• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Had the privilege to watch the Scots vs View game yesterday down at the Cove. Was a great game as well as a really good turnout. Always a spectacle to watch the footy on the hill and hear the View boys 'war-cries' echo throughout Lane Cove.
Scots struggled to face up to the View boys despite their obvious 'size' advantage. Momentum shifted frequently throughout the game and Scots showed their fight however View managed to shift the ball the well and score tries out wide. Fittler had a terrible game. Many in the race for BOG for View, personally I think that the BOG award could've gone to any of these guys, their 7 (as per usual), 8, 10, 11, 13, and 15.
I think yesterday's scoreline definitely reflects Views ability to prove some people wrong this season.

Last edited:

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
I’m reading from a CAS advocate. I must say this season of GPS footy is exciting and competitive. It’s anyones for the taking! However, after the first 2 rounds, these are my predictions after watching the games on Clutch (I wish CAS streamed there games)

1. Kings
2. Riverview
3. Newington
4. Joeys
5. Scots
6. Shore

Also, I love the TOTW idea. Keen to see who makes it this week

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Jokers "Way Back when machine"

Yesterday I had the pleasure of speaking to a number of lovely Shore parents after the games function. One mother asked me why did it seem that Shore made a bigger effort for the Joeys community than most. I told her it probably goes back to when Basil Holmes "Jika" Travers first encountered the Joeys community. I know, because I was there when he told this to a group of us after our games at Northbridge. We were fascinated with this war hero.

His story goes as thus....

Jika said that in his first year as Headmaster at Shore he would watch the games of rugby from the junior levels upwards. Jika I believe had some rugby pedigree and loved to watch and encourage the boys.

In his first occasion hosting St Joseph's College in the 1950's? as Headmaster he was watching a junior Shore team getting beaten badly and their heads had gone down. At half time he said that he saw a sorry bunch of disheartened Shore boys walk to the coach (a young school master) who looked quite flummoxed as what to do or say. While he was struggling to find the words Jika said he saw this old man, wearing glasses dressed in a long black coat and sparse white hair approach the young school master. He spoke briefly to him and then he addressed the boys.

Jika walked over to the bunch of lads sitting on the ground and saw them all suddenly rise to the feet and surround the old man. Jika said he was amazed that their focus was on him. He heard the older gent imploring them to play for the jersey, play for their mates and play for their own self belief. He told them to "only allow Joeys to beat you in the scorebook and not in your heart".

Usually you might expect with these "Hollywood" style speeches the lads would go out and win the game. They didn't Jika said. But they did something better, they won their courage back by not allowing Joeys to score another point. Jika said he searched for the old man but could not find him. Later Jika was watching the 1st XV's in battle. It was his first taste of Joeys rugby and spirit. He loved the cheering and told us that he saw that small old man again. He was sitting on the sideline with the coaching staff.

At the end of the game he sought him out and there he met this small old Marist educator, Brother Henry for the first time. Brother Henry is the most successful schoolboy rugby coach in Australia. (20 AAGPS 1st XV titles and 21 2nd XV titles) Jika said he thanked Brother Henry for his words of encouragement earlier that day and his willingness to help others. He expressed how impressed he was with the result he had on his students. Jika said Brother Henry was very humbled by the praise. From that moment onward the two of them became firm friends. Rumour has it Jika asked Brother Henry for a few ideas when Shore won their back to back titles under Jika's coaching. Jika was also the only GPS HEAD who attended Brother Henry's funeral in 1970.

Jika said he adored the mantra, "Be the best hosts". Jika did say that he was quite impressed of the huge spread Joeys put on for his players but others as well. No one was turned away. He also said that he loved the sneaky red wine served by the Joeys community when they hosted Shore. He said words to the effect, "Catholics know how to corrupt Anglicans"

Jika's deeds and legendary discipline are well known. I will always treasure the time he gave a bunch of rugby players stuffing their faces with some of the best spread in the GPS. His efforts drew Joeys and Shore closer and created a friendship that resulted in many life long friendships.

1684646957172.png
1684648084649.png

Last edited:

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
There was nothing in that 11/15 kings/Newington incident.

They're both going for the ball, but the Kings player gets the ball slightly earlier with a favourable bounce, and hes running onto the ball at full speed, and then bumps off Newington 15 who's more focused on the ball.

I recorded it and watched it over and over.

The Phantoms

Peter Burge (5)
Jokers "Way Back when machine"

Yesterday I had the pleasure of speaking to a number of lovely Shore parents after the games at the function. One mother asked me why did it seem that Shore made a bigger effort for the Joeys community than most. I told her it probably goes back to when Basil Holmes "Jika" Travers first encountered the Joeys community. I know, because I was there when he told this to a group of us after our games at Northbridge. We were fascinated with this war hero.

His story goes as thus....

