• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi rod skillet,

By the sound of things, the boys from Hornsby had a field day at Hunters Hill.
Another interesting game will be between the boys from Stamore v Waverley.

P.s Well done to HFL for winning the perfect round.

Cheers
Love2scrum
It was not a field day but some uncharacteristic errors by Joeys helped Barker play a positive game. Did Newington play this weekend?

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
It was not a field day but some uncharacteristic errors by Joeys helped Barker play a positive game. Did Newington play this weekend?
No games today at Stanmore due to majority of school away on Cadets camp. Hopefully the boys enjoyed the camp and are all safe and healthy for next weeks game against Waverley.

Rob duncan

Frank Row (1)
Hi gents.
After watching Barker v Joeys yesterday, the boys from hunters hill were outplayed all around the park. In there defence, the 13 from Joeys was not playing. Whilst the 10 from Joeys was concussed in the first 20 minutes.Taking that into account I feel as though Joeys are still the favourites heading into the 2022 competition. Thoughts?

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was pretty comprehensive. Joeys backs had absolutely no answer to the Barker pressure. The Barker 13 had a day out. I have never seen anything like it at Hunters Hill, Though I would guess Kings during COVID would have been pretty similar.

All you could do is take your hat off and applaud them.

Joeys 1 was the best of joeys, but the backs were very very out of sorts. Lineout was an issue too.

Not Sure from that performance that this is a Joeys year. A Lot of work to be done if it is.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi gents.
After watching Barker v Joeys yesterday, the boys from hunters hill were outplayed all around the park. In there defence, the 13 from Joeys was not playing. Whilst the 10 from Joeys was concussed in the first 20 minutes.Taking that into account I feel as though Joeys are still the favourites heading into the 2022 competition. Thoughts?
It's still so early to call favourites or tip people to win but i believe by GPS round 1 we should have a good understanding about who the favourites are. I know Joeys 2023 cohort is very strong but I don't know much about their 2022 cohort but I assume it's strong.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi gents.
Man, Lots change needed to compete me thinks. Sorted reminded me of 87 against Scots except in that game Joeys lost their bottle and panicked. Here, they had no answer except to give it to a certain back who was very well contained. Both games they were relying on an individual to dig them out of the hole.

I did not see last week against Kings, But from what I understand it was fairly similar that way. It was a very complete perfroamnce by Barker. And they got thumped by Scotts who have a really big pack I was told by a Barker parent yesterday.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Junior scores:
13A's waverley win vs shore
13A's scots win vs stannies
13B's Scots win vs stannies (I believe)
14A's Scots 70 vs Stannies 7
14B's Scots 65-0 (approximately
14A's Waverley 45 vs Shore 15
14B's waverley 17 vs Shore 12

Does anyone know who Joeys 14A's played?
I'm trying to find out Kings vs View results.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Man, Lots change needed to compete me thinks. Sorted reminded me of 87 against Scots except in that game Joeys lost their bottle and panicked. Here, they had no answer except to give it to a certain back who was very well contained. Both games they were relying on an individual to dig them out of the hole.

I did not see last week against Kings, But from what I understand it was fairly similar that way. It was a very complete perfroamnce by Barker. And they got thumped by Scotts who have a really big pack I was told by a Barker parent yesterday.
Yes the scots pack is very big this year with their biggest being Ollie Mccrea who is around 6'5 and 120-125 Kg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys 2nd XV 33 St Augustine's 1st XV 10
Joeys 16A 12 St Augustine's 16A 14
Joeys 15A 29 Augustine's 15A 5
Joeys 14A 33 Augustine's 14A 10
Joeys 13A 40 Augustine's 13A 5

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Trials are what Joeys enjoy most. The old adage, "you learn more from a loss than you do a win" holds true at Joeys. In fact, the game yesterday would have revealed plenty to the coaches for the season ahead. They have time on their side and history shows Joeys bounce back from losses in trials to enjoy success.

In 2018, Joeys lost to TRINITY (19/05/2018) in a trial and went on to win the premiership (shared with Kings)
In 2019, Joeys lost a trial game to KNOX (11/5/2019) and went on to win the championship (part of the very rare golden triple crown)

NOTE. These losses came in the early trials of the season and led to changes in the team.

So while Barker were indeed the better team yesterday, it was just a snap shot of the day and not the true indication of the season ahead. Who is favorite to win? The final trial round will give us an answer, NOT the second.

Last edited:

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trials are what Joeys enjoy most. The old adage, "you learn more from a loss than you do a win" holds true at Joeys. In fact, the game yesterday would have revealed plenty to the coaches for the season ahead. They have time on their side and history shows Joeys bounce back from losses in trials to enjoy success.

In 2018, Joeys lost to TRINITY (19/05/2018) in a trial and went on to win the premiership (shared with Kings)
In 2019, Joeys lost a trial game to KNOX (11/5/2019) and went on to win the championship (part of the very rare golden triple crown)

NOTE. These losses came in the early trials of the season and led to changes in the team.

