• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
good to see the View Yr12 lad's contribution, but perhaps a few facts are in order.
There was only one comp game in 2021, and the table after this single round was:
Rank
Team
Against
1​
Joeys​
2​
38​
13​
2​
View​
2​
36​
12​
3​
Scots​
2​
21​
15​
4​
Kings​
0​
15​
21​
5​
Shore​
0​
12​
36​
6​
Newington​
0​
13​
38​

So naturally Joeys should be declared premiers for 2021 :cool:
Riverview easily accounted for Joeys last year, going up 30-0 within 20 minutes without the 2 best players in the GPS comp in that Riverview side.

Had the GPS season not been cancelled, Riverview would have easily beat joeys by 20-30 points, with Jack Bowen and Henry O'donnell obviously, and they would have comfortably beat every other GPS schools like they did in trials.

No school in NSW or perhaps in Australia would have beaten a healthy 2021 Riverview team, although Waverley did look dangerous but again, they only beat Newington by a few points.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi View2k22prems

Trial form is not a great indication of the outcome of the premiership however can give supporters some hope. Being a View supporter, you are confidant of View's chances this year. What proof can you provide, apart from the one GPS 2021 game, that View will be a force this year ? Can you list a team ? What are their strangths/weaknesses ? Who is returning ? Big claim about the 2021 View team. It's 2022, and 1sts View team lost opening trial to Knox, who are ok this year but not great.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hi View2k22prems

Trial form is not a great indication of the outcome of the premiership however can give supporters some hope. Being a View supporter, you are confidant of View's chances this year. What proof can you provide, apart from the one GPS 2021 game, that View will be a force this year ? Can you list a team ? What are their strangths/weaknesses ? Who is returning ? Big claim about the 2021 View team. It's 2022, and 1sts View team lost opening trial to Knox, who are ok this year but not great.

Wyvernboy
Hey WB, watch out for these year 12 children from View. It seems to be a rite of passage that they lob in here, stir up the old guard with their blah, blah blah. It is comforting to know that God is Marist and likes to put wolves in their place with a small miracle from time to time....let us all enjoy 2018 season finish shall we....

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Joker

God was a Marist in 2018, but in 2015, God was a Methodist. View up 38-37 rd 10 with 3 mins to go. Watch on youtube ( post if you can ) and witness the ball control of the Newington boys. 42-38 and GPS Champions with pitch invasion. Good Day at Stanmore.
Who will have God on their side this year ?

Wyvernboy

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi Joker

God was a Marist in 2018, but in 2015, God was a Methodist. View up 38-37 rd 10 with 3 mins to go. Watch on youtube ( post if you can ) and witness the ball control of the Newington boys. 42-38 and GPS Champions with pitch invasion. Good Day at Stanmore.

Wyvernboy
Hello WyvernBoy

Lets hope his a Methodist this year. There has been a lot of banter, that Newington has experienced a significant withdrawal, of its top players from the expected 1st XV team for this year. If you have any insights they would be much appreciated
Also, well done on your commentaries about Newington and the GPS. I find myself this year somewhat detached from events. So i eagerly look forward to yours commentaries. Together, with Dusk and hasten he proven himself as acquisition to Green & Gold. In fact I would say that the commentaries from New Supporters are really caring Green & Gold as a site these days.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Black and White

Let's hope so !! I don't know specifically who has withdrawn from the 1st,2nd squads, however some boys have been left disappointed about last years selections etc and have resigned themselves to play in lower grades thus an influx of yr11 boys. Couple of thoughts :

1) Boys need to accept that there are better options and they will not all play 1/2's ( therefore not leave the program )
2) The coaches need to communicate and explain their decisions openly and honestly giving feedback as to selections etc ( thus helping the boys understand the coaches decisions )
3) As mentioned, boys in yr12 have a huge workload ( study, other co-curricular activities ) therefore to be expected to train 5-6 sessions a week plus pretty much a whole Saturday ( and if they also participate in outside club commitments etc ) this can become too much for some boys and they opt out of the 1/2's commitments. Of course, the honour of playing in your school's 1/2's Rugby team is the ultimate reward, however not all share this thought.
4) Playing for "fun" and "with your mates" is also enjoyable and enticing for some yr12 boys.

I don't think there are a lot of "expected" 1st XV players that have opted not to play this year, ( Dusk can add here ) but any loss of players to Newington's rugby lessens the depth thus increases the need for the top players to remain on the pitch.

Wyvernboy

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Hi Black and White

Let's hope so !! I don't know specifically who has withdrawn from the 1st,2nd squads, however some boys have been left disappointed about last years selections etc and have resigned themselves to play in lower grades thus an influx of yr11 boys. Couple of thoughts :

1) Boys need to accept that there are better options and they will not all play 1/2's ( therefore not leave the program )
2) The coaches need to communicate and explain their decisions openly and honestly giving feedback as to selections etc ( thus helping the boys understand the coaches decisions )
3) As mentioned, boys in yr12 have a huge workload ( study, other co-curricular activities ) therefore to be expected to train 5-6 sessions a week plus pretty much a whole Saturday ( and if they also participate in outside club commitments etc ) this can become too much for some boys and they opt out of the 1/2's commitments. Of course, the honour of playing in your school's 1/2's Rugby team is the ultimate reward, however not all share this thought.
4) Playing for "fun" and "with your mates" is also enjoyable and enticing for some yr12 boys.

