• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi all attended the Back to Newington day today to see what the hype was about. Definitely not what I has anticipated from what was said on here, but still a great day overall. I for some reason wasn’t aware of the little depth Newington had, with there 5ths coming against Riverview’s 9ths and there 4ths vs riverview 7ths and their 3rds vs riverview 4ths. Which were all very close games. Does anyone know how many boys a year there is at Newington?
GCG
I have been told, that the Newington 14As beat View about 31-22 or 31-26. A great effort from these boys who suffered a 63-0 lost Scots in their first GPS match. Loss to Joeys 0-17, they recovered went on to beat Kings 38-30, Shore and 62-17 and now view 31-26.
@Joker
13A’s
View with the Win. Wasn’t watching close enough while chatting too much. (Newingtons a fault for a great day)
13Bs 24 all draw

Undefeated season for the View 13Bs. Well done boys.
Hello Ghost of Raelene

By any chance do you have the 13As results of New v View.

Many Thanks if you can

Sorry,Didn't notice the comment that view won. In so doing they beat a strong New side. Only their second loss after Joeys.

Last edited:

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Revised tipping table.

I made a major error last night (too many after game drinks at Jacks Bar) and hence certain people were shortchanged.
There are now two winners only.
One of them pulled a major fluke out his butt to leap frog to the top.

Thank you all who played this season. It was the very first time this has been attempted and I cam sure there are ways to do it better. In the meantime though it did provide everyone with an opportunity to display their tipping prowess.

In 2023 I will ask again if we want to do this. If the answer is "yes" I will announce earlier so the competition can have more participants. By the end we could have had another 30 people playing if they had joined earlier.

View attachment 14514
Looks like i've followed Scots First IV and got the wooden spoon only saved by Rugby League...... with a name like that it might be Brain Smith Himself !!!!!

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
It seems like you have depicted the day of the previous scots director of rowing Michael Probert, who was such an awesome dude, and always promoted such a friendly environment and program. I think it best you should perhaps not comment on the future of coaches considering you yourself have 0 experience coaching at the level Brian Smith does and had you been in charge of the team I believe the outcome would have been something along the lines of the Wallabies v Argentina game.
Although I didn't Probert personally, he did not at all promote a positive rowing program, Ive heard he was a good coach but almost all the Rowing boys say that he totally overworked them and caused lots of injuries/departures from Rowing. Lots of talented juniors left Scots rowing early because of clear overuse injuries caused by his program. I think he's definitely better suited to coach professionals who can handle the workload of his program/know how to handle rehab better.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Look it isn’t pleasant to say, but Scot’s rugby culture from what it seems has been completely gutted. In our day, we wouldn’t have had to of shortened the sideline to attempt to beat joeys. Selection and recruitment process seriously needs to be reviewed, a good rugby program like those of 2013-2014 are built from the ground up. The flow on effect is dominant Scot’s teams from 2015-17 comprised of home grown talent and lads who grew up watching 2013-2014 dominance in the early years. As I said before, this current crop of year 12s won 16s undefeated I believe. They are now bottom of the table. Did players leave? Or did they have older players playing down a year?
To be honest I don't think it's the whole schools culture, most a's team produced great results apart from the Glengarry affected 15s. 14A's especially went very well and 16A's would've easily topped the table if they had the 5 year 10 opens players playing with them. 14B's and 16B's also both went undefeated but I don't know much about 13B's and 15B's isn't a B team due to glengarry. The 2nds result was great but the Firsts and Thirds results were the only real problems this year. There is a promising future for Scots though with the strong 2023, 2024 and 2025 graduates coming into the next few opens seasons

RuckitRory

Stan Wickham (3)
I have one simple question. Why are GPS teams only picked after 1 competition round rather than at the end of the season when boys have had a chance to show what they are truly made of? If this was the case, we certainly would have seen more Shore boys in the GPS1 squad this year. Mind you, there was not a single one. Although the Shore 1st XV coach was one of the 2 coaches of that team, there should have definitely been at least a few. The Shore 10 was not even picked in any representative side and he has been far and away the best five-eighth in the competition in Term 3. These boys need some more recognition.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Look it isn’t pleasant to say, but Scot’s rugby culture from what it seems has been completely gutted. In our day, we wouldn’t have had to of shortened the sideline to attempt to beat joeys. Selection and recruitment process seriously needs to be reviewed, a good rugby program like those of 2013-2014 are built from the ground up. The flow on effect is dominant Scot’s teams from 2015-17 comprised of home grown talent and lads who grew up watching 2013-2014 dominance in the early years. As I said before, this current crop of year 12s won 16s undefeated I believe. They are now bottom of the table. Did players leave? Or did they have older players playing down a year?
What you a missing downtheline is that Marcus Blackburn was a Director of Rugby not just a coach of the First IV. Mr Blackburn was always at at under 13 games, the under 15 games every Saturday chatting to the boys before the game, at half time and after the match could be the 13e's or the 14as. The boys admired and respected him and he promoted a brand of Rugby that was something that the ARU could have brought all the NSW / AUS players to watch, run run and run no kicking, positive rugby right from the First IV to the 13es no difference. Now before everyone goes at me about his cattle, we all know Brian Smith has the same or more of those cattle, his results are plain for all to see, post the Blackburn generation (he left in 2014 but his program legacy ended in 2017/18) I've had two boys at Scots for the past 11 years both playing Rugby.