Jika said that in his first year as Headmaster at Shore he would watch the games of rugby from the junior levels upwards. Jika I believe had some rugby pedigree and loved to watch and encourage the boys.

In his first occasion hosting St Joseph's College in the 1950's? as Headmaster he was watching a junior Shore team getting beaten badly and their heads had gone down. At half time he said that he saw a sorry bunch of disheartened Shore boys walk to the coach (a young school master) who looked quite flummoxed as what to do or say. While he was struggling to find the words Jika said he saw this old man, wearing glasses dressed in a long black coat and sparse white hair approach the young school master. He spoke briefly to him and then he addressed the boys.

Jika walked over to the bunch of lads sitting on the ground and saw them all suddenly rise to the feet and surround the old man. Jika said he was amazed that their focus was on him. He heard the older gent imploring them to play for the jersey, play for their mates and play for their own self belief. He told them to "only allow Joeys to beat you in the scorebook and not in your heart".

Usually you might expect with these "Hollywood" style speeches the lads would go out and win the game. They didn't Jika said. But they did something better, they won their courage back by not allowing Joeys to score another point. Jika said he searched for the old man but could not find him. Later Jika was watching the 1st XV's in battle. It was his first taste of Joeys rugby and spirit. He loved the cheering and told us that he saw that small old man again. He was sitting on the sideline with the coaching staff.

At the end of the game he sought him out and there he met this small old Marist educator, Brother Henry for the first time. Brother Henry is the most successful schoolboy rugby coach in Australia. (20 AAGPS 1st XV titles and 21 2nd XV titles) Jika said he thanked Brother Henry for his words of encouragement earlier that day and his willingness to help others. He expressed how impressed he was with the result he had on his students. Jika said Brother Henry was very humbled by the praise. From that moment onward the two of them became firm friends. Rumour has it Jika asked Brother Henry for a few ideas when Shore won their back to back titles under Jika's coaching. Jika was also the only GPS HEAD who attended Brother Henry's funeral in 1970.

Jika said he adored the mantra, "Be the best hosts". Jika did say that he was quite impressed of the huge spread Joeys put on for his players but other as well. No one was turned away. He also said that he loved the sneaky red wine served by the Joeys community when they hosted Shore. He said words to the effect, "Catholics know how to corrupt Anglicans"

Jika's deeds and legendary discipline are well known. I will always treasure the time he gave a bunch of rugby players stuffing their faces with some of the best spread in the GPS. His efforts drew Joeys and Shore closer and created a friendship that resulted many in life long friendships.

View attachment 16105View attachment 16107
Receiving a pink card from Jika on a Friday morning whilst he did his rounds to every secondary class was also a positive, two great educators from a bygone era. Thanks for sharing @Joker

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Receiving a pink card from Jika on a Friday morning whilst he did his rounds to every secondary class was also a positive, two great educators from a bygone era. Thanks for sharing @Joker
What happened if you got a pink card? Marist Brothers just belted you if you were out of line. Punch in the face was also a means of discipline.
Old boys would know the legend of "Archie" the hardest brother that ever walked the earth.

The Phantoms

Peter Burge (5)
What happened if you got a pink card? Marist Brothers just belted you if you were out of line. Punch in the face was also a means of discipline.
Old boys would know the legend of "Archie" the hardest brother that ever walked the earth.
A pink card was like a merit award today, which meant no chance of missing Saturday rugby whereas, a white card was a disciplinary 2hr detention (Friday) or the dreaded Saturday detention cleaning the white picket fence on A ground, hence missing rugby!!!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Archie was a tough nut and a great rugby coach, 3,4,1, forwards who played in his teams will know what I mean. Feared and respected in equal parts. The data won’t exist but I would guess he won more premierships than any coach in the GPS system ever albeit at U14 A’s and B’s particularly given his stint ran from the 60’s to the 90’s.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Archie was a tough nut and a great rugby coach, 3,4,1, forwards who played in his teams will know what I mean. Feared and respected in equal parts. The data won’t exist but I would guess he won more premierships than any coach in the GPS system ever albeit at U14 A’s and B’s particularly given his stint ran from the 60’s to the 90’s.
Archie would only appear in the team photo if they were undefeated. Give me a couple days and I shall research his record.

BruiserCruiser

Frank Row (1)
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I was just wondering if there is any update on the Scot's injury issue. Will many boys be coming back for them this week? and if not how is their depth in the lower grades (2s and 3s)?

Cheers,

BruiseCruise

6CrouchBindSet9

Bob McCowan (2)
Kings vs Riverview next week will be the most significant game to date. The 2 undefeated team go head to head at Parramatta. The winner of this game put themselves in a good position to really challange for the Premiership.

Key Matchups: 7v7, 10v10, 13v13.

Status
Not open for further replies.