• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tips???? Get them in quickly

TIPS- Week 8.jpg

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
Hi all Joeys supporters

Come on boys !! Can't you see I'm fishing.

We keep hearing how Joeys boys are ALL respectful to the opposition, have good sportsmanship and it's the Joeys way. Even the Lord says "let there be Joeys " according to Joker as the sun shines out of their ............... !!!

What no 7 does against Shore by not handshaking and ackowledging his opposition is NOT respectful nor good sportsmanship. Does he get this attitude from his ex-Wallaby father ? Entitled ? Because he is in yr 11 has he not learnt to handshake or be respectful ? No doubt he is a good player, made some good hit ups, tackled well and dropped a few balls. Nothing extraordinary. He'll probably have a blinder on the weekend but I'll be watching to see if someone pulled him about it and he acknowledges the New players ? It's the Joeys way !!

Also, another son of an explayer who is Captain had a word to the ref and got a yellow card. We had a crack at the Scots 12 who received a card and got a 2 match suspension. And his absence may/did have an impact against New. Joeys 15 is a good player. Needs to be cool under pressure on Sat. Things may not go all Joeys way.

My fishing line is long and I'm hoping for a big one !!!

Wyvernboy
Don't worry Wyvernboy, Joker hasn't opened his eyes yet and can't see anything wrong with joeys.....

O

Old High Boy

He's the son of a well-known ex-Wallaby Old Boy publican who's inherited his Dad's aggression, but he's no angry ant. He's developing into a fine No7 (he's only in Yr11).

Not shaking hands before the match - thats not aggression, that is arrogance and disrespect to both the opposition and the game.

We are all custodians for the game we love, and we all need to respect it...

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi crazy schoolboy and Old High Boy

Agree.

He is a schoolboy and we all make bad judgement calls. Should know/taught better as he does play in the 1sts but whatever. Hope someone sees it and has a word in his ear. Wyvernboy will be watching. I like how it gets excused as "aggression " by some. ??? If anything, it should fire the opposition up more.
Sore something similar 2 years ago. Captain of a 1sts team, interesting a son of 2 Aust players, playing for a premiership ( another sport ) beaten and not handshaking the opposition AFTER the game. Straight into the dressing room and even brushing the opposition coach. Very poor form. Some boys just don't get it !!

Ace Ventura, Joker, Its Not Pink ........................................... crickets !!

Wyvernboy

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

Agree.

He is a schoolboy and we all make bad judgement calls. Should know/taught better as he does play in the 1sts but whatever. Hope someone sees it and has a word in his ear. Wyvernboy will be watching. I like how it gets excused as "aggression " by some. ??? If anything, it should fire the opposition up more.
Sore something similar 2 years ago. Captain of a 1sts team, interesting a son of 2 Aust players, playing for a premiership ( another sport ) beaten and not handshaking the opposition AFTER the game. Straight into the dressing room and even brushing the opposition coach. Very poor form. Some boys just don't get it !!

Ace Ventura, Joker, Its Not Pink ........................................... crickets !!

Wyvernboy
OK, I'll bite. I just re-watched the video as I had totally missed this when I was at the game, intriguing. It looks to me as though 7 is in a distracted state more so than trying to be aggressive. His body language is not really what I would describe as aggressive or assertive. Anyway, lets see what happens this weekend, I don't think his father or his coaches or headmaster would encourage this sort of behavior. As for the comparisons between the incident involving 15 and the Scots 12 several weeks earlier, there really is no contest. One involved a momentary expression of frustration with the refs call (punished correctly, quickly and with no warning). The other involved a direct and ongoing attack on the ref with several warnings and an ongoing escalating mind snap that finished sometime after the change room had been renovated.

O

Old High Boy

Sore something similar 2 years ago. Captain of a 1sts team, interesting a son of 2 Aust players, playing for a premiership ( another sport ) beaten and not handshaking the opposition AFTER the game. Straight into the dressing room and even brushing the opposition coach. Very poor form.

There is no excuse, or any reasonable explanation, for that behaviour - seems to me he has been poorly advised, and such petulant actions have gone unpunished over a long period of time...

Some boys just don't get it !!

As you have said wb, boys just don't get it

O

Old High Boy

The other involved a direct and ongoing attack on the ref with several warnings and an ongoing escalating mind snap that finished sometime after the change room had been renovated.

And I am seeing more and more of this crap behaviour on the rugby field from "sons of Wallabies"...

