• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsfooty123

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't know where you got this information from but none of the B's were put on for the C's game, the entire B's team was warming up on the nearby field. Some C's players went on for the B's because 2 of the B's forwards were subbed after halftime as they needed to play A's due to scots A's 6 and 5 being injured.
Just what I was told

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 7 Report

Riverview 19 def TAS 12
After their one point victory over Joeys last week, the Riveveriew 3rd XV had a chance to share the premiership by beating TAS 1st XV at Lane Cove and it turned out to be a really close match. Riverview #1 field has improved in recent weeks, being upgradeed by the stewards from "swamp" to "soft". It was a close tussle thoughout with both teams leading at various stages. TAS made it a real contest and it was 12-12 with fifteen minutes on the clock, until an excellent backline play saw Riverview score and convert a premiership winning try. TAS responded with several waves of attack in the final ten minutes but Riverview defence held on for a well deserved win and share of the 3rd XV premiership. There was great excitement on Riverview #1 oval and it has to be said that Riverview produced good form this year when it was most needed. Congratulations to them on sharing the Col Windon Shield.

Kings 20 def Joeys 5
A couple of hours later just across the river, Kings and Joeys faced off on Joeys #1 field to see who would share the premiership with Riverview. While this was another great contest, Kings demonstrated why they have become the form team at the end of the season, dominating Joeys at the breakdown and scoring three tries to one in a confident display of disciplined rugby. Joeys were unable to gain momentum as many of their plays were cut short through the speed of the Kings loose forwards at the breakdown, allowing Kings to capitalise with excellent counter attack that they converted into points. Kings far too good on the day and they deserve to share the premiership with Riverview. For Joeys it was a disappointing end to the season that started so well with five wins in a row, but you have to deliver at the business end of the season. Well done Kings. This is the first time that they have lifted the Col Windon Shield since the 3rd XV competition restarted in 2012.

Scots 14 def Shore 5
In what would be considered a significant upset, Scots defeated Shore at Bellevue Hill to end their season on a high note. Prior to this, Scots had only beaten High, and would have been thinking that this season was done and dusted. This win gives them some hope going forward. For Shore this was definitely the season that got away. They were the only team to beat co-premiers Riverview and narrowly lost to Joeys. However they finished the season losing four of their last five games including losses to Grammar and Scots in the final rounds so it's back to the drawing board. It only goes to show how difficult this competition is to win, and how you really can be "rooster one day and feather duster the next".

Grammar 34 def High 0
As predicted, the Grammar 1st XV proved too strong for High with a 34-0 victory at Rushcutters Bay. This win pushes Grammar into outright 4th position on the table behind Riverview, Kings and Joeys. A good finish for them despite losses to the top three teams. For High is has been a really tough year. Zero points scored in the season and 355 points against. The High 1st XV team deserves great credit for their effort this year but it has been a soul destroying season for them against the other GPS teams.

Finally, congratulations to Riverview and Kings for their joint 3rd XV premiership. They both thoroughly deserve it and I look forward to the 2023 season to see which of these school can challenge for the Col WIndon Shield.

Your 3rd XV correspondent.

INP

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Nice story thought I’d share fellas,

the Kings 16As team down 3 were awarded a penalty right infront of the sticks with 2ish mins left, the sideline yelling for them to take the 3 but the boys decided not to and kick for touch, after mauling for quite a bit they began to pick and drive.

with all the kings 1st 2nd 3rd and 4ths boys in the grandstand yelling for the kings boys, the prop went over in the corner to win the game for the lads. This prop is the fella who had lost a family member only two weeks ago and was unable to play against newo. The crowd were going crazy and kings had won!

nice little story thought I’d share with you lads, excited next year to continue my coverage on the 16s age group.

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
This...

