• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Rumours around Stanmore is that a 2022 1st XV Newington forward maybe heading to the USA after a College on the East Coast have offered him a full scholarship.

I wonder who??? and if the rumours are true I wish the kid all the best.
To play American Football I assume? I know there are a number of boys playing Rugby in the Collegiate system now as well.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hey all,
With the comp switching formats to two rounds, what are your thoughts on the GPS following the AIC in Brisbane playing a term of union and then a term of league. I feel like this would cater to the boys having league contracts and it would help develop these boys talents. Let me know about your opinions on this statement.

archer-slap.gif

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
To play American Football I assume? I know there are a number of boys playing Rugby in the Collegiate system now as well.
Not sure to be honest. I’m assuming NFL as it’s a full scholarship from what I’ve heard unless Colleges in the USA grant scholarships for rugby players.

Personally and IMO I can’t see anyone from the 2022 1st XV having the size to play College NFL.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I
Not sure to be honest. I’m assuming NFL as it’s a full scholarship from what I’ve heard unless Colleges in the USA grant scholarships for rugby players.

Personally and IMO I can’t see anyone from the 2022 1st XV having the size to play College NFL.
From the 2022 class Ollie mccrea and Ben Distaso both have the size to play college football imo even thought I know they aren't, (both playing union next year) Ollie cummins also is a good build to play right back but hes solidified a spot in the force squad. It's pretty rare for footy players to try and make the switch to American football. I only know of yassmin, Colin Scott, Val holmes, Jordan Mailata, Jarryd Hayne and Christian wade (English) but i'm sure there's more of them in American football

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Totally depends on the position. It’s a bit of a myth that they are all giants. The Lineman, Tight Ends and a lot of linebackers are humans in the extra large form but others aren’t.

also with over 100 schools in Div 1 football there is a drop off in size and standard below say the top 40 and they all give scholarships.

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)

Will Perkins would be a dangerous wide receiver

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
A thought, if Eddie Jones realises his dream of bringing Suaalli to rugby then it might be an interesting idea to move Max Jorgensen to 10. He has all the attributes and to have both in the field would be awesome. What do others think?

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A thought, if Eddie Jones realises his dream of bringing Suaalli to rugby then it might be an interesting idea to move Max Jorgensen to 10. He has all the attributes and to have both in the field would be awesome. What do others think?
Maybe. Very hypothetical at this stage with Max yet to play a professional game and Suaalli one of the best players at the RLWC.

Does Max have any history of playing 10? He'll struggle to get a look in at the Tahs with the amount they have. You could convince me he'd be a Bauden Barrett type 10 with his running ability.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe. Very hypothetical at this stage with Max yet to play a professional game and Suaalli one of the best players at the RLWC.

Does Max have any history of playing 10? He'll struggle to get a look in at the Tahs with the amount they have. You could convince me he'd be a Bauden Barrett type 10 with his running ability.
Re your Barrett comment, that’s sort of what I was thinking. I watched both players a lot as schoolboys. Suaalli is a physically dominant player - height and speed etc and of course tremendous ball skills. Max is also highly skilful with ball in hand and can kick very well, but he stands out because of his vision and competitiveness. His ability to spot and exploit an opportunity is the best I’ve seen at school level and his competitive streak is intense (witness the tackle he made to stop a try Vs Newington last year), I’m sure that comes from his father.

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
Players to watch from years 10-12 from every school in 2023
Shore year 10: Ollie edwards
Shore year 11: Marshall Lemaitre
Shore year 12: Tom klem

Scot’s year 10: ontini large
Scots year 11: Leo jacques
Scot’s year 12: Blake steep

riveirvew year 10: Angus grover
Riverview year 11: Tom Hartman
Riverview year 12: Liam grover

Joeys year 10: jonty fowler
Joeys year 11: Henry segimier
Joeys year 12: hwi Sharples

newington year 10: illayz vilamu
Newington year 11: Toby rodwell
Newington year 12: lapina ata

kings year 10: Isaac fonua
Kings year 11: Charlie baker
Kings year 12: hadley Tonga

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

On Joeys; I agree Fowler is one to watch but he is yr 11 (although U 16’s). If you want a Yr 10 player, keep an eye on Matt Gough. There are quite a few of the U16’s cohort at Joeys to watch this year.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Illiyaz is in year 9

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What position does he play? Year 9 like;y to be in 1sts 2nds? Pretty special effort if that's the case.

Wouldn't mind knowing the positions of these fellas.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)