• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsoverball

Bob McCowan (2)
This sounded loud without a grandstand

We can all pick and choose examples. I feel my point has been lost - lets speak literally, we all know Joeys isn't completely outdoing Riverview - I have admitted they have an edge, but again, thats in this situations of 300 vs 1100.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
We can all pick and choose examples. I feel my point has been lost - lets speak literally, we all know Joeys isn't completely outdoing Riverview - I have admitted they have an edge, but again, thats in this situations of 300 vs 1100.
....and I have said HERE for the past 10 years that Riverview has some of the wildest and most incomprehensible cheers. While they do have a trumpet and a bloody annoying drum, they do "cheer" above their weight and that is to their credit to the year 12 leaders who marshal the troops. I am saddened that "Iggy the Moocher" was banned. It always made me laugh.

But

It has been a while since I have heard the Joeys boys really "angry". You will know it when you hear it. In the past season I have heard it only once and that was against Barker. To their credit they showed more passion in their grandstand and the sound was filled out by girls voices as well. That game the Joeys boys were humiliated to get "angry" and "fired up". This weekend there will 1023 boys in the stand ALL CHEERING. Normally at home games there are about 100-200 younger boys wandering around the grounds with their mates. Reason is is that there is no room in the grandstand. This weekend there will be the full cohort cheering for the first time in a very long time.

I would concede that over the past 30 years the Joeys cheering has been flat and taken for granted. This weekend is a chance to turn back the clock when Joeys cheering would thunder across the suburbs each weekend. I am glad it is our oldest foe that we are cheering against.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Can anyone give updates on Scott’s lineup for tomorrow in seconds, biggest game of the year deciding the premiership

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I hope old Matty from Riverview is allowed to put on his goal kicking masterclass at halftime again at Leichhardt.
He was in good form last week, just fell a bit short from the 22m line a couple of times.
I hadn’t seen him before but he seems like a legend and the only halftime entertainment I’ve seen in the GPS this year.
Matty is a good bloke.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
JOEYS RUGBY-#16.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ive got vague recollections of there being a push to relocate either a large portion or perhaps the entire school out to a campus near Liverpool. It was all open fields then - probably high density now.

We'd be going back about 20 years with this though. Perhaps @Joker recalls something along these lines?
It was Voyager Point (near Liverpool) and IIRC the move was mooted some 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Trinity though made attempts in the early 2000s towards establishing a campus in Sydney's southern suburbs. Such plans have been postponed indefinitely by the School. If these worked they would dominate the south. If this is where Scots are looking then they are very smart.
Trinity bought a site in Oatley in the mid-90s with a view to establishing a feeder/satellite school. Plans weren't approved due to local opposition, but, Trinity had accepted an increased number of junior entrants for the proposed new school. They then had to cram these new entrants in the two junior schools at Strathfield and Summer Hill. It caused quite a bit of discomfort for a few years; however, the standard of junior sport at Trinity during the late 90s improved considerably. I don't think my son won a game of cricket or rugby against Trinity juniors ever.

The site was eventually bought by the Dept of Education and is now Georges River College Oatley Senior Campus.

Last edited:

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Incredible to think that a home game for View is being played away from home.
View are going to have to try and find ways to get clean ball out to Cailoli & Perkins to be any chance. They’ll have an advantage with Cooper in line outs.
Jack Barrett for Joeys to continue his run of tries stretching back now about 5 games since the GPS 1’s. Most people don’t understand the value the kid brings to that team. Big captains knock last week with two tries in a tight contest. No surprise to me as an old prop how he won MOM for the NSW 1s. Never gets beaten in a scrum and his work around the field for a front rower is amazing giving he always plays the full game. Joeys uncovered an absolute gem there, probably there best prop at that level in 40 years.
Not much left to say about Max Jorgo at the back, electric runner and deceptively strong. They’ll be pleased to see him back.

Key matchup to watch will be the straight running Leahy v the game breaker Cailoli

Hard to say it but Joeys by 13
25 - 12
Barrett over 1st

ScrumHalf69420

Frank Row (1)
Honestly this whole “old boy” problem is just one massive overblown scapegoat issue … you’d never see joeys give up their home ground for such nonsense
I completely agree. Personally i believe that this is a step in the wrong direction for gps rugby. Everyone loves to see a school field which is packed full of people and the home team has the slight advantage with cheering etc.
As you stated, Joeys would never give up a home game, especially against view. anyway this is just my opinion.
Thanks
SH

Status
Not open for further replies.