• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
pity they're playing the wrong game...

if the SOO last night is any guide, they're in for a professional football life described by Thomas Hobbes - "nasty, brutish and short".

If that was a proper rugby game, there would have been multiple red cards.
Continuing from the previous discussion, therein, lies the point, they are playing both games. We shouldn't write them off just because they also play league. We should see it as a positive that 4 of the best 15s league schoolboys in the country also play rugby. Now, which game will actively engage these boys and provide opportunities to position themselves as the best pathway option post-school? Hopefully, rugby maintains their interest and acitvely pursues them

Is that more an inditement of the ridiculous state of rugby's red card laws, or the brutality unchecked in Origin? What Rugby wouldn't give for the interest and eyeballs SOO generates.

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
no
Continuing from the previous discussion, therein, lies the point, they are playing both games. We shouldn't write them off just because they also play league. We should see it as a positive that 4 of the best 15s league schoolboys in the country also play rugby. Now, which game will actively engage these boys and provide opportunities to position themselves as the best pathway option post-school? Hopefully, rugby maintains their interest and acitvely pursues them

Is that more an inditement of the ridiculous state of rugby's red card laws, or the brutality unchecked in Origin? What Rugby wouldn't give for the interest and eyeballs SOO generates.
At some point, possibly a long time from now, league will be sued out of existence. They will have no legal defence for not doing a better job to protect players from head injuries given what we know now. Union is taking the right approach but the game needs to do more to refine the application of the approach. Safety first.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Is that more an inditement of the ridiculous state of rugby's red card laws, or the brutality unchecked in Origin?
what do you reckon? Rugby has a way to go to fine-tune the card process, still lots of inconsistency and over-interpretation, but at least they've recognised there's a problem. Unlike League - some of those incidents last night, if repeated on a public street, would result in criminal charges.

["indictment", btw]

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
no

At some point, possibly a long time from now, league will be sued out of existence. They will have no legal defence for not doing a better job to protect players from head injuries given what we know now. Union is taking the right approach but the game needs to do more to refine the application of the approach. Safety first.
Without wanting to take this thread completely away from topic, I think both codes are struggling with it. League went too far last year and was sending off players consistently with what seemed like over-the-top adjudicating. The dial now seems to be swinging back too far the other way. Rugby seems to be stuck in a similar space to where league was, it seems hard to find the line when you are talking about contact sports built around collisions. with the exception of the fight last night, the 3 concussions, which rightly meant the players were unable to return, were all defenders making tackles, and therefore wouldn't have resulted in red cards in either code.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Without wanting to take this thread completely away from topic, I think both codes are struggling with it. League went too far last year and was sending off players consistently with what seemed like over-the-top adjudicating. The dial now seems to be swinging back too far the other way. Rugby seems to be stuck in a similar space to where league was, it seems hard to find the line when you are talking about contact sports built around collisions. with the exception of the fight last night, the 3 concussions, which rightly meant the players were unable to return, were all defenders making tackles, and therefore wouldn't have resulted in red cards in either code.
I'm not sure I follow, the All Black Player red carded last week was the tackler and he was also concussed.

My solution (current thinking at least) - unless clearly and immediately obviously reckless, head contact should be deemed a yellow card and be referred to a review panel, if that panel finds the act to be deliberate (with the benefit of time to analyse the incident fully) then suspensions should be tougher. Perhaps a range from 1 week for accidental but careless to 6 weeks for deliberate and reckless. while we are on it, I have no issue with the 2 weeks Swain copped (he was pretty silly) however, I would be in favour of some proper punishment for the kind of grubby back play the poms have indulged in on this tour, they got off too lightly for the incidents involving Swain and White over the past few weeks, what example are they setting for impressionable school boy footballers?

