• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Good evening all.

First time poster however long time reader since 2013.

Looking forward to the 2021 season.

1. School you follow mostNewington College
2. School you would follow next – St Joseph’s College
3. School that has the best canteen – Scots College
4. School that has the best pies - Shore
5. School that has the best BBQ – Back To Newington Day – Pork on the Spit
6. School with the best support – St Joseph’s College followed by Riverview
7. School you wish that could one again play in the 1st XV competition. – SBHS & Grammar
8. School with the best main oval. – Newington and Riverview

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hello Bro Joe
Hope you had a wonderful Xmas break and a happy new Year.

With any thing up to 12 players returning from last year's 1st XV, plus the added benefit, that they are now mainly a 17 year old team, last years result's could be a thing of the past. As I believe the potential for an improved performance, is certainly a real possibility. Remember, they represent a very talented age, group that was under defeated in 2017 as the 13As again in 2018 as the 14As, lost only one in the 2019 as 15As and again as last year's 16As, they only lost only one game.

This talent is further expressed as this 16s age group, won the Immediate GPS Athletics last year. Although, they will most certainly will be facing some predominantly powerful 18 year old teams. it is likely the gap they faced as 16year olds last year, will be narrowed this year.

It will be most interesting to see how much they have improved. At this level, improvement will not just be confined to playing skills, but a year of physical growth, increased personal confidence and the absorption of last year's experience into their team's cohesion. Additional benefits, will include the further development of their playing style and a knowledge they now know, the playing standards together with the physical effort, required of them to play 1st XV GPS Rugby. Some of these factors are unknown ingredients in a teams's development, as such they represent an element of unpredictability. So Bro Joe, I am more optimistic about Newington's player potential for 2021 and 2022.

I don't know C.Holiday, or his impact on New's performance. But he is but one player and Rugby is a team sport. I know New possess some raw talent, that could develop and cover his lost. For example few people expected last year's 16As to be as successful as they were. I believe most were drawn from the 15Bs and 15Cs of 2019. Yet they developed into a very lethal 16A side. Having only being beaten by a strong Shore side, who they beat in the preseason. The introduction of these 16As players, could prove to be an additional element, indeed a game changer for the depth and player ability this year.

Unfortunately, restrictions in the length of the playing season could be harmful, indeed devastating for team development.

Time will tell, but as a New Supporter I look forward to this wild card potential, with the hope that some more favoured sides are heading for potential ambushes again New and even Shore. Remember how in 2015 that New side was unrecognisable from the one that played in 2014. My prediction for the 2021 season is one that it will be a closer competition between all schools. So expect, some big efforts from both Shore and Newington, to to create a more level playing field in GPS Rugby.

Hello Black & White,

Newington will definitely have a strong and talented playing group in 2021. With 12 boys returning from last year’s 1st and 2nd XV, the addition of Under 16A’s and the introduction of Tim Rapp as the schools director of coaching.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...or-role-at-sydney-school-20210127-p56x89.html

The trials games against the CAS schools will be a good test for the boys from Stanmore especially those who haven’t played in the Opens arena.

Waverly – 24th April
Barker – 1st May
Knox – 22nd May

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello Black & White,

Newington will definitely have a strong and talented playing group in 2021. With 12 boys returning from last year’s 1st and 2nd XV, the addition of Under 16A’s and the introduction of Tim Rapp as the schools director of coaching.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...or-role-at-sydney-school-20210127-p56x89.html

The trials games against the CAS schools will be a good test for the boys from Stanmore especially those who haven’t played in the Opens arena.

Waverly – 24th April
Barker – 1st May
Knox – 22nd May

Many thanks Love2Scrum

Its great to have another New Supporter on Green & Gold. Yes, I think a number of commentators have misread New's potential and player strength. I am being cautious, but I believe New can be expected to take down some of the more fancied sides. Last year New missed out on having an extensive preseason, thereby leading to some heavy losses.The fact they are playing three strong CAS sides, as you have mentioned, will only prepare the 1st XV for the GPS matches.

They still are a very young side, but have been bloodied into an experienced side. More importantly I would expect with 12 returning players, that they have some cohesive player combinations, within the team. Leading to the dictum, "That a Champion team" will beat, a team of Champions". So to the supporter's of Joeys, View, Kings and Scots, don't make the mistake of expecting a repeat of 2020. I am expecting a far closer and more competitive season in 2021. Yes, I am sure they will experience their share of defeats, but as a young side they are more likely to benefit from a defeat and thereby grow as a team. Such defeats will serve as a benchmark for improved performances.

Together with Shore who will have an influx of talented players, also from their strong 16As, these two "Young Gun sides" I suspect could have potential to really "Throw A Spanner into the Works" regarding the GPS ambitions of the other four schools. Time will tell, but I feel at present that 2021, will be a different season from 2020 in GPS Rugby.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Good evening fellow GPS Rugby followers,
Below are my predictions and few a boys to watch out for this 2021 rugby season.

1st XV
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
St Ignatius College
Newington College
The Kings School
Sydney Church of England Grammar

2nd XV
Newington College
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
The Kings School
St Ignatius College

St. Joseph’s College
Max Jorgensen, Oscar Jorgensen, Sam Hanan, Della Paita, Ronan Leahy

The Scots College
Terrell Kalokalo, Ben Distasio, Ollie Cummins, Nick Wiggan, Zac Fitler

St. Ignatius College
Dan Nelson, Will Hopper, Sam Griffin

Newington College
Hugh Bell, Gabe Poidevin, Jesse McLean, Siteni Taukamo,

The Kings School
Hadley Tonga, Tyrese Lokeni, Richard Penisini, Boston Fakafanua,

Henry Murray, Jackson Stiel, Oscar McCook, Will Rohrsheim, Ashton Lyne,

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Below are my predictions and few a boys to watch out for this 2021 rugby season.

