light, really.