Look at the photos, he is not picked for his size. If you watched the games his skill level is next level.
for a 13 year old, he is actually quite an imposing fella, my son played against him in the carnival at Redcliffe. For him to match it with 15 years olds in terms of his physical size he is far superior to the majority of 13 years old running around. So i'll refer back to my point and that point being he is a tremendous footballer, if he works hard and doesnt rely on his size he will go far.

for a 13 year old, he is actually quite an imposing fella, my son played against him in the carnival at Redcliffe. For him to match it with 15 years olds in terms of his physical size he is far superior to the majority of 13 years old running around. So i'll refer back to my point and that point being he is a tremendous footballer, if he works hard and doesnt rely on his size he will go far.
He is turning 14 this year but he is still an absolute gun and he is used to playing with older boys as he would always play in his brothers team.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Nice to see thoughts turn to round 2.
As always, fearless tipping is appreciated.

For those who are in the official tipping competition, I need winner and points spread.
If you win and are within the 5 point margin you receive 5 points.
Draws are worth 1.

You have until midnight on 22 July to get your tips in.

No tips? Then you are given the away team with a point spread of 12.

Here is next round. (team on the left is the home team)

TIPS- Week 8.jpg

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Nice to see thoughts turn to round 2.
As always, fearless tipping is appreciated.

For those who are in the official tipping competition, I need winner and points spread.
If you win and are within the 5 point margin you receive 5 points.
Draws are worth 1.

You have until midnight on 22 July to get your tips in.

No tips? Then you are given the away team with a point spread of 12.

Here is next round. (team on the left is the home team)

View attachment 14093
Does anyone know if Cummins will be back for Scots?

Cannot wait for the first round with a few mouthwatering clashes that could go both ways. Should be interesting to see how Scots bounce back after an unexpected loss.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi All

Round 2 Saturday 23rd July tips :

Joeys v Newington : New by 5.
2 undefeated sides. Joeys at home always tough and with a strong front row and explosive backs, will be a huge challenge for the black and whites. If New can get their set piece ok, then the backs will play well. Was impressed with New backline defence against Scots, but Joeys will be tougher and testn them out wide. Breakdown will be another challenge for New, but forward fitness seems to have improved outlasting Scots at the end.
New have the backline firepower, it's whether they can defend the Joeys backs. Could be a high scoring game with conversion/penalties deciding the outcome.

Kings v Shore : Shore by 3
This game could go either way. Both teams need to get on the winners list or their season could be over. Sad but true. Kings by reports were a little disappointing against a good View team yet Shore played ok against Joeys. Toss of the coin but think Shore might have a slight edge in the forwards.

View v Scots : View by 12
View will make it 2 wins. Scots won't bounce back after an expected loss. Their tries against New were all through the forwards with little backline cohesion. Cummins is back but View will handle him ok and run away with it at the end. Scots have some forward "passengers" who don't do the grunt work. This will leave them short at the end of the game.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Awesome work Joker this is great and allot of time has gone into developing this, job well done :)
A team effort from all.
These tables only exist because members here provide results for the games.
As well, the outstanding stats man who compiles these is one of the best in the business and he does this as a labour of love.
Overall, a big thank you to many. This is something we can all be proud of.

Simpsons - Comic Book Guy Computer.gif

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Hi All

Round 2 Saturday 23rd July tips :

Joeys v Newington : New by 5.
2 undefeated sides. Joeys at home always tough and with a strong front row and explosive backs, will be a huge challenge for the black and whites. If New can get their set piece ok, then the backs will play well. Was impressed with New backline defence against Scots, but Joeys will be tougher and testn them out wide. Breakdown will be another challenge for New, but forward fitness seems to have improved outlasting Scots at the end.
New have the backline firepower, it's whether they can defend the Joeys backs. Could be a high scoring game with conversion/penalties deciding the outcome.

Kings v Shore : Shore by 3
This game could go either way. Both teams need to get on the winners list or their season could be over. Sad but true. Kings by reports were a little disappointing against a good View team yet Shore played ok against Joeys. Toss of the coin but think Shore might have a slight edge in the forwards.

View v Scots : View by 12
View will make it 2 wins. Scots won't bounce back after an expected loss. Their tries against New were all through the forwards with little backline cohesion. Cummins is back but View will handle him ok and run away with it at the end. Scots have some forward "passengers" who don't do the grunt work. This will leave them short at the end of the game.

Wyvernboy
@Joker - I think we need you to put together one of your creative presentations outlining each schools likely holiday rugby camp preparation. Such intel will greatly assist with tips for round 2 after the 3 week layoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.