• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustyy

Peter Burge (5)
For those that don’t follow the rowing - please do the Riverview viii the credit and watch a perfect race. They have dominated all year. Credit the TKS and Scot’s crews that were able to push the view crew to the line.

If you go back over the past few years the winner is definitely sub 6 and yesterdays times were a credit to the crews and coaching.

Riverview have been consistent with their crew and trained right through the Christmas period. They are off to nationals and let’s hope they continue and become the deceasing national champions!

For the rest of us - time for rugby!

Goosestep

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well now that is is confirmed, it’s worth noting that the Roosters internally rated Jorgo more highly than Sua’ali’i at the same stage (final year of school). Will they return the favour and go after him? Given how little rugby he has actually played I guess we will find out how clever the Rugby Australia board really is.
Sua'ali'i, Jorgo, Crichton, cam murray, will Penisini etc all gps products to name just a few .(so many old boys playing in the nrl) . It’s very obvious that the GPS competition produces elite talent to both rugby union and league …remember that next time someone says “for the good of the game” we need to merge the comps rubbish.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Well now that is is confirmed, it’s worth noting that the Roosters internally rated Jorgo more highly than Sua’ali’i at the same stage (final year of school). Will they return the favour and go after him? Given how little rugby he has actually played I guess we will find out how clever the Rugby Australia board really is.
I don’t know if they will. Might just be something suggested in a bit of anger right now but the NRL always have new talent coming through. As for the Tahs potential position situation this is still 2 seasons away so a lot will happen between now and then. Max wont be short of offers by other Aus teams if he was squeezed out of the Tahs but I have a feeling NSW want that problem themselves. Bit off topic for the school boy rugby thread now.

When are the first trials now HOTR has passed?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I don’t know if they will. Might just be something suggested in a bit of anger right now but the NRL always have new talent coming through. As for the Tahs potential position situation this is still 2 seasons away so a lot will happen between now and then. Max wont be short of offers by other Aus teams if he was squeezed out of the Tahs but I have a feeling NSW want that problem themselves. Bit off topic for the school boy rugby thread now.

When are the first trials now HOTR has passed?
Joeys is heading to Canberra this weekend, all A teams plus 1 to 4’s. There are a lot of likely 1’s players out injured but a few bolters are rumoured to be amongst the starters. Games against Marist Canberra for the A teams and the opens games are against the 1st XV teams from a variety of Marist schools (Canberra, Greg’s and Ashgrove I think).

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
For those that don’t follow the rowing - please do the Riverview viii the credit and watch a perfect race. They have dominated all year. Credit the TKS and Scot’s crews that were able to push the view crew to the line.

If you go back over the past few years the winner is definitely sub 6 and yesterdays times were a credit to the crews and coaching.

Riverview have been consistent with their crew and trained right through the Christmas period. They are off to nationals and let’s hope they continue and become the deceasing national champions!

For the rest of us - time for rugby!
It is interesting that since the HOTR has been at SIRC, you need a 5:55 to win or place second. With advancements in boats, training and nutrition the times have basically stayed the same. But put a mid to late 90s 1st XV up against a 1st XV these days and I doubt the 90s would get with in 50 points ......

Bigmac75

Bob McCowan (2)
It is interesting that since the HOTR has been at SIRC, you need a 5:55 to win or place second. With advancements in boats, training and nutrition the times have basically stayed the same. But put a mid to late 90s 1st XV up against a 1st XV these days and I doubt the 90s would get with in 50 points ......
Joeys 91 team was pretty hot and might give todays teams a good game.

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Sua'ali'i, Jorgo, Crichton, cam murray, will Penisini etc all gps products to name just a few .(so many old boys playing in the nrl) . It’s very obvious that the GPS competition produces elite talent to both rugby union and league …remember that next time someone says “for the good of the game” we need to merge the comps rubbish.
Getting NRL players is great and all for the wallabies, but surely that money could be better spent on pathways for club union and even improving the public school systems union pathways?

