• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
. Last year Newington changed its style of play from a power game built around crash and bash forward play, to a more enjoyable and expansive game.
Hello Wristman
Last year Newington changed its style of play from a power game built around crash and bash forward play, to a more enjoyable and expansive game. This is still a work in progress. So the Newington style of play, could be unexpectedly different this year. Time will tell.

Time will tell indeed Black & White.
My prediction of questionable Newington fitness early sesaon is looking fairly sound.
Fortunately for you Black & White the second half of my prediction is improvement as the season progresses and they play catch up on fitness.
On a more pleasing note I thought Joeys were a little undercooked on fitness yesterday.
A few forwards blowing very hard.
Feeling quietly confident after such a strong showing by Scots away from home.
A very mobile and large set of backs clicking early.
Round 2 with home advantage for Scots is looking a bridge too far for Joeys.
No trophy this year I'm afraid Joker.
You heard it here first!:)
Scots to the fore!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Scots to the fore!

Hey Wristy. Welcome back old mate. Nice to have to you on the boards again

Yes, it may be hard for Joeys to win all three championships again this year (we have only done it five times).
The SJC forwards looked tired with the props needing a few more sessions of gym work and less dining room dinners.
The Scots backs looked impressive BUT they seemed to just go side to side without much forward progress.
I liked the passing game of the 12 who had a good wide pass, but Joeys seemed to be ready for this
The TSC 13 and 15 look dangerous but seemed to be contained mostly.
The battle of the 8's was impressive with the Scots 8 running wider and not using is size to hit it up close.
He scored a try in the first half when he lined up the Joeys small 13.
O'Kane did have a few offloads, the most important was four passes before the final try.

Looking forward to another year of mirth and mayhem.

4avz4o.jpg

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Time will tell indeed Black & White.
My prediction of questionable Newington fitness early sesaon is looking fairly sound.
Fortunately for you Black & White the second half of my prediction is improvement as the season progresses and they play catch up on fitness.
On a more pleasing note I thought Joeys were a little undercooked on fitness yesterday.
A few forwards blowing very hard.
Feeling quietly confident after such a strong showing by Scots away from home.
A very mobile and large set of backs clicking early.
Scots to the fore!

Wristman,

I'd say it was very evenly matched between the two.

Outcome of the season is very dependent on who trains harder and is more determined out of SJC, View and Scots in the coming weeks.

We only know this off one trial game and IMHO it can go either way between these three.

Anyone have any thought on Kings?

Wasn't able to watch was too immersed in those 3.

Top 3 for the season has to go to View, SJC and Scots 100%.

Cordially, TDO.

Incompetent Crockpot

Bob McCowan (2)
Wristman,

Outcome of the season is very dependent on who trains harder and is more determined out of SJC, View and Scots in the coming weeks.

We only know this off one trial game and IMHO it can go either way between these three.

Cordially, TDO.

I was able to catch the last 20 minutes of the King’s game. I thought they looked very slick in attack and took advantage of a somewhat inexperienced Newington side.
Will be interesting to see what Kings comes up with for the rest of the season.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I was able to catch the last 20 minutes of the King’s game. I thought they looked very slick in attack and took advantage of a somewhat inexperienced Newington side.
Will be interesting to see what Kings comes up with for the rest of the season.

Won't have to wait long to see what Kings are made of.
Saturday at Bellevue Hill will reveal all.
Should be a good game.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Wristman,

Cordially, TDO.

I think we'll see a different game from Joeys against View on Saturday. Even if the No10 is cleared of major damage to his popped shoulder, they'll certainly leave him out and the backline structure will be radically affected. Ben Dowling is a fantastic footballer, but 15 is his natural fit. I doubt they'll put him there even though he did slot in after Luca Antico was injured.
Joeys forwards were certainly short of a gallop, and it showed. Front row is still a work in progress with only LH Websdale a certainty. Having said that, Scots front row were also experimental, one of them only in Year 10.
btw, soeone earlier asked if there was a Cobcroft playing for Scots - Jasper Cobcroft (great name!) was captain and No12 for Scots 2nds.

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
I think we'll see a different game from Joeys against View on Saturday. Even if the No10 is cleared of major damage to his popped shoulder, they'll certainly leave him out and the backline structure will be radically affected. Ben Dowling is a fantastic footballer, but 15 is his natural fit. I doubt they'll put him there even though he did slot in after Luca Antico was injured.
Joeys forwards were certainly short of a gallop, and it showed. Front row is still a work in progress with only LH Websdale a certainty. Having said that, Scots front row were also experimental, one of them only in Year 10.
btw, soeone earlier asked if there was a Cobcroft playing for Scots - Jasper Cobcroft (great name!) was captain and No12 for Scots 2nds.

Ace,

Riverview most definitely have a more mobile forward pack compared to the cattle of a front row they've made over the river.

No injuries for View.

Will be very interesting to see how the two match up.

TDO.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Kenny, TDO here.

Any stand out phases/ players?

TDO.

TDO the kicking tee runner had a busy day but was a stand out nonetheless. He was able to execute well despite being pursued by a number of slightly aggressive Jerry McGuire types easily identified by their choice of automobile differing from the Range Rovers and top of line over accessorised Land Cruisers.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Dislocated shoulder. At least a few weeks. I like Ben at 10 and have seen him do really well there but it will be interesting to see what they do.

I think Joeys will smoke View on the weekend. Shore were awful and won’t be good preparation for View.

T

The Hammer

I think Joeys will smoke View on the weekend. Shore were awful and won’t be good preparation for View.

N7, it’s H

While shore were well underdone, i wouldn’t underestimate view, their pack looked mobile yet physical and their backs looked slick. In particular the 15.

As for Dowling at 10, he is a very capable footballer and would fit in anywhere in the Joeys backline, great ball player with good footwork to match his light feet. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he played 10 in the 16A’s so he is certainly no stranger to the position at a decent level of rugby.

Should be interesting, joeys by 5 is my prediction.

Hammer.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
N7, it’s H

While shore were well underdone, i wouldn’t underestimate view, their pack looked mobile yet physical and their backs looked slick. In particular the 15.

As for Dowling at 10, he is a very capable footballer and would fit in anywhere in the Joeys backline, great ball player with good footwork to match his light feet. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he played 10 in the 16A’s so he is certainly no stranger to the position at a decent level of rugby.

Should be interesting, joeys by 5 is my prediction.

Hammer.

Will certainly be interesting to see how to game plays out.
Considering the rain forecast, I’m sure it will be a forwards game. If it comes down to that, I think view have a solid forward pack with mobile loose forwards as well as a heavy hitting front and second row. I wasn’t able to watch much of the joeys game on the weekend, but I did see they were quite puffed out towards the end of the match. Other than that, I’m sure they will present a solid and precise forward pack as they always do.
Too early for me to make my decision about the fixture - will let you all know later in the week.

I’d love to hear predictions for the other matches.

Cheers

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Won't have to wait long to see what Kings are made of.
Saturday at Bellevue Hill will reveal all.
Should be a good game.

Kings were tradesman-like. They did the basics pretty well and were solid without being brilliant. Their best player injured and ran the kicking tee. They were always in control against an inexperienced opposition. Newington will struggle this year without a massive improvement on Saturday.

T

The Hammer

Kings were tradesman-like. They did the basics pretty well and were solid without being brilliant. Their best player injured and ran the kicking tee. They were always in control against an inexperienced opposition. Newington will struggle this year without a massive improvement on Saturday.

QH, it's H

Was Suali playing or is he the one you are referring to when you say that the best player was running the tee?

If so, any word on when he will be back?

Hammer.