• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Its going to be an interesting comp for GPS this year. Joeys beat Kings, Scots beat Barker, Newington drew Scots, Barker beat Joeys, Kings beat Scots. Shore hot n cold. No favourites emerging there. Every team can win on the day.

TheMedow

Banned
Its going to be an interesting comp for GPS this year. Joeys beat Kings, Scots beat Barker, Newington drew Scots, Barker beat Joeys, Kings beat Scots. Shore hot n cold. No favourites emerging there. Every team can win on the day.
Agreed! I think we are going to have one of the closest GPS seasons we have had in a while, can’t wait for the comp games!

TheSwindleKicker

Frank Nicholson (4)
Also Riverview beat Waverley and Waverley beat Shore, not sure how the View boys will go against Shore though

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tips are in.
One perfect round. Numbers in the second column is progress score.
How did you go?

TIPS- Week 2.jpg

B&W

Frank Row (1)
Shore convincing win over oakhill in 1st, 2nds, 3rds and 4ths. The new Shore 10 in the firsts came up after an injury and played and kicked well - making an argument to hold his place. The Shore 12 and 13 in both the firsts and seconds were outstanding - they were all over the park in both defense and attack. As reward the seconds 12 and 13 both earned some game time in the firsts when the match was in control and didn't look out of place. This depth in the seconds will come in handy at the end of the season.

As a front rower, the highlight to me was the Shore front row in the firsts - especially 1 and 2. Good to see fast and big men up front making making big hits, but also making metres in the pod structure. They were the clear crowd favourites. Some of the hits they took and gave silenced the crowd.

The backs look good (particulary Shore 12) but may not have the penetration of some of the other teams in the inside backs. The Shore 15 isn't a big man, but wow he plays a tough game executing some big tackles and showing zip zip speed in attack.

Why are Shore so hot and cold? Last week at Waverely about half the team were out with influenza (only 9 players trained during the week) combined with the usual one or two injuries. The Shore 12 is usually player of the match and was missing due to injury against Waverly, as was their number 1 in his third seasons in the firsts. Some of the Shore players took the field sick (and I think I saw one boy vomit on the field), but take nothing away from the Waverley outside backs - four of their tries were 90 metre jobs where they just beat the Shoremen with speed and ball skills. Also sure that Waverely had the same flu dramas as Shore and all the other schools. Waverley were clearly the better team in the firsts on the day. The seconds (24-22 to Waverley) could have gone the other way and would have if it wasn't for the worst refereeing decision I've seen for a while (penalty advantage in front of the posts twenty metres out, Shore missed the field goal and then the ref blew full time . . . apparently he 'forgot' he had his arm up for advantage when the field goal was on)

I think there'll be a few upsets over the nest week or two until influenza settles down across all the schools.

After the Scots vs Kings games today - i thinks it's pretty clear that the opening match of the GPS (Shore vs SJC at Northbridge) may decide the tournament.

In the firsts and seconds Shore beat Knox - but both were tough defensive games that could have gone either way, so on the form against Knox, Joeys will be favourites. However got a feeling that as the season grinds on and injuries accumulate, the depth of the Shore School this year on display in the seconds and thirds might be the difference . . . but only if they can beat SJC.

PS - the Shore meat pies are back . . . they sold out early as usual but the tandoori chicken pies were pretty special.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
hello to the forum, TM here,
First time poster and I’m all things shore!
Shore trialed a new 10 today and all I can say is WOW, skilled, fast and kicked 6/8 (most being from the sideline). Seriously impressed with the results shore has put up this year.
Any questions about Shore, hit me up! Go Shore
How did 16A's go?