I don't think there are a lot of "expected" 1st XV players that have opted not to play this year, ( Dusk can add here ) but any loss of players to Newington's rugby lessens the depth thus increases the need for the top players to remain on the pitch.

Wyvernboy
I don't believe any of the 1st XV players from last year have opted not to play this year.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Riverview easily accounted for Joeys last year, going up 30-0 within 20 minutes without the 2 best players in the GPS comp in that Riverview side.

Had the GPS season not been cancelled, Riverview would have easily beat joeys by 20-30 points, with Jack Bowen and Henry O'donnell obviously, and they would have comfortably beat every other GPS schools like they did in trials.

No school in NSW or perhaps in Australia would have beaten a healthy 2021 Riverview team, although Waverley did look dangerous but again, they only beat Newington by a few points.
settle down View boy - Joeys gave View a 30 point start in that game before they decided to play some footy and pulled it back to 38-38. View scored at the bell, in the corner, making it 6 tries each for the narrow win based solely on goal difference. Well done to them. But Joeys were champing at the bit to give them their annual spanking in the comp game. No serious rugby pundit doubts that Joeys would have won that game, at HH, and won it easily.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is there going to be a poll put up so we can give opinions/predictions about who's going to win the shield? I know this was done pre-covid but I'm not sure if it's been done for a while. Would be good to bring it back, always delivers interesting results.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi Black and White

Wyvernboy
Hello Wyvern Boy

Many thanks, for your prompt commentary. One commentator gave the impression that the dropout rate was chronic in the 1&2s. If boys are playing lowers grades because of academic commitments, I don't think we need to consider that, as a withdrawal from the Rugby Program. But a sensible decision to manage both sport and the academics Yes, there always be a "Dummy Spit" element, but as you say some boys , together with the coaches, need to sit down and just have talk. Sometimes a few kind words can do wonders for boys of this age. We must remember that some boys from 1&2s will get injured and need to be replaced. This is the opportunity these boys can provide for New Rugby.

Last edited:

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't believe any of the 1st XV players from last year have opted not to play this year.
Many thanks dusk,

I hope your HSC studies are going well. Having done both Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies, I found that the HSC was the most difficult part of my academic life. So stay focused and the, rewards shall be yours. Its a pleasure to have you on this site. Hence, my concern that the HSC can disrupt a student's focus on sport.

I am just wondering your thoughts on an expanded Boarding House, that might cater for year 11&12 students. In so doing reduce travel time for year 12 students so they study without the annoyance of catching trains and buses, thereby, permitting them to study longer. It is something, I have recommended on the Demographics Survey, that Old boys were asked to do. An expanded Boarding House, seems to be popular amongst parents. For the reasons given, your views would be highly valued.

Regards
B&W

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi propsarespeedy

Yes, we should all put our money were our mouths are and predict the winners. I will publish my list after a few more trials.
At the moment ( with limited data ) :

Shore and Joeys joint favourites ( heart says Shore )
Newington ( work in progress )
Scots
Kings and View ( don't know a lot about these two teams however mail says Kings will better than people think. )

As mentioned, 1st round 18th June could decide the premiership.

Wyvernboy

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
News from Joeys has been that the Tamworth Rugby camp went very well. They took three teams up north and they have come back very excited as the teams look settled. The 1st XV in particular look very sharp with a back-line that will go very well this season. They have also unearthed two rampaging rhinos for the front row again and look as strong as last years pack. No results on any trial games against local talent.

Expected 1st XV team list closer to the weekend when I know more.
Are there many returning players from 2021? Would be interested to see as Riverview has almost a completely new look.

BP.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Let's hope God chooses to be an intellectual and a scholar this year and decides that he will favour the Jesuits. The Society of Jesus will have their say when the round games start and push comes to shove.

BP.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi propsarespeedy

Yes, we should all put our money were our mouths are and predict the winners. I will publish my list after a few more trials.
At the moment ( with limited data ) :

Shore and Joeys joint favourites ( heart says Shore )
Newington ( work in progress )
Scots
Kings and View ( don't know a lot about these two teams however mail says Kings will better than people think. )

As mentioned, 1st round 18th June could decide the premiership.

Wyvernboy
Do joeys have a lot of returning players/players coming in from year 10? Didn't know much about them but assume they're quite good. As a scots supporter (If it's not obvious) I would love for them to win and think they certainly can, but if it's not them I would predict a Shore win due to how they haven't won since 2006, have the talent to win it and will certainly be going hard for the shield.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Way to early to call for a winner. The trials start this weekend for all schools and these games are usually used to test and consolidate combinations. Joeys will be looking for a solid 1st XV. Only a few years ago they tried 36 players for the team (due to injuries and knee jerk reactions) and these changes continued during the season. While many people are not a fan of "pick and stick", the benefits though do allow a team to gel and for combinations to find their feet. Only if a player in lower grades does something "consistently" amazing then bring them up. In the meantime allow players to develop. Nothing builds confidence more than certainty. If you live in fear of being dropped then your play will suffer.