I could recount a story of a junior match I refereed recently, where a well-known wallabies son was - at times - petulant and argumentative on the rugby pitch; its just not on...

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)

Agree.

Wyvernboy
I will never condone poor sportsmanship and it should be called out. No matter who the player is or the school.

Unfortunately, the days when John Landy stopped his mile race to assist a fallen Ron Clarke are long forgotten and these days we see so much poor sportsmanship at the elite level, it sets a poor example for young players.

Shake hands when you lose. Don't dance around on the field when you win.

Respect your opponent. Show grace in losing and humility in victory.

INP

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we do see a lot of good sportsmanship still in sport. Especially around injuries and head knocks recently.

It is just always the case that we point out negative issues first. Same way people are happy to leave a negative review on a product or service over the smallest thing but it would take something extraordinary to leave a positive.

I hope this is just an in the moment thing from the lad and not a habitual thing. If these things pop up in games I want refs to just march them down the field for back chat. His team mates will quickly sort him out even before a coach has to.

Rae Rae

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I recall the days of the 1970's when Joeys used to allow other schools to sit in the grandstand next to the Joeys boys. As a young 1st form lad I had to sit across the aisle from other schools. It was fun mostly as the two schools would have cheering battles with one another, an atmosphere you rarely see anymore. I even made a friend one day from Shore from sitting across for him, a friendship that exists to this day.

I recall though with great sadness a pivotal incident in 1979.

This was the season Joeys lost most matches and Newington beat Joeys 18-9 at Hunters Hill. They were a exceptional team, but what happened in the grandstand was ugly. This was when I first saw what religious bigotry and hatred looked like. Till then I had never heard the terms of "filthy rock choppers, nun f#$kers, ring kissers, altar boy a##holes...." These, and many more, were being spewed in the direction of the young Joeys boys by the Newington boys who were gloating and goading us to respond. Gobs of spit were on my blazer, rubbish was thrown in our direction when they celebrated a score. It was not long after this game that Joeys decided to bring in seating for the other schools on the eastern touchline

It took me many years to get over the disgust I had towards Newington and it was only when two boys moved in a couple doors down did I get to know AND RESPECT the Newington lads.

These boys BOTH played in the Newington 1st XV, one a half back and the other an outside back. As there was no father on scene these lads would speak to me and seek some advice. The mother was very happy that I took an interest and we all got on very well. The boys would ask me about Joeys and players they knew. We learned a great deal about each others schools. I dispelled some rugby myths and they promised to not steal my hubcaps.

This respect came to the fore one night when a party was held to celebrate the eldest 18th (with no adult at home) and it turned nasty with party crashers arriving, fights in and outside the home and broken bottles in the streets. I went down to see what I could do and the police arrived soon to sort this out. I spoke up and assisted the officers with what happened and vouched for the boys who were there. Before the crashers it was all under control and not as loud as I thought it was going to be. After it was sorted, the Newington boys who were at the party were very impressive as they spent the next two hours cleaning the place with my supervsion. One did ask me, "Sir, are the Joeys old boy that XXXX talks about?' When I confirmed, he replied, "that so cool sir, you guys are all right." I loved their manners and I even cooked a BBQ breakfast as it was now dawn. The Newington lads were exceptional and I couldn't speak more highly of their manners towards me.

Wyvernboy, normally I never, ever reply to baiting, it has been a very long time. I am an easy target just like that small Joeys year 7 boy in the grandstand. I am responding now though.

What you are doing harms the good name of Newington by once again baiting us catholics. It stirs up emotions inside that were once long put to rest. Leave this be. Play the ball and not the man.

I don't know why a Joeys number 7 didn't shake hands. Neither do you. But I do know of a time when a Joeys boy stood by a Newington family and their school mates one night when all hell was breaking loose.

Be better than this.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Could someone at Stanmore please explain why Newington have "forfeited" the 16Bs, 14Bs and 13Bs to Joeys?

It sort of throws a spanner in the comp tables we are creating. Every other school plays Joeys in the A's and B's.
Why do the Newington 16B's, 14B's and 13B's play Joeys 16C, 14D and 13C XV's
Is there a reason? Please enlighten me.

O

Old High Boy

I don't know why a Joeys number 7 didn't shake hands. Neither do you. But I do know of a time when a Joeys boy stood by a Newington family and their school mates one night when all hell was breaking loose.

Be better than this.

here here J...

Status
Not open for further replies.