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Joeys is heading to Canberra this weekend, all A teams plus 1 to 4’s. There are a lot of likely 1’s players out injured but a few bolters are rumoured to be amongst the starters. Games against Marist Canberra for the A teams and the opens games are against the 1st XV teams from a variety of Marist schools (Canberra, Greg’s and Ashgrove I think).
Marist Canberra are then heading to NZ for an Opens tour during the holidays.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Getting NRL players is great and all for the wallabies, but surely that money could be better spent on pathways for club union and even improving the public school systems union pathways?
I think this is partly true. There needs to be a hybrid approach, on one hand paying up to back fill depth with the likes of Sua'ali'i to boost the game in the short term. On the other hand investing in grass roots and young player retention (like they seem to be doing with Jorgo) so this never happens again in the future. If RA is run properly, centralises contracting and gets a decent governance framework is place the code should thrive. Between private equity interest, the Lions tour and a home world cup the code should be in a position to retain all the leading talent it wants going forward. The leather patch brigade just needs to kill off self interest, box seat and buffets, forget silly regional ego trips and put the health of the game nationally and internationally at the front of every decision. Simple, right?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Completely agree. I would say though I support Rugby in going for kids with a background in the game. Especially the ones that are a fan drawcard.

Another point about his contract that I can’t prove but it has been spoken about by others is the private funding that might be used to pay parts of his contract. This money would is not being taken away from grassroots because it was never with RA in the first place. It only came into play for this signing.
It is interesting. I do know some things like waxing the Hull was very common through the 90s and early 2000s which they can’t do anymore supposedly. I had this explained to me by one of those Rowing thoroughbreds. (Unique lot) Rowing might be a sport that is at stage where monumental jumps in time are done. They are always impacted by weather and a dominant crew may relax slightly when they have a good lead with 250m to go. I might say that Rowers have probably always had a similar training regime to the previous generations where Rugby has definitely changed. The last 25 years have seen a lot of teams train like professionals in regards to the S&C

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Completely agree. I would say though I support Rugby in going for kids with a background in the game. Especially the ones that are a fan drawcard.

Another point about his contract that I can’t prove but it has been spoken about by others is the private funding that might be used to pay parts of his contract. This money would is not being taken away from grassroots because it was never with Rugby Australia in the first place. It only came into play for this signing.

It is interesting. I do know some things like waxing the Hull was very common through the 90s and early 2000s which they can’t do anymore supposedly. I had this explained to me by one of those Rowing thoroughbreds. (Unique lot) Rowing might be a sport that is at stage where monumental jumps in time are done. They are always impacted by weather and a dominant crew may relax slightly when they have a good lead with 250m to go. I might say that Rowers have probably always had a similar training regime to the previous generations where Rugby has definitely changed. The last 25 years have seen a lot of teams train like professionals in regards to the S&C
I reckon the training for rowing hasn't innovated enough. The boys are probably over trained and I suspect that Riverview might have worked that out this year hence their massive leap forward this year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Agree big time when you see they won the Junior point score, 2/3 yr 10 8s then 6/7 Trophy Races at HOTR. Something they are doing is right.

I’d say with @Joker video in mind of the 91 Joeys team that if that team had access to today’s training they would be up there but if we could time travel they would probably be run off the park after 30 mins. Every sport is the same

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I used to think the same but now I'm not so sure.

I'm going anecdotally here, but now that both the school and club pathways end up at the same point, it would seem the knock on effect of this is that the CHS and CCC teams will be gutted of whatever ability they had left in their systems. From memory both CCC and CHS got trounced last year and at first glance that seems sad. But when you think of it, it actually is an indicator that the club based pathways are improving and offering value for money.

Think of it this way -
You're a kid who attends Local Govvie or Catholic HS. Your school couldn't care less about Rugby (that's a snotty nosed private school game isn't it son??) but yet in order to progress through a pathway, you have to attend a trial where you will represent your school, region and school association - all of whom contribute less than zero to your Rugby playing future.

But now...
You can stay in your club based pathway. Your club, who's coached you from an early age and has a vested interest in you getting better at the game. Who's provided opportunities to play. Who's members have taken you to various state champs and gala days. Who actually cares about Rugby. You now get to represent them without penalty and lack of opportunity that GPS,CAS and ISA kids get.

I think it's been the best decision that's been made regarding junior pathways for a very long time.

Again - from memory, Sydney Juniors and Country Juniors were quite strong last year - at the expense of the CCC and CHS teams and for my mind can only be a good thing.

JackJill, I don think there is enough money in the country that you could throw at coaching and development in the CHS and CCC systems. They're not interested in it and you'd be throwing good money after bad at it.

Anyway - my 2 cents there :)

Bigmac75

Bob McCowan (2)
Skill wise no doubt, but size, fitness, power and endurance the 2014 Scots side or 2020 Kings side would tear them a new one.
Joeys had smaller but decent forwards and electic backs with strong teamwork across the park. If they got a sniff against bigger packs they might cut loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.