So while Barker were indeed the better team yesterday, it was just a snap shot of the day and not the true indication of the season ahead. Who is favorite to win? The final trial round will give us an answer, NOT the second.
Cannot comment on those games as I was not there. Certainly, they will learn. It's not the result itself that drove the commentary, it was what was observed. Anyway time will tell. will see next week again. trial 4 against Knox. Presume 2nds will play St Pats 1's. I wish them well.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree, Joker – but still much to ponder over at Hunters Hill.

Make no mistake, Barker were up for this game in a big way. Defensive aggression, taking penalty goals on offer (in a ‘trial’!), the off the ball niggle, the coach yelling at the ref for 70mins, and the wild celebrations at full time – it was obviously a big day marked on their calendar. They were more than worthy of the 4 tries to 2 win.

Joeys by comparison were flat, slow to react, and off the pace. We know Joeys don’t buy into the whole ‘psyche up’ stuff before games, but you expect composure, low tackling, and execution in attack as the trade off, but yesterday really was a poor day out in those areas. Joeys had the dominant scrum and the props and No. 8 carry very well. The 2nd row-backrow combination is still a work in progress but a bit light and imbalanced given there is no traditional over-the-ball fetcher among them.

In the backs, they had their preferred back three combination together, but due to injuries no two of the 10-12-13 combinations have stayed together for a full game yet. It meant they were too lateral and the final pass resulted in errors. It will definitely improve in the next few weeks, although the 10 getting concussed in his first game back will be a set back.

Very interesting GPS comp ahead. Joeys, Kings and Shore all play ‘two-pod’ rugby and like to commit fewer to the breakdown in preparation for the next pod. View, Scots and New play more ‘one-pod’ rugby off the 9 with power runners coming one-off. Kings and Scots have good depth outside the 1st XV, less so the other teams. Either way, any team good enough in the simple basics of set piece, tackle accuracy, low handling error rates, and good discipline without the ball will be good enough to beat any other side this year – and that is where Scots are maybe ahead of others at the moment - not in brilliance, but the core basics.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
It was pretty comprehensive. Joeys backs had absolutely no answer to the Barker pressure. The Barker 13 had a day out. I have never seen anything like it at Hunters Hill, Though I would guess Kings during COVID would have been pretty similar.

All you could do is take your hat off and applaud them.

Joeys 1 was the best of joeys, but the backs were very very out of sorts. Lineout was an issue too.

Not Sure from that performance that this is a Joeys year. A Lot of work to be done if it is.
Joeys were off the pace, unfortunately they were contending with wide spread flu through the squad and a few other injuries. Barker were too good, particularly the 10 and 13. Joeys lacked cohesion in the back line, that will come in time, (the 10 and 13 were both missing) The joeys scrum was dominant at set piece over the much bigger Barker forwards. I really think Barker should be pleased with the win but disappointed with some aspects of the way they carried themselves. I think Joeys will be quietly pleased, they were out on their feet crook, missing several key players and still were in it for large portions of the game. Ultimately Joeys will learn a lot more from the game than Barker.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Junior scores:
13A's waverley win vs shore
13A's scots win vs stannies
13B's Scots win vs stannies (I believe)
14A's Scots 70 vs Stannies 7
14B's Scots 65-0 (approximately
14A's Waverley 45 vs Shore 15
14B's waverley 17 vs Shore 12

Does anyone know who Joeys 14A's played?
I'm trying to find out Kings vs View results.
Joeys 14A 33 St Augustines 10
Joeys 14B 5 St Augustines 0

I think that was the only games in the U14's they won. St Augustines had good teams. like hornets all over the place. Very enthusiastic. Good boys.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

I think that was the only games in the U14's they won. St Augustines had good teams. like hornets all over the place. Very enthusiastic. Good boys.
Not sure but other games in that age group required Joeys to play up, fora example the 14c’s played Greg’s A’s and the D’s played Auggies C’s.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)

Joeys 14C 5 St Gregory's 14A 10
Joeys 14D 7 Augustine's 14C 26
Joeys 14E 7 Augustine's 14D 40
Joeys 14F 0 Augustine's 14E 74

BTW....Match of the round. Joeys 13th 33 beat Shore 8th 32 at the bell.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Originally posted on the Newington Rugby facebook page.

(With the added workload I hope injuries don't play a part in Newington's 1st XV chances this season)....

Congratulations to 10 of our boys selected for the final trial! (Combined Independent Schools Under 18 R L).

Also congratulations to Siteni Taukamo for his selection in the NSW U18s City team!

View attachment 13463
Hi All,

I’m not to familiar with the CIS Rugby League pathways therefore my question. Will any of these boys be eligible for the GPS representative teams???

Cheers
Love2scrum

Status
Not open for further replies.