• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
How does Newington have 'no chance'? With winning the 16A's with Kings and coming joint second in the 1st's comp this year, I think Newington will be one of the favorites bud.
They won the 16a prem because Scot’s have fitttler brial and jacques in opens. However they do have some good players in this age group but I can’t see them winning a premiership without a good leader or very good 9,10,15

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
They won the 16a prem because Scot’s have fitttler brial and jacques in opens. However they do have some good players in this age group but I can’t see them winning a premiership without a good leader or very good 9,10,15
Koby Owen 9 (u16's last year), Matt Humphries 10 (2nds and u16's gen blue), tom-farr jones 15 (2nds and u16's gen blue) or toby rodwell 15 (u16's) Pretty sure they will do just fine.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Rugby Australia has selected the most promising U16 Australian Male Rugby players to join a Development Camp on the the Gold Coast, 9-12 December.

1669088952252.png

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
No. These lads were already signed up to NRL clubs before coming to Scots. Please name one player who played rugby exclusively all his life at Scots and then played NRL after leaving school. I am most happy to be corrected.

NOTE- Thomas Yassmin scored a touchdown for Utah State University this past weekend. He may be inline to be drafted to the NFL.
Geeeze Joker you dropped the ball on this one.....all puns intended. You also forgot young Henari Veratua 2001..........

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
How does Newington have 'no chance'? With winning the 16A's with Kings and coming joint second in the 1st's comp this year, I think Newington will be one of the favorites bud.
Yawn, please refer to my thoughts on the last 3 years of this feed as to how unimportant winning the 16As is for making a successful 1XV the following year

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Yawn, please refer to my thoughts on the last 3 years of this feed as to how unimportant winning the 16As is for making a successful 1XV the following year
You're making a big generalization from just 3 years, but please continue on your tangent about how irrelevant the 16a's comp is for the following senior years.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
You're making a big generalization from just 3 years, but please continue on your tangent about how irrelevant the 16a's comp is for the following senior years.
Ah Dusky my good man, I am not talking about the last 3 years of competition, I am talking the last 3 years of chatter on the AAGPS channel. My data base goes from about 1992 onward and having played and coached the 16As it hold little importance to a GPS chocy chip

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
Rugby Australia has selected the most promising U16 Australian Male Rugby players to join a Development Camp on the the Gold Coast, 9-12 December.

View attachment 15001
Just noticed Riverview is the only GPS team to not be represented in this team. Is this a sign of a weak age group? How does everyone think the boys from lane cove are looking for the next few years? They have some good players returning next year like the 10 and the wing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Just noticed Riverview is the only GPS team to not be represented in this team. Is this a sign of a weak age group? How does everyone think the boys from lane cove are looking for the next few years? They have some good players returning next year like the 10 and the wing.
I think as you point out Riverview will have a couple of very good players but may be let down by a lack of 15-201st XV strength players. Which is what you need to win the comp and even more so going to 2 rounds.

There are some things they could do to improve instantly such as their fitness. They were routinely fading out of games last year and it happened like clockwork. Fitness goes then the tackles start falling off.

I hope I'm wrong with my first statement....

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Ah Dusky my good man, I am not talking about the last 3 years of competition, I am talking the last 3 years of chatter on the AAGPS channel. My data base goes from about 1992 onward and having played and coached the 16As it hold little importance to a GPS chocy chip
It varies enormously, some 16As will be springboards for GPS priernierships.Other not likely.In my experience having observed various teams, it is dependent on how two age groups blend together.Additionally the depth each age group possesses.As well, Between 16-18 years boys can undergo enormous personal growth. Equally, some can stop growing at 15 and 16. But generally, speaking a strong16A side will be the basis for strong 1st XV, two years later.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Basing your assessment on just two players is a bit superficial.This has been a strong Newington age group since the 13s and will continue to improve into the opens .Their success is due to excellent teamwork. In executing great support play as a playing group.So although Balmain Stubbies, is very much the proud supporter of their stars as individual players. I feel that Newington team cohesion, makes them potentially, the better team. As for having players in the opens and and using it, as excuses for losing, misses my point on team work. I know Newington A and Bs tend to train as as squads. With the intention of offsetting players that are missing.

This way team cohesion can be maintained and is less disruptive, unless numbers are large.As in the case of the 16As game against Shore.Here I .Was told that 6 players were out. Nevertheless, they pushed Shore all the way for a very narrow 2026-2029 loss.

Last edited:

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Hello there Subbies. Good to see you giving these blokes a serve in the offseason. :)

In 2018 Joeys won the 16A unofficial premiership defeating Riverview who had not previously lost. But both teams already had a number of their U16 stars in the Opens as is often the case.

The following year Joeys won all three premierships (1sts, 2nds and 3rds) undefeated, but many of those boys in the 1st, 2nds and 3rds were already in the Opens in 2018. A few standouts went from 16As to 1sts as you would expect and the strong 16s age group made a big difference across 1st, 2nds and 3rds even though not all of them made it into the 1sts (of course).

So I agree with Black & White - it has to be a combination of the existing Opens strength and the incoming players from the 16s.
And I agree with you - a strong 16A team on its own is generally not enough to win the Opens premierships.

Cheers
INP

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Hello there Subbies. Good to see you giving these blokes a serve in the offseason. :)

In 2018 Joeys won the 16A unofficial premiership defeating Riverview who had not previously lost. But both teams already had a number of their U16 stars in the Opens as is often the case.

The following year Joeys won all three premierships (1sts, 2nds and 3rds) undefeated, but many of those boys in the 1st, 2nds and 3rds were already in the Opens in 2018. A few standouts went from 16As to 1sts as you would expect and the strong 16s age group made a big difference across 1st, 2nds and 3rds even though not all of them made it into the 1sts (of course).

So I agree with Black & White - it has to be a combination of the existing Opens strength and the incoming players from the 16s.
And I agree with you - a strong 16A team on its own is generally not enough to win the Opens premierships.

Cheers
INP
Summed up well Mr Cerise. A gun 16As is great but it doesn't account for the boys in yr11 already in the opens and with a season of the top level under their belt. Joker will like this, the great Mark Kenna would always say, a good 1stXV with all 18yr Olds will beat a good 1st Xv with all 17yrs 99 time out of 103 times. (Scots maths)

Status
Not open for further replies.