I can tell you one very simple and telling fact that since 2014 I have NEVER seen Brian Smith on ANY other oval than the main oval and never before 1pm, there is your first and fundamental problem, Secondly, I have never seen an opens player at a junior game since Smith took over (save one staged instagram post this year of a boy in the First IV that joined the school in year 9 from the Northern Beaches)
Scots have adopted a kicking game that has been ineffectual since Smith started yesterday the Scots boys kicked and was taken by Shores fullback and winger on the full more than 20 times its been happening every year under Smith and it never changes, constant handling mistakes are made trying fancy moves and set pieces, when i was coaching the lower teams at the mighty Lindfield Rugby Club back in the day, i said to the boys ''no kicking no cut out passes till you can catch and pass once you learn to do that then maybe you can try some razzle dazzle, but not before''. It seems Smith will never learn.

I will end this post and sign off for 2022 with what i believe sums up Brian Smith's coaching attitude and as an old boy and parent of current boys it pains me greatly.

Scots have been trained / instructed to go to the oppositions hooker at line outs and essentially scream in his ear whilst the opposition prop is trying to convey the instructions for the throw in, its arrogant and extremely unsportsmanlike, i've never seen any team stoop to this level, let alone a GPS school where the game should be played hard but with respect and sportsmanship.

Congratulations again to Joeys and Shore, and to the Scots 2nd IV who are coached by a much admired and respected House Master are home grown and who wear the jersey they love with pride, the result of there season is a testament to the bond the boys and coach have. Brian Smith could only dream of a champion team like the 2s rather than his team of individual champions. See you all in 2023 gents.

Downtheline

Frank Row (1)
What you a missing downtheline is that Marcus Blackburn was a Director of Rugby not just a coach of the First IV. Mr Blackburn was always at at under 13 games, the under 15 games every Saturday chatting to the boys before the game, at half time and after the match could be the 13e's or the 14as. The boys admired and respected him and he promoted a brand of Rugby that was something that the ARU could have brought all the NSW / AUS players to watch, run run and run no kicking, positive rugby right from the First IV to the 13es no difference. Now before everyone goes at me about his cattle, we all know Brian Smith has the same or more of those cattle, his results are plain for all to see, post the Blackburn generation (he left in 2014 but his program legacy ended in 2017/18) I've had two boys at Scots for the past 11 years both playing Rugby.

I can tell you one very simple and telling fact that since 2014 I have NEVER seen Brian Smith on ANY other oval than the main oval and never before 1pm, there is your first and fundamental problem, Secondly, I have never seen an opens player at a junior game since Smith took over (save one staged instagram post this year of a boy in the First IV that joined the school in year 9 from the Northern Beaches)
Scots have adopted a kicking game that has been ineffectual since Smith started yesterday the Scots boys kicked and was taken by Shores fullback and winger on the full more than 20 times its been happening every year under Smith and it never changes, constant handling mistakes are made trying fancy moves and set pieces, when i was coaching the lower teams at the mighty Lindfield Rugby Club back in the day, i said to the boys ''no kicking no cut out passes till you can catch and pass once you learn to do that then maybe you can try some razzle dazzle, but not before''. It seems Smith will never learn.

I will end this post and sign off for 2022 with what i believe sums up Brian Smith's coaching attitude and as an old boy and parent of current boys it pains me greatly.

Scots have been trained / instructed to go to the oppositions hooker at line outs and essentially scream in his ear whilst the opposition prop is trying to convey the instructions for the throw in, its arrogant and extremely unsportsmanlike, i've never seen any team stoop to this level, let alone a GPS school where the game should be played hard but with respect and sportsmanship.

Congratulations again to Joeys and Shore, and to the Scots 2nd IV who are coached by a much admired and respected House Master are home grown and who wear the jersey they love with pride, the result of there season is a testament to the bond the boys and coach have. Brian Smith could only dream of a champion team like the 2s rather than his team of individual champions. See you all in 2023 gents.
Yeah mate look I completely agree. That’s a very fair assessment. I might just add that with one or two exceptions the forward pack lacked dynamism and x-factor. I don’t know if this is coached into them. There was also some substantial issues with ball handling I have to agree.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I have been told, that the Newington 14As beat View about 31-22 or 31-26. A great effort from these boys who suffered a 63-0 lost Scots in their first GPS match. Loss to Joeys 0-17, they recovered went on to beat Kings 38-30, Shore and 62-17 and now view 31-26.

Hello Ghost of Raelene

By any chance do you have the 13As results of New v View.

Many Thanks if you can

Sorry,Didn't notice the comment that view won. In so doing they beat a strong New side. Only their second loss after Joeys.
Gday B@W

Sorry no proper score was on another planet catching up with some people.

