• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Great game at Leichhardt. When Riverview plays to their capability, I don't even think Joeys supporters can deny them as the best team in the competition - we know this from the 20-7 scoreline in the first half.

bob, from an old lag who's watched a LOT of schoolboy rugby:

1. I've rarely been to a View/Joeys game where Riverview weren't leading at some stage, mostly early in the match.
2. I've never seen View beat Joeys.
3. If it wasn't for the break in play late in the second half (ostensibly for poor behaviour by SIC OBs on the Wayne Pearce Hill) when the View forwards were under the pump the score would've been ugly. The View pigs were on the point of breaking, the breather helped them considerably to gather their thoughts, and collective breaths, and allowed them to weather the storm somewhat. We saw what happened in the Seconds when the Joeys forwards got on top of the View pigs, the Firsts match was going the same way.
4. Joeys were physically fitter and mentally tougher. And rugbywise smarter adapting to the pedantic referee.
4. The final score flattered Riverview.

Last edited:

runningrugbyrules

Herbert Moran (7)
Did you read what I wrote? I said when they play to their capability they look the best in the GPS - the problem? They don't play to their capability. I clearly said "the final scoreboard is the only one that matters", and that while View show glimpses of playing "the best in the GPS", they are not consistent enough to make these "glimpses" last the whole game.

Also, not sure where you found 31 unanswered points; the final score was 35-20. I can help you find a link to the AAGPS website or Cluch if you like?
When all GPS teams play to their capability Joeys is still the best team in the competition, Joeys put on a 28-0 and they didn’t lift out of second gear. The Jorgensen boys were clearly playing injured below their normal standard. When all GPS teams play to their capability I don’t think view are even in the top 3 teams. To say Riverview are the best team when playing to their capability is showing extremes delusions of grandeur and poor rugby knowledge

Stevenhutchings

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi all.
How good was the game yesterday.
Croud was terrific.
Standouts For view
#11 #6 #13
Joeys Standouts
#15 #13 #10 #7
The joeys 15 was dominant again. I thought in the first half view did well to contain him however in the second half he made 2 to 3 crucial breaks that got his team on the front foot. Max is a very good young talent.

The Joeys 13 had another strong game. His dominant running style combined with his aggressive defence makes him a very dangerous player. Scoring a great try off the pass of the number 7.

The Joeys 10 was very good yesterday. In particular his Goalkicking was excellent kicking 5/5. Personally I don’t think Fowler gets enough credit for laying the platform for the likes of the #15 and #13 allowing them to get into space. Ronan a scary player
# Pat young is a talent. Recently signing with the Bulldogs Pat was everywhere yesterday in attack and defence also scoring a great try Before the stands collapsed another one gone to league..

Oldgoldminer

Stan Wickham (3)
Did you read what I wrote? I said when they play to their capability they look the best in the GPS - the problem? They don't play to their capability. I clearly said "the final scoreboard is the only one that matters", and that while View show glimpses of playing "the best in the GPS", they are not consistent enough to make these "glimpses" last Did you read what I wrote? I said when they play to their capability they look the best in the GPS - the problem? They don't play to their capability. I clearly said "the final scoreboard is the only one that matters", and that while View show glimpses of playing "the best in the GPS", they are not consistent enough to make these "glimpses" last the whole game.
C8B60A5A-F073-491A-AC51-4DB5CFADDC8D.jpeg
This was the disallowed try from yesterday. Add the drop ball over the line and the score line could have blown out over 50.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
There is not much to add to the game. A lot has been said and from various perspectives. I wish to comment though on the results of having the game "offsite" for the first time. It was an applauded decision at the time to move the game. As written ad-nausea here, Riverview had every concern to host this game with so many reunions. What I am worried about is how this was handled.

From the first on-set this game was decidedly not an AAGPS schoolboy game. There is a certain "feel" to a schoolboy game with the sounds of families, schoolboys chatting, bloody bagpipes, drums and some chanting ringing in the ears. There is lively banter from the sideline and cheeky commentary from old boys. The air is filled with the smell of BBQ, mothers smiling broadly in canteens, old, old boys discussing the good old days and the smell of the pies wafting across the crowd at Shore. People are free to wander the grounds and enjoy every angle whether it be the carpark slope at Kings, the banks of the brick pit and Newington, the swamp bowl at View and the acreage of Shore, people can spread out and soak it up. Young families have space for small children to play while daddy watches the game. View has similar smells and sounds and is, and will always be, a massive occasion locals hate every two years. Simply put, "you buy the land you get the Indians".

