• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
News out of st Joseph’s camp, with the moving on of one of their coaches they have recruited well. They have brought in highly sought after coach from Dubbo, Greg Cant
Greg Cant is more likely to replace Sticky at the Raiders than coach at Joeys although he does provide some good banter from the sidelines and his experience playing in the tenths back in the early nineties would be invaluable if allowed into the brains trust.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
What does the Joeys lineup look like this year ?
Scots and Newington look unbeatable.
There are some internal trials being played at Joeys this afternoon so we will start to see things take more shape after that. All A teams and the top 4 opens teams go to Canberra on Saturday week for the Marist Carnival. I think that it will be an extraordinarily tight comp this year, particularly with the reintroduction of the home and away rounds. I doubt there will be a championship team this year, winning 10 straight would challenge even the best and depth will be tested. Perhaps @Joker has the data but I wonder how many championship teams there were during the prior 2 round period?

Either way, Joeys will put up a strong team. There is a good cohort of 1's players back and a lot from 2's as well, the place just produces players. I reckon you will see a few from last years 15's cohort jump straight to opens and last years 16's cohort improved massively every year that they played together after a baptism of fire in 13's against the Scots wonder team.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
With all the debate around how much RA should pay to lure Sua'ali'i to union such as below, it is worth considering a few things.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...t-go-all-in-on-Sua'ali'i-20230323-p5cuny.html

I know he is brilliant, but, How much rugby has Sua'ali'i actually played and in what positions? I know I saw him play wing one season at Kings, and then in the centres during an injury interrupted season then he didn't really play at all because he was prioritising his league contract. Did he play fullback at all? There is no doubt that he is a fine young man and an exceptional athlete but should RA be throwing huge money at him when they have Max Jorgenson on the books, he is playing the house down and is arguably a better natural footballer. He has also already passed on big $ NRL contracts because he wants to play union... where would you place your bets? If RA does bring Sua'ali'i across then they need to have a a plan to accomodate both as starting players because there is no way you would want one of them on the bench. Either that or Max will end up in Europe on very big money and unavailable for the Wallabies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I think he would be able to win a Wing spot with Marika instantly TBH. I also think he would be able to play 13 comfortably.

It's a hard position to contemplate because we love what we are seeing from Max at the moment, but sport is filled with stories of people being present at the same time as another in their position. I think RA would love to have to deal with that potential selection headache.

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Dropped in to look at the Joeys internal trials ('1sts vs 2nds') yesterday afternoon. Raining and humid which evens things out but it was a very competitive game. Probably 5-6 of the likely 1st XV sitting out injured or with other sport commitments. Very fast paced but got sloppy in the 2nd half.

A few items of note – both No. 10’s were excellent. I think they were the 10-12 combination in the 2nds last year (?). It would be tough to choose one over the other at the moment, maybe they play together again and Oscar Jorgensen moves out to 13. Plenty of time to solve that one. Except for Oscar and Pat Broe, not a lot of size in the backs at all, but plenty of zip.

Good tighthead props are like gold and they seem to have one. Great in all aspects and terrific passing game too. The No. 8 in the 1sts monstered everyone to the point they rested him at half time. He’s a big tall kid who looked very fit, can really play and hits hard. I think the others were happy to see him rested. There seems to be a production line of handy No.7’s but no real stand outs, some good players will end up in the lower grades. There was also an U15 kid (Justice ?) in the backrow. Did not look out of place among the older boys. Big future ahead of him.

Canberra Marist away on Saturday week then a camp in Tamworth after Easter. Knox first up in a trial in term 2 will be a good barometer.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Nice write up.

If you have a good solid pack that will get a backline consistent ball it shouldn't concern many about size. As long as they are skilled and can tackle they will be fine.

Not often you lose games just because a backline is smaller unless you come against a team with absolute monsters 11-15. View has shown you need the Piggies or you are starting on the backfoot in every game.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Dropped in to look at the Joeys internal trials ('1sts vs 2nds') yesterday afternoon. Raining and humid which evens things out but it was a very competitive game. Probably 5-6 of the likely 1st XV sitting out injured or with other sport commitments. Very fast paced but got sloppy in the 2nd half.

A few items of note – both No. 10’s were excellent. I think they were the 10-12 combination in the 2nds last year (?). It would be tough to choose one over the other at the moment, maybe they play together again and Oscar Jorgensen moves out to 13. Plenty of time to solve that one. Except for Oscar and Pat Broe, not a lot of size in the backs at all, but plenty of zip.

Good tighthead props are like gold and they seem to have one. Great in all aspects and terrific passing game too. The No. 8 in the 1sts monstered everyone to the point they rested him at half time. He’s a big tall kid who looked very fit, can really play and hits hard. I think the others were happy to see him rested. There seems to be a production line of handy No.7’s but no real stand outs, some good players will end up in the lower grades. There was also an U15 kid (Justice ?) in the backrow. Did not look out of place among the older boys. Big future ahead of him.

Canberra Marist away on Saturday week then a camp in Tamworth after Easter. Knox first up in a trial in term 2 will be a good barometer.
great note, any idea who the standout tight head is? or the 8?

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
great note, any idea who the standout tight head is? or the 8?

Tight head would be James Winter. Central West boy that Pat McCutcheon has encouraged closely along the journey. I agree, quiet achiever and good all-round skills. No.8 would be Eamon Doyle from Illawarra. Yep, big fella who unfortunately got injured last year. A real talent if he stays uninjured. There are a lot of country boarders in the 1sts this year and some big forwards.

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Tight head would be James Winter. Central West boy that Pat McCutcheon has encouraged closely along the journey. I agree, quiet achiever and good all-round skills. No.8 would be Eamon Doyle from Illawarra. Yep, big fella who unfortunately got injured last year. A real talent if he stays uninjured. There are a lot of country boarders in the 1sts this year and some big forwards.
From what I hear there are still a lot of candidates out injured. Hopefully they are back at it soon. The makings of a very solid 1 and 2’s squad is there. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Best of luck to all the Rugby boys who are competing in the HOTR this Saturday.

Schedule of Events:

9:00 AM 4th Year 10 VIII
9.08 AM 3rd Year 10 VIII
9.16 AM 2nd Year 10 VIII
9.24 AM 1st Year 10 VIII
9.32 AM 3rd VIII
9.40 AM 4th IV
9.50 AM 3rd IV
10.05 AM 2nd IV
10.20 AM 1st IV
10.35 AM 2nd VIII
10:50 AM 1st VIII

Live on Cluch TV

St Ignatius Riverview clear winners not only in the 1st VIII but finished 1st or 2nd in all 11 races.
A poor season for the Shore school who were so dominant for many years.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I think he would be able to win a Wing spot with Marika instantly TBH. I also think he would be able to play 13 comfortably.

It's a hard position to contemplate because we love what we are seeing from Max at the moment, but sport is filled with stories of people being present at the same time as another in their position. I think Rugby Australia would love to have to deal with that potential selection headache.
Well now that is is confirmed, it’s worth noting that the Roosters internally rated Jorgo more highly than Sua’ali’i at the same stage (final year of school). Will they return the favour and go after him? Given how little rugby he has actually played I guess we will find out how clever the RA board really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.