Great day put on by Newington

Whataflanker

Stan Wickham (3)
despite the large crowd, the whole day left a sour taste on one’s mouth .. Yes we too noticed that ONLY riverviews crest was on the field… this never happens at HH..

The insinuation that the move to leichhardt oval was due to “what the joeys old boys might do” was proven completely false and it was in the fact the homes team - view old boys - who were the problem . The ridiculous calls by the referee especially to stop the game just as the Joeys boys were catching fire (again due to the antics of view old boys ) failed to stop Joeys dominance in the second half .
Finally the horrible stadium collapse which ironically only injured joeys old boys, should be the nail in the coffin for a school to host a home game at a unsafe, untested field ever again!

Its amazing joeys Dominated the game as much as they did under these conditions!

Next week Joeys Hosts Kings . A game that rivals SJC vs View in terms of History and Old boy attendance .. Let’s see if there is the same amount of trouble at HH .. I highly double it!
Maybe obscured in this shot but where did they put the Kings crest on the field at Hunters Hill yesterday @Goosestep?

Attachments

• D8AD78AB-6A52-49A7-97FE-46F070E0E81A.jpeg
    D8AD78AB-6A52-49A7-97FE-46F070E0E81A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Looks like i've followed Scots First IV and got the wooden spoon only saved by Rugby League...... with a name like that it might be Brain Smith Himself !!!!!
No Rob. You were a late entry and hence you missed a couple of rounds.
I am sure you would have cleaned up just like Brian Smith does to his desk this week.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
What you a missing downtheline is that Marcus Blackburn was a Director of Rugby not just a coach of the First IV. Mr Blackburn was always at at under 13 games, the under 15 games every Saturday chatting to the boys before the game, at half time and after the match could be the 13e's or the 14as.

I can tell you one very simple and telling fact that since 2014 I have NEVER seen Brian Smith on ANY other oval than the main oval and never before 1pm, there is your first and fundamental problem, Secondly, I have never seen an opens player at a junior game since Smith took over

In fact he took the Under 9's at the Prep Rugby Camp and did a great job. We butted heads over philosophy BUT I never doubted his support. It would start at 8am at the 9D game at Christison. He would even bring some 1st XV lads along to watch and run water. He got it. Even though he would try to run over the top of the Prep program (I was MIC of Prep Rugby) I always admired his work ethic and his friendly nature.

One last thing. My eldest son was in Fiji with his grandparents in 2012. While there he ran into a Scots teacher and his family. My son said that this teacher very nice and said good things about me....and yes it Marcus. Class act.

ROB- Call me.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe obscured in this shot but where did they put the Kings crest on the field at Hunters Hill yesterday @Goosestep?

I think he may be referring to those TV games and special occasion matches.
On those occasions both crests were on the field.
In fact Kings did this in 1981 when the schools were celebrating their 150 and 100th.
One crest is fine, three is overkill.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
In fact Kings did this in 1981 when the schools were celebrating their 150 and 100th.
Kings vs newo couple years ago I think had it also.

Whataflanker

Stan Wickham (3)
All good but to be fair @Goosestep was pretty outraged that only Riverview‘s crest was on the field noting ‘this never happens at HH’ - perhaps like a number of other observations in the rant this actually wasn’t correct

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)

The standout numbers there are in the 2nd XV column for Joeys and Shore.

They're the only two schools to win more 2nd XV than 1st XV titles but those 2s numbers tell opposite stories.

Joeys' obvious strength in depth, with 2.5x more 2s titles than anyone else, underpins their 1st XV dominance. No mystery there.

By contrast Shore have badly underperformed at 1sts level relative to 2nds strength. Their 24x2nd XV titles is the real outlier in that table.

Any theories on why that might be or is there something obvious I'm not accounting for?

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
The standout numbers there are in the 2nd XV column for Joeys and Shore.

They're the only two schools to win more 2nd XV than 1st XV titles but those 2s numbers tell opposite stories.

Joeys' obvious strength in depth, with 2.5x more 2s titles than anyone else, underpins their 1st XV dominance. No mystery there.

By contrast Shore have badly underperformed at 1sts level relative to 2nds strength. Their 24x2nd XV titles is the real outlier in that table.

Any theories on why that might be or is there something obvious I'm not accounting for?
This has happened in other sports like basketball, cricket and soccer. Schools will stack their 2nds teams if they are not much of a hope at winning the 1sts.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Revised tipping table.

I made a major error last night (too many after game drinks at Jacks Bar) and hence certain people were shortchanged.
There are now two winners only.
One of them pulled a major fluke out his butt to leap frog to the top.

Thank you all who played this season. It was the very first time this has been attempted and I cam sure there are ways to do it better. In the meantime though it did provide everyone with an opportunity to display their tipping prowess.

In 2023 I will ask again if we want to do this. If the answer is "yes" I will announce earlier so the competition can have more participants. By the end we could have had another 30 people playing if they had joined earlier.

View attachment 14514
Thanks for organising Joker - I fell at the final hurdle after leading all season. I could have won, my head told me Joeys would win but I just couldn’t bring myself to transform that into an official, published tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.