Yesterday had NONE of this feel. People were confronted with heavy handed security, bag checks, police and even more security inside the crowd. Riverview bunting was everywhere. Three massive school crests adorned the field. I have never seen this before. Joeys goes to great lengths to have both schools’ crests on the field at this game. This looked overkill. Then you have commentator who couldn’t stop himself as all day he was plugging cookbooks, merchandise, thanking people, and scolding old boys to no avail. Areas had been roped off. Old boys herded in and told to behave. Access denied, simple requests were denied and people responded in kind. The mood changed. We were caged in, the venue did not reflect the sights, smells and feel of a schoolboy game. It was a reflection of another game where violence is permitted and expected, crowds baying for aggression, manners do not exist and standards of behavior are long forgotten. Yesterday, this was not a schoolboy crowd. Yesterday should never happen again.

Here endth the rant.
Joker, you make a lot of good points. Unfortuntely I think this is the start of a more regular trend for the big matches. Just in the last 10 days, we have had reports of an Old Boy hitting a player after full-time at Shore and an unsavour incident at Waverley. I'm sure this forum is filled with many more. I think the schools are struggling to control the Old Boys and will make decisions to move more of these matches away.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Joker, you make a lot of good points. Unfortuntely I think this is the start of a more regular trend for the big matches. Just in the last 10 days, we have had reports of an Old Boy hitting a player after full-time at Shore and an unsavour incident at Waverley. I'm sure this forum is filled with many more. I think the schools are struggling to control the Old Boys and will make decisions to move more of these matches away.
A real shame that some old boys are allegedly misbehaving and that schools might’ve be forced to move old boys days away from rugby games. I attended an old boys function recently and everyone in my vicinity enjoyed themselves and behaved well. As a non Sydney based old boy I enjoy the opportunity to go back and watch my old school go around because I seldom get the chance. Same old story “one bad apple spoils the barrel”.

WrestlingNRugby

Frank Row (1)
bob, from an old lag who's watched a LOT of schoolboy rugby:

1. I've rarely been to a View/Joeys game where Riverview weren't leading at some stage, mostly early in the match.
2. I've never seen View beat Joeys.
3. If it wasn't for the break in play late in the second half (ostensibly for poor behaviour by SIC OBs on the Wayne Pearce Hill) when the View forwards were under the pump the score would've been ugly. The View pigs were on the point of breaking, the breather helped them considerably to gather their thoughts, and collective breaths, and allowed them to weather the storm somewhat. We saw what happened in the Seconds when the Joeys forwards got on top of the View pigs, the Firsts match was going the same way.
4. Joeys were physically fitter and mentally tougher. And rugbywise smarter adapting to the pedantic referee.
4. The final score flattered Riverview.
You must off missed the 2021 Joeys vs View trial which View won quite easily in the end and where up by 20 points at one stage. Think View ended up putting 40 on them.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Everyone having a go at the old boys, well I don’t think there was any problem with kings and newigtion old boys on the weekend from what I’ve heard, seems to be a select few schools ?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You must off (sic) missed the 2021 Joeys vs View trial which View won quite easily in the end and where up by 20 points at one stage. Think View ended up putting 40 on them.
Obviously. Trial matches aren't on my To Go To list. Congrats View for winning that one.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Next week Joeys Hosts Kings . A game that rivals SJC vs View in terms of History and Old boy attendance .. Let’s see if there is the same amount of trouble at HH .
It is a such a shame that this one game sully the rest

I have been attending games as a an old boy now for over 40 years. In that time I have enjoyed some memorable times interacting with old boys from other schools.

Kings and Shore Old boys are no issue, in fact we enjoy seeing them and enjoying drinks with them after the game. Newington prove no issue as well and when played at the Stanmore Brick pit, their hospitality is legendary and greatly appreciated. Scots, despite the chip on their shoulder over that 1981, 1982, 1992, 1994 etc... games, provide good fun and good times when both groups mix. I even have a few Scots Old Boys as friends (one even made me a godfather of his son...must be playing the Catolic card just in case).

The only group I have ever had issues with is Riverview

My worst experience was when my eldest boy was in year 8 and he was ball boy for the 1st XV game against Riverview. I was on the northern fence line and would watch him, take photos and be as proud as a dad could be. Directly behind the goal posts was a huge group of drunk View old boys (probably 23 years old) My small boy had to endure sledging and abuse from the tuxedo wearing goons. To his credit he ignored the fools but kept an eye out. Soon, it was apparent that Joeys was going to win, the View lads got worse and worse.

