• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Marist Ashrove is definitely stronger than Marist Canberra and St Greg's.

It was a massive Marist festival on the weekend.
This year marks 150 years the Marist Brothers have been in Oz.
Their first school was built in 1872. St Patrick's in Harrington Street, The Rocks.
Following the move of residents out of the city centre, the campus was moved to Dundas in 1962.

In 1876,10 acres of land was sold for 300 pounds to the Marist Brothers for their planned boarding school, which they would transfer from Harrington St, and novitiate.
On July 18, 1881, a Lane Cove steamer brought 44 boys to the Fig Tree Wharf.
Their new school was a four-minute walk up the hill.
St Joseph’s College had begun.

What did they play in winter? Australian Rules. Rugby came later

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Marist Ashrove is definitely stronger than Marist Canberra and St Greg's.

It was a massive Marist festival on the weekend.
This year marks 150 years the Marist Brothers have been in Oz.
Their first school was built in 1872. St Patrick's in Harrington Street, The Rocks.
Following the move of residents out of the city centre, the campus was moved to Dundas in 1962.

In 1876,10 acres of land was sold for 300 pounds to the Marist Brothers for their planned boarding school, which they would transfer from Harrington St, and novitiate.
On July 18, 1881, a Lane Cove steamer brought 44 boys to the Fig Tree Wharf.
Their new school was a four-minute walk up the hill.
St Joseph’s College had begun.

What did they play in winter? Australian Rules. Rugby came later
At first there was no sport at all, the brothers thought it was a distraction. Things moved quickly and they soon realised that it was a better strategy to run the boys to exhaustion. The late Brother Joe, headmaster through most of the 1980's until 91 had many classic phrases, one of his best was "tired boys are good boys and Joe boys are tired boys".

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I believe at least 15 boys have given up on Newington senior rugby
I really think things are not well at Newington
Shore looking ok for numbers. 28 teams this year with 8 opens teams. Thats about the same as its been the last few years.

Interestingly AFL has gone backwards with only three teams this year. I'm not sure if thats due to demand or the school only offered three teams this year. Either way thats less than previous years.

No trials yet.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
At first there was no sport at all, the brothers thought it was a distraction. Things moved quickly and they soon realised that it was a better strategy to run the boys to exhaustion. The late Brother Joe, headmaster through most of the 1980's until 91 had many classic phrases, one of his best was "tired boys are good boys and Joe boys are tired boys".
for those interested - here's a link to the 3 Marist games played on Saturday

https://youtu.be/83j64rWFCUI

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
Hello Rippa
You find the 1st and 2nds, should hold together.As many of these players have been together for 2 seasons.It will be the middle and lower open teams that are the hardest hit.

But the issue is travelling after Rugby Training on week days. In my day, if I finished at 5.00pm, I could be on Stanmore railway station by 530 PM. But would have to catch a train to Ashfield. Change at Ashfield for a train to Strathfield. Wait, catch my train to Epping, wait and catch a bus to my home. Rarely, on training day afternoons, did I get inside my home before 7.00PM. When you did get home, you had no energy or interest, to do quality HSC study.

This factor plays heavy on winter sport at Newington. As stated a large boarding house, particularly one, geared to a large Year 11 and 12 intake, would go a long way to resolving this issue.

When I went to University, I made sure I was booked into College accommodation, to avoid any type of travel, irrespective of how short it was. The benefits enable me to obtain a Honours level Post GraduateDegree in my final years. I would not have obtained, such Academic Honours had I travelled as a Schoolboy.

I have spoken to number of fathers, most Old Boys and they are all in full agreement that a Senior Boarding House, would benefit the school in the Academics, Sports and the Performing Arts. The Problem is Money and where to build it. My suggestion is to purchase the Cyprus Club, which is at the top Stanmore Road.But also within walking distance of the Main campus. The College can also, refurnish the Concordia Club as Boarding Facilities. At least a couple Hundred boarders, could be accommodated in these facilities, even with single Rooms.
Hello Black & White,

From what I was told today the Opens Squad ie 1sts and 2nds at Stanmore are holding together like super glue and the boys are training the house down.

I’m led to believe that a few of the of boys have arrived at Newington from Tupou College for the first time since 2020 due to Covid and a couple of them are now apart of the squad.

In summary the rugby boys want to restore rugby pride at the school and hopefully win the silverware as their peers have done in basketball, cricket and water polo during the summer sports in 2022.

Cheers
Love2scrum

Last edited:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello Black & White,

From what I was told today the Opens Squad ie 1sts and 2nds at Stanmore are holding together like super glue and the boys are training the house down.

I’m led to believe that a few of the of boys have arrived at Newington from Tupou College for the first time since 2020 due to Covid and a couple of them are now apart of the squad.

In summary the rugby boys want to restore rugby pride at the school and hopefully win the silverware as their peers have done in basketball, cricket and water polo during the summer sports in 2022.