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
33-7 view win against cranbrook
I strolled down to Riverview to watch this match in the heavy rain. Riverview #1 field is suffering terribly like most fields in Sydney with massive areas of mud. Still the home team deserved the win and persisted in the poor conditions. Not much backline play to speak of, as most tries were from close play near to the rucks. Cranbrook deserve credit for persevering throughout and got close on several occasions without capitalising. A real arm wrestle in the conditions for Riverview today but they will come away better for the win.
INP

tarzan

Bob McCowan (2)
hello to the forum, TM here,
First time poster and I’m all things shore!
Shore trialed a new 10 today and all I can say is WOW, skilled, fast and kicked 6/8 (most being from the sideline). Seriously impressed with the results shore has put up this year.
Any questions about Shore, hit me up! Go Shore
Hi TM, what was the 10s name?

tarzan

Bob McCowan (2)
Was at the Joeys v Knox game. Wow, I was impressed with the no.13. He was very dynamic, had the pace and strength to break tackles and put big shots on in defence too. I think he’s in for some rep footy this year alongside Jorgensen at no.15.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit of sportsmanship in the Joeys 3rds v Knox 2nds game. Very even tussle played in good spirit, with Knox leading 14-12 when Joeys were awarded a penalty 45m out and in front with time up on the clock. Joeys bizarrely opted for the kick at goal (not the done thing in trials). Kick was close but just wide and the ball bounced and went out over the dead ball line. All players thought that was it, game over, but the ref had his arm out for a penalty to Joeys for Knox knocking/throwing the ball into touch. 5m out right in front, the easiest kick in the world to win the game, but Joeys (I believe sensing the unfairness, or maybe thinking about what the coaches might say) opted for a scrum. Backs fluffed it and it was game over.
Great to see.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Was at the Joeys v Knox game. Wow, I was impressed with the no.13. He was very dynamic, had the pace and strength to break tackles and put big shots on in defence too. I think he’s in for some rep footy this year alongside Jorgensen at no.15.
yep, the Joeys 13 looked strong and sharp, and I was looking forward to seeing him up against the Knox 13 Archie Saunders, who is one of only two schoolboys in the Australian Junior Wallabies (U20) for 2022 (the other being Max Jorgensen).
But in the first play of the game Jorgensen made a run for the corner and Saunders lined him up for a big hit but mistimed it and took a heavy knock from Jorgensen's shoulder. Big cut above the eye and much blood and that was his game over. Not sure if that affected the outcome - the Joeys backs were on song.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
yep, the Joeys 13 looked strong and sharp, and I was looking forward to seeing him up against the Knox 13 Archie Saunders, who is one of only two schoolboys in the Australian Junior Wallabies (U20) for 2022 (the other being Max Jorgensen).
But in the first play of the game Jorgensen made a run for the corner and Saunders lined him up for a big hit but mistimed it and took a heavy knock from Jorgensen's shoulder. Big cut above the eye and much blood and that was his game over. Not sure if that affected the outcome - the Joeys backs were on song.
is there a video of the game?

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys certainly turned up very different from last week!

Excellent carries across the forwards. 13 and 15 found ridiculous amounts of open space, no doubt assisted by Knox losing their star 13 early on. Lineout pretty good today in the wet.

The experiment at 12 seemed to work well. The young 4 came off early in the second half with a leg injury, hopefully nothing serious as he seems a great find. Number 11 was something else down that left flank. Just bulldozed defenders out of his way.

Knox had some moments but their defence was poor and handling at times really let them down. After seeing Barker last week it’s hard to see Knox coming close but as with all results so far, you never know.

Joeys vs Scots next week. A lot of momentum coming into the first round based on this ‘trial’. Well done to the few who tipped Kings. Must be impossible for GPS selectors at the moment.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hello Rod

It's simply too unpredictable to pick a winner this season, as you say any side can win on the day. Simply, there should be no one favourite side. I believe this trend will continue into the GPS season. Unlike previous years, a strong Shore side has contributed to this unpredictability. So those who talk up a particular school, could well be proven wrong. Each match promises to be revelation, as to its outcome. But above all it ensures a balance competition, but also a strong GPS competition, based around 6 Highly competitive schools, Nor should we ignore the competitiveness, of the CAS Schools. Schoolboy Rugby will be better for this competitiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.