• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Grammar enduring great success during the Spanish Flu. Perhaps a resurgence during Corona virus?

Here are the 1st XV results during this time. 1st, 2nd and 3rds

EgAMnPSUcAA_S28

TheBlumpkinEnthusiast

Stan Wickham (3)
Dr Kim told me there was a directive from the NSW DET (about 1996) that High should stop enrolling smart footballers but target super smart students.
It's disappointing that NSW DET havent been able to balance academics in sport. I know in Victoria, Melbourne High School, a state school, similar to SBHS in age and tradition has struck a very successful balance between sport and academia, albeit in AFL rather than rugby.

Alexander Wilson

Frank Row (1)
While we're on the topic Joker,

do you have any stats about QLD GPS Aus schoolboys in comparison?

In the meantime I've been BJ, stay awesome.

Since the induction of the Queensland GPS rugby competition St Joseph’s Nudgee have dominated with 37 premierships. Ipswich won in my final year (1989), boy they were tough.

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's disappointing that NSW DET havent been able to balance academics in sport. I know in Victoria, Melbourne High School, a state school, similar to SBHS in age and tradition has struck a very successful balance between sport and academia, albeit in AFL rather than rugby.

Unfortunately I believe their success in support is limited to AFL TBE.

If I'm correct they struggle to match up against other opposition in nearly all other sports.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Brisbane State High (a public school) a relatively strong contender in the QLD GPS competition?

Correct TME, but they also entice with what can't be mentioned on this thread, not judging btw, just different from SBHS rugby. Recent Qld GPS comp' is a different than our AAGPS rugby in their approach as a whole. Nudgee have always been strong regardless.

AW would be able to give better incite.

Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front? F..k off! We're the People's Front of Judea - MP (Moana Pasifika), Life of Brian.

TheBlumpkinEnthusiast

Stan Wickham (3)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Brisbane State High (a public school) a relatively strong contender in the QLD GPS competition?
As far I'm concerned the entire queensland GPS comp is competitive, with no weak teams (although BBC has never won a premiership.)
I'm sure our newcomer friend Alexander will be able to offer more insight.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was talking to a Kings boarding housemaster today, no one really knows what is going on. However, they are all pretty confident something workable will come out of Monday’s meeting. My gut feeling from the chat with him is that 1sts 2nds 3rds will obviously be the priority and that lower age groups will be subject to the boys being able to get the school grounds, play footy and leave again I.e not playing at random fields all over Sydney. Kings are clearly in the best position to host, followed by Joeys, View and Shore. The rest may have to hope those schools will avail their grounds for ‘away’ fixtures.

TheBlumpkinEnthusiast

Stan Wickham (3)
I was talking to a Kings boarding housemaster today, no one really knows what is going on. However, they are all pretty confident something workable will come out of Monday’s meeting. My gut feeling from the chat with him is that 1sts 2nds 3rds will obviously be the priority and that lower age groups will be subject to the boys being able to get the school grounds, play footy and leave again I.e not playing at random fields all over Sydney. Kings are clearly in the best position to host, followed by Joeys, View and Shore. The rest may have to hope those schools will avail their grounds for ‘away’ fixtures.
Hopefully we can get a resolution and get the season back on track. A totally thoughtless initiative from NSW Health.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone thought about the correlation between shore having an unreal rowing program and a sub-par rugby program. Anyone else under the belief that rowing can inhibit coordination?

TheBlumpkinEnthusiast

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone thought about the correlation between shore having an unreal rowing program and a sub-par rugby program. Anyone else under the belief that rowing can inhibit coordination?
From my understanding the rowers are just totally overtrained. I heard that every single person in one of their 8s this year had a stress fracture in their back and yet they still had to compete at HOTR.
I think the SHORE program could take a leaf out of Joey's s and c program

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Genuinely silly theory.

Reality is that Shore have been forcing rowers to choose and effectively opt out of rugby for a long time. Their rugby would have benefited from having more towers available. During the very dominant 80’s - 90’s period for Joeys the forwards were typically 50% rowers.