My only question with the 11 in a row (hopefully Joker can answer this) is why didn't Joeys lose a player to the bin for repeated
Nice story thought I’d share fellas,

the Kings 16As team down 3 were awarded a penalty right infront of the sticks with 2ish mins left, the sideline yelling for them to take the 3 but the boys decided not to and kick for touch, after mauling for quite a bit they began to pick and drive.

with all the kings 1st 2nd 3rd and 4ths boys in the grandstand yelling for the kings boys, the prop went over in the corner to win the game for the lads. This prop is the fella who had lost a family member only two weeks ago and was unable to play against newo. The crowd were going crazy and kings had won!

nice little story thought I’d share with you lads, excited next year to continue my coverage on the 16s age group.
Great experience for the boys and very special for that individual.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
1660432118427.png

Brian Smiths day tomorrow.......

Congratulations to Joeys and to Shore yesterday it was hard to watch but good for GPS Rugby.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Revised tipping table.

I made a major error last night (too many after game drinks at Jacks Bar) and hence certain people were shortchanged.
There are now two winners only.
One of them pulled a major fluke out his butt to leap frog to the top.

Thank you all who played this season. It was the very first time this has been attempted and I cam sure there are ways to do it better. In the meantime though it did provide everyone with an opportunity to display their tipping prowess.

In 2023 I will ask again if we want to do this. If the answer is "yes" I will announce earlier so the competition can have more participants. By the end we could have had another 30 people playing if they had joined earlier.

TIPS- Week 11.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi all attended the Back to Newington day today to see what the hype was about. Definitely not what I has anticipated from what was said on here, but still a great day overall. I for some reason wasn’t aware of the little depth Newington had, with there 5ths coming against Riverview’s 9ths and there 4ths vs riverview 7ths and their 3rds vs riverview 4ths. Which were all very close games. Does anyone know how many boys a year there is at Newington?
GCG
Hello Greengarry

The issue of depth at Newington in its Rugby program are numerous. But I believe, the absence of large boarding house, that the other schools possess, is the major issue. As a former Old Boy, who didn't board, the imposition of travel is a major obstacle.Its nothing do with school numbers, but also a liberal choice of sports such as Soccer, Rules and other choices.
Dusk, a current year 12 student may have better insight.

Last edited:

Downtheline

Frank Row (1)
View attachment 14513

Congratulations to Joeys and to Shore yesterday it was hard to watch but good for GPS Rugby.
Look it isn’t pleasant to say, but Scot’s rugby culture from what it seems has been completely gutted. In our day, we wouldn’t have had to of shortened the sideline to attempt to beat joeys. Selection and recruitment process seriously needs to be reviewed, a good rugby program like those of 2013-2014 are built from the ground up. The flow on effect is dominant Scot’s teams from 2015-17 comprised of home grown talent and lads who grew up watching 2013-2014 dominance in the early years. As I said before, this current crop of year 12s won 16s undefeated I believe. They are now bottom of the table. Did players leave? Or did they have older players playing down a year?

Infamous schoolboy

Stan Wickham (3)
View attachment 14513

It seems like you have depicted the day of the previous scots director of rowing Michael Probert, who was such an awesome dude, and always promoted such a friendly environment and program. I think it best you should perhaps not comment on the future of coaches considering you yourself have 0 experience coaching at the level Brian Smith does and had you been in charge of the team I believe the outcome would have been something along the lines of the Wallabies v Argentina game.

Tony_weave531

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think Riverview's first XV next year will be similar to kings, can see maybe 4 year 11s make the team if they are lucky. Younger brother of the current first xv center and hooker will be the only chance of a year 10 playing 1s or 2s.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
@Joker
13A’s
View with the Win. Wasn’t watching close enough while chatting too much. (Newingtons a fault for a great day)
13Bs 24 all draw

Undefeated season for the View 13Bs. Well done boys.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think this year we had a very even comp. I would not be too hard on the coaches. Joeys won the comp and deservedly so. The feat of playing Scotts and view away after the wookies was no small issue. However, I would also point to the scorelines which were close in many instances. At the end of the day in those close games, he who believes in their brother knowing they will be there for you as well tends to get the chocolates.

Status
Not open for further replies.