Cheers
Love2scrum
Hello Love2Srcum
That is great to hear, the advantage I believe Newington will also bring, will be the possession of GPS Rugby Experience. Experience can count for a lot and with many of the players have played two seasons at 1st XV level. They know the intensity required of them to perform at this level.
Its also so great to hear that Basketball, Cricket and Water Polo are bring home the Silverware, back to Stanmore.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I have just finished the Newington College survey. The survey was very good. It focused on a number of areas that could be very critical to Rugby at Newington. The first, was expanding the Size of Newington for boys. Here questions involved class sizes, sporting facilities and staff. The questions in the main focused upon, the issues of increasing the size of the school
Next, was co-education and as stated on this site I was unapologetic against it. Unfortunately, the questions were geared up to appearing to be for Co-education, but that might have been my interpretation of the Survey.

I recommend a school of 1800 boys and more boarding. As this would make Newington a significantly stronger Rugby school.
No date when the results will be in. But clearly, the School Council, not the Headmaster will be guided, by any significant trends.
As an Old Boy of the school, I was pleased that the school Council, has taken it upon itself to consider our views. I don't think other GPS or CAS schools would be that democratic.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
JOEYS RUGBY- Democracy.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
From the CAS thread...

Waverley beat Shore 26-7 in a pre-season match at Northbridge today (Thursday). Quite a surprise. Waverley usually hammer Shore over there. Shore looked pretty sharp. They've been in a slump for a long time.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
From the CAS thread...

Waverley beat Shore 26-7 in a pre-season match at Northbridge today (Thursday). Quite a surprise. Waverley usually hammer Shore over there. Shore looked pretty sharp. They've been in a slump for a long time.
Posted it backwards. Should read Shore beat Waverley

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Yep confirmed.
SHORE beat WAVERLEY
Great News for Shore
I have suspected that Shore would be a more formable force, in schoolboy Rugby this year. As this Shore year group have been a competitive force since the 13s. In the 15As and the 16As they were the only school to beat the very strong Newington cadre of players. So it could amount to a much closer GPS season for all those involve.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Great News for Shore
I have suspected that Shore would be a more formable force, in schoolboy Rugby this year. As this Shore year group have been a competitive force since the 13s. In the 15As and the 16As they were the only school to beat the very strong Newington cadre of players. So it could amount to a much closer GPS season for all those involve.
agreed re Shore. Good to see Jyka's boys back playing some serious rugby again.

Joeys didn't play Shore last year due to the covid cancellation, but did play Newington in the only comp round. Newington's 16As beat Joeys 21-12 and their 15As beat Joeys 12-10, both close games. If Shore won against those boys then they look likely to be a force this year.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
As a current year 12 boy at Newington, i can assure you that this will be Newington's best shot at winning the GPS since 2k15 due to roughly 3/4 of this year's 1st xv playing for the firsts last year, and give or take 1/3 of the boys playing In 2020. The backs will definitely be Newingtons strong point as well for this year's GPS. However, after watching Joeys vs Marist it is clear that they will be one of Newington's biggest competitors (very similar to 2019)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
As a current year 12 boy at Newington, i can assure you that this will be Newington's best shot at winning the GPS since 2k15 due to roughly 3/4 of this year's 1st xv playing for the firsts last year, and give or take 1/3 of the boys playing In 2020. The backs will definitely be Newingtons strong point as well for this year's GPS. However, after watching Joeys vs Marist it is clear that they will be one of Newington's biggest competitors (very similar to 2019)
Hello Dusk
Great to hear from from Year 12 Student at Newington. As an Old Boy and even as a Teacher, who briefly taught at the School. I can assure you the Money your parents spend on your education at Newington, is worth every cent. This may not be apparent to you at the moment, but it will be as you get older.

Could I ask a favour of you, when the Rugby starts could you please, supply the Newington results online to this forum. Even if its only the A teams. I realise you are busy with the HSC, so any efforts would be deeply appreciated from this Newington Old Boy.

I hope your final year at Newington is rewarding one, both Academically and in Sport. If I have any advice, for you dusk, is take full advantage of every thing on offer at Newington. Regret can be an uncomfortable thought, as I Iook back on my school days. So enjoy and value your friend ships at Newington, you find they could be life lasting. I know a friend of mine married my Sister.

So Dusk keep safe, work hard on your HSC and enjoy the last of your School days. They will be memories you will value for the rest of your life. For instant in my last year we managed to beat Joeys in a match that was our last game played as Newington Boys. And years later, when ever we meet at Old Boys Meetings, We will always speak of that afternoon, that as a 6th XV, we managed to beat a Joeys 6th XV, at Hunters Hill.

So your School Days, will be soon gone , so create your memories now. Finally,Don't be surprised that the standards and values, given to you by Newington, will influence your outlook for the rest of your Life. They did for me.

Regards and Best Wishes
Black and White

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dusk, nice to see such a polite and well-balanced post from a schoolboy, especially about a school he attends. We've had a lot (occasionally an avalanche) of schoolboy posters here over the years who've posted absolute drivel, your post is a refreshing change.

Good luck at Newington, keep us old timers informed about the rugby at Stanmore.

B&W, I NEVER lost to Newington. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.