BTW.....WB and B&W, what are your thoughts on the Newington "Silverback" XV. In 2021 the Newington silver back team supposedly had players good enough for the 3rd XV. How is this possible? They played a Joeys 7th's and narrowly lost in their only comp match. It was a game full of niggle and cheap shots.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
If you live in fear of being dropped then your play will suffer.
Diamonds are made under pressure, Joker. I think we will only need to look at the 2016 Riverview @ Kings to see this. Ollie Clark nailed a sideline conversion with no time left on the clock to keep Riverview in the hunt for a premiership. Clark was not a lock in for the 1st XV and in fact started the season in the 2nd's, my memory is a little fuzzy but I think this might have been one of his first games in the top grade.

Perhaps I am insinuating that the kick may have drifted across the face of the uprights had he have been on a "pick and stick," only the Jesuit loving God know's.

BP.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Way to early to call for a winner. The trials start this weekend for all schools and these games are usually used to test and consolidate combinations. Joeys will be looking for a solid 1st XV. Only a few years ago they tried 36 players for the team (due to injuries and knee jerk reactions) and these changes continued during the season. While many people are not a fan of "pick and stick", the benefits though do allow a team to gel and for combinations to find their feet. Only if a player in lower grades does something "consistently" amazing then bring them up. In the meantime allow players to develop. Nothing builds confidence more than certainty. If you live in fear of being dropped then your play will suffer.

BTW.....WB and B&W, what are your thoughts on the Newington "Silverback" XV. In 2021 the Newington silver back team supposedly had players good enough for the 3rd XV. How is this possible? They played a Joeys 7th's and narrowly lost in their only comp match. It was a game full of niggle and cheap shots.
Hello Joker

Regret to say, since I am somewhat touch with some aspects of Newington Rugby at present. But I do know that in 2020, most of the then 16As, were taken out of their age division and finished playing in the open division. Yet, their replacements from within that division comprising players from the previous years 15Bs and 15Cs "stepped up" when in the 16s age group. the New 16As of 2020, only lost one game and that was to Shore. I think the score was about 33-28 to Shore.

I don't know how many of those players were year 10 boys in 2020, but if we are optimistic say 7-10 boys 2nds and 3rds could at Newington could have some talent. Although both these teams were beaten by Scots, it is still early days. with the likelyhood that that both New teams are coming together. Certainly in the season, when New plays Scots, Scots in preseason tend to be more successful. Usually, with better Match fitness. So it might be some seeks before we haw these teams may fare. This was why I was enquiring about players lost. As one commentator believed New had lost about 30 players from our opens. Additionally, I believe it was WB, who said that a number of Pacific Islander Boys, have arrived at the College. Depending on Numbers and their skill levels, fitness, pace and size. They could indeed make an impact as well.

So sorry Joker, if I have not been as a precise as you like. But I do expect that these Newington Teams will take some time to come together.

Another matter, that is worth mentioning, don't expect Newington to go and beat St.Augustines this Saturday, by 82-0. Firstly, I believe the S.Augustine Boys will adapt quickly to playing, GPS standard Rugby and such a loss will serve as a benchmark, for them to lift to higher standards of Rugby.

Expect a much closer game this Saturday.

Regards B&W

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Joker

Agree. Too early to pick winners and if you are afforded the luxury ( ie; health etc ) to pick and stick with your selections, then allow the team to gel and gain confidence.

As you know, unfortunately ( and I don't agree with it ) Newington's 3rds are not in the GPS Comp. This means that New's 3-6 teams are loosely graded to accomadate skill level and playing with mates. The last couple of years, there were some boys, as mentioned previously, that had the s...s and wanted to play socially. This year, after watching the lower grades, most boys who "deserve" or are trying out for 1 and 2's are in the squad. The Silverbacks team on paper are a 6th grade team this year and that is no disrespect to the players. It is what it is !

Wyvernboy

Absque Deo Nihil

Frank Row (1)
Hello everyone, I've recently found out about this forum after watching a couple of schoolboy rugby highlights which sparked my interest in the GPS competition, which I used to be a part of.
But first, a little bit about myself:

I graduated TAS (The Armidale School) in 2011 and played Rugby and Cricket, but let's focus on Rugby for the moment.
I know its only Trials at the moment, but TAS 1st XV has won against Kinross Wolaroi for the first time in 15 years. Final score (12-5).
Here's my source:
https://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/...oken-for-the-armidale-school-against-kinross/

Houn Barret is doing a terrific job at coaching these boys. I firmly believe that TAS actually has potential at winning the 3rd XV AAGPS Comp this year. Some tough competition from Joey's and Scot's will definitively be a challenge for the TAS side.
I don't want to write too much since this is my first post, but I'll definitely keep updating in the future.

Cheers,

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.