After another Joeys score my son was standing to close to the fence when one of these intoxicated morons reached out and grabbed him. My son tried to break loose but was pulled back by the hair. The red mist over took me and I went through that crowd like a bull and got close, all the while yelling my boys name. (For those who are fathers, you would know how I felt) The drunk View boy let go of my son and cretin warned me that there where more of them than me. I said something along the lines of "I just need to get a fingernail in you and I will tear out your f%#king heart." I was then grabbed me from behind and I was pulled back by Joeys old boy friends. Thank God they did as I was seconds away from doing something I would have regretted. Security soon arrived and they took the the View boy who assaulted my son. I was very happy to assist the Police after the game.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
It is a such a shame that this one game sully the rest

I have been attending games as a an old boy now for over 40 years. In that time I have enjoyed some memorable times interacting with old boys from other schools.

Kings and Shore Old boys are no issue, in fact we enjoy seeing them and enjoying drinks with them after the game. Newington prove no issue as well and when played at the Stanmore Brick pit, their hospitality is legendary and greatly appreciated. Scots, despite the chip on their shoulder over that 1981, 1982, 1992, 1994 etc... games, provide good fun and good times when both groups mix. I even have a few Scots Old Boys as friends (one even made me a godfather of his son...must be playing the Catolic card just in case).

The only group I have ever had issues with is Riverview

My worst experience was when my eldest boy was in year 8 and he was ball boy for the 1st XV game against Riverview. I was on the northern fence line and would watch him, take photos and be as proud as a dad could be. Directly behind the goal posts was a huge group of drunk View old boys (probably 23 years old) My small boy had to endure sledging and abuse from the tuxedo wearing goons. To his credit he ignored the fools but kept an eye out. Soon, it was apparent that Joeys was going to win, the View lads got worse and worse.

After another Joeys score my son was standing to close to the fence when one of these intoxicated morons reached out and grabbed him. My son tried to break loose but was pulled back by the hair. The red mist over took me and I went through that crowd like a bull and got close, all the while yelling my boys name. (For those who are fathers, you would know how I felt) The drunk View boy let go of my son and cretin warned me that there where more of them than me. I said something along the lines of "I just need to get a fingernail in you and I will tear out your f%#king heart." I was then grabbed me from behind and I was pulled back by Joeys old boy friends. Thank God they did as I was seconds away from doing something I would have regretted. Security soon arrived and they took the the View boy who assaulted my son. I was very happy to assist the Police after the game.
Listen view old boys aren’t the best but, I feel a certain group let down the rest of the view old boys and give them a bad name. Many are great lads but I can agree they seem to step out of line to much compared to other schools.

only other school I’ve ever had a problem with was Scott’s, sadly untill yesterday I had furly enjoyed the men from the east but, after seeing parents abuse the kings 16As boys after Scott’s had just lost I was pretty disgusted. These kids stayed calm but heard one of them say “go have a cry about it on green and gold” thought it was quite clever.

but seriously parents need to remember boundary’s there children aren’t playing for a World Cup it’s school footy, seems that gps is tending to forget this to often.

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
An early public service announcement that parking at Stanmore will be very tight on Saturday as the School hosts "Back to Newington Day" for the first time in 3 years. It's always a great day for past and current members of the school community, so if you are planning to come along, allow a bit of extra time to get there and then to hang around, there will be lots to see and do.

And come on an empty stomach. The stall lineup includes the B&W Café, BBQ Stall, Pie Stall, Donut Stall, Gozleme Stall, Lemonade Stall, Gelato Stall, Soup & Corn Stall, Fruit & Veg Stall, Taste of the Pacific, Indian Spices & Flavours, and Little Bit of Lebanon.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Hey buddy, I’m not ripping in here just observing. I was referring to the current crop of year 12s. I was led to believe that they went undefeated in 16s quite recently in 2020. That is the year 12 core of the 1s. We were shocked based on their undefeated year 10, that is all.
I will say this again. A strong or undefeated 16As means nothing for the 1st XV. A lot changes in those two years. Ever year there is a kid in the B's who grows or gets a yard faster. There is always the Marist kids from Newcastle (ah hum Joker, I am thinking Ben Kennedy here) so just like the Waratahs each year. Don't believe the hype

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
An early public service announcement that parking at Stanmore will be very tight on Saturday as the School hosts "Back to Newington Day" for the first time in 3 years. It's always a great day for past and current members of the school community.......
Back to Newington Day is the BEST experience any school puts on for schoolboy rugby.

greencardgarry

Frank Row (1)
Back to Newington Day is the BEST experience any school puts on for schoolboy rugby.
Have been to one Back to Newington Day in my time and it was… eh. In all my days going to reunions etc. I can’t say that I’ve ever had as much fun at any quite like I’ve had at View-Joeys (not this years). I think all the old boys here on the forum will agree that you are going to enjoy your own alma maters big days. Meaning that your post is quite ignorant Lindommer not quite sure how any one day can be the BEST.
Please specify!

Status
Not open for further replies.