1st XV
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
St Ignatius College
Newington College
The Kings School

2nd XV
Newington College
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
The Kings School
St Ignatius College

St. Joseph’s College

The Scots College

St. Ignatius College

Newington College

The Kings School

Hello Love2Scum

Well done on an excellent review for 2021. For Newington Gabe Poidevin and Hugh Bell, any relationship to Simon and Angus Bell ( I believe his Newington's Latest Wallaby) if so and their like their illustrious relatives.New could be fielding some exciting talent.

Keep the good work up, Love2Scum, looking forward to more insights from you.

Regards B&W

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hello Love2Scum

Well done on an excellent review for 2021. For Newington Gabe Poidevin and Hugh Bell, any relationship to Simon and Angus Bell ( I believe his Newington's Latest Wallaby) if so and their like their illustrious relatives.New could be fielding some exciting talent.

Keep the good work up, Love2Scum, looking forward to more insights from you.

Regards B&W

Yep, Gabe is Simon's son, and Hugh is the younger brother of Angus and the son of former Wallaby Mark Bell

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
From the Kings School Online Calendar

20th March - Internal Trials

24th April - Trial v Scots (H)
1st May - Trial v Joeys (A)
8th May - Trial v Riverview (H)
15th May - Trial v Waverley (H)
22nd May - Trial v St Augustines (A)
29th May - Trial v New (A)
5th June - RD 1 v Scots (A)

17th July - RD 2 v Joeys (H)
24th July - RD 3 v New (H)
31st July - RD 4 v Riverview (A)
7th Aug - RD 5 v Shore (A)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

1st XV
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
St Ignatius College
Newington College
The Kings School

2nd XV
Newington College
St. Joseph’s College
The Scots College
The Kings School
St Ignatius College

St. Joseph’s College

The Scots College

St. Ignatius College

Newington College

The Kings School

Hello Again Love2Scrum
Could not but notice a few Pacific Islander names, in the Kings line up of Players to watch. Its great to see these boys in GPS Rugby, entering schools other than Newington. If you were look at the Newington and Kings lineup of players, both these schools now reflect, the current demographics of were Australian Rugby is headed. I am sure other schools will follow.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

The Kings School

I think you might have missed two or three there. All members of the NSW Youth 7's team that comprehensively beat QLD Youth 7's over 4 games last weekend in Brisbane. One in particular who's winning U17 100m time at least years GPS Championships was better than the Opens winning time.

Mind you, Jorgo's son was outstanding in that team too, incredible pace.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
I think you might have missed two or three there. All members of the NSW Youth 7's team that comprehensively beat QLD Youth 7's over 4 games last weekend in Brisbane. One in particular who's winning U17 100m time at least years GPS Championships was better than the Opens winning time.

WTF? No doubt there are a few talented Kings boys coming through the grades.

Max Jorgensen’s elevation to the 1st XV’s arena last year is paying dividends towards the kids performance. Having said this the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hello Again Love2Scrum
Could not but notice a few Pacific Islander names, in the Kings line up of Players to watch. Its great to see these boys in GPS Rugby, entering schools other than Newington. If you were look at the Newington and Kings lineup of players, both these schools now reflect, the current demographics of were Australian Rugby is headed. I am sure other schools will follow.

The demographics of the world in union is changing and it is good to see that other GPS Schools are slowly adapting to the change regardless of a students family Origin. The only sad factor for the game is that most of the boys mentioned in my previous post are associated with NRL Clubs.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)

WTF? No doubt there are a few talented Kings boys coming through the grades.

Max Jorgensen’s elevation to the 1st XV’s arena last year is paying dividends towards the kids performance. Having said this the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree.
From Kings....Connor Bond, Riley Hemsworth and Tyrese Lokeni

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The demographics of the world in union is changing and it is good to see that other GPS Schools are slowly adapting to the change regardless of a students family Origin. The only sad factor for the game is that most of the boys mentioned in my previous post are associated with NRL Clubs.
Hello Love2Scum
Yes, this is a real problem and needs to be addressed by Rugby Australia at the grassroots level.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Rudderless.

Sounds like Kings will have a Ferrari backline for the next two years especially with the likes of
Hadley Tonga, Tyrese Lokeni, Richard Penisini, Boston Fakafanua, Connor Bond & Riley Hemsworth.

Hello Rudderless
From Kings..Connor Bond, Riley Hemsworth and Tyrese Lokeni

Hello Rudderless

Are these players members of last years KINGS 15As. I have been told they are an outstanding team, who together with Joeys 15As. Both teams have dominated their age group since the Under 13s. It would appear that we have some very strong sides taking the field in the 2021 GPS Rugby.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Black & White

Hadley Tonga, Tyrese Lokeni, Richard Penisini and Boston Fakafanua are all in Year 10 this year. Connor Bond and Riley Hemsworth are both in Year 12.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Black & White

Hadley Tonga, Tyrese Lokeni, Richard Penisini and Boston Fakafanua are all in Year 10 this year. Connor Bond and Riley Hemsworth are both in Year 12.

Hello Rudderless

Thanks for confirming my fears, that Kings will be incorporating some of their very talented 15As from 2020 into their 2021 1st XV. I am getting the feeling that there will be some absolutely brilliant talent on display in this year's GPS matches.

Regards

Black & White