• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordonguru

Frank Row (1)
Dear gps fans, the Riverview vs Scot’s game was incredibly entertaining riverview played fantastic! Inside centre for Riverview William haysey was wondferful, the blind side leon mason bunton was incredible, joe Dillon river views fly half was menacing, Hamish Grover was an absolute naughty boy at the Hooker position. In other news the centres for Scot’s were atrocious plus their whole team…

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
View v Scots

What a performance from from View Boys. Thoroughly entertaining style of running rugby that was asking questions of Scots outside backs that they could not answer. Surprisingly lacklustre from Scots Forwards around the field except for 8. Although I suspect View was running them off their feet.

Coaching at View deserve a lot of praise so far on how they have the team playing. Fitter, set piece and the style of play has been great over the last 3 weeks. The team that played Barker looks nothing like this team.

Best on ground for me:
View: 7,10,11,15
Scots: 8, 13

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
View v Scots

What a performance from from View Boys. Thoroughly entertaining style of running rugby that was asking questions of Scots outside backs that they could not answer. Surprisingly lacklustre from Scots Forwards around the field except for 8. Although I suspect View was running them off their feet.

Coaching at View deserve a lot of praise so far on how they have the team playing. Fitter, set piece and the style of play has been great over the last 3 weeks. The team that played Barker looks nothing like this team.

Best on ground for me:
View: 7,10,11,15
Scots: 8, 13
Agreed TGoR, 'View looked fitter and their combinations worked much better. As well as the 'View numbers you mentioned, 13 had a cracker imho.

First field looked to have a better surface than another GPS game I watched on Clutch, well done to the grounds staff and looking forward to the upgrade.

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)
Breaking from inside the view camp

Number 5 Charlie Bull is out for the season with an ACL tear

I feel terrible for him as this is his last year of rugby with View

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Lots of injuries heading into last week for the kings camp, as a program they proved successful winning all there games on Johnson’s oval.

my take on the 1st game is simple, they were challenged almost blew it, but still came away with the points. Young issac fonou will be in the 1st next week from the second he subbed on he had made immediate impact.

newo even though losing all off the “top games” today showed heart and major improvements, it was nice to see a crowd there for the boys aswell.

Heading into next week kings vs view is a game you can not miss, view will be out for revenge while kings look to stay composed and execute the game plan.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Trial 4 Report

This was the final trial week for the 3rd XV competition.
The first of seven competition rounds starts next week.

TAS 1st XV 19 d High 1st XV 5 (Competition Round 7 played early)
TAS are the first team to score competition points with this competition round win over High. A great result for TAS after a slow start in the trials, but also a solid performance from High to score a try and keep the match competitive. TAS host defending co-premiers Riverview next week in Armidale while High travel to Shore for the first official comp round.

Riverview 3rd XV 17 d Scots 3rd XV 15
What a close match at Lane Cove with Riverview sneaking home by a conversion. It just goes to show how close this competition will be with just a few points separating View, Kings, Scots and Joeys in their trial matches. Riverview will need to be at their best travelling to Armidale next week while Scots face a rematch with Kings who they lost to narrowly in the trials.

Joeys 3rd XV 27 d Shore 3rd XV 10
I watched this match at Shore and it was very close for most of the time with the score 10-10 into the second half and literally anyone's game. Joeys ran in three good tries in the second half for a confident victory but Shore looked good for much of the contest. Joeys can definitely improve their discipline and structure, but a win is a win and I am sure they will be well prepared for Grammar in the first round next week. Shore host High at Northbridge and that should be a good contest as well.

Kings 3rd XV 7 d St Patricks 1st XV 5
This is a great result for Kings against the St Pats 1st XV. I said it would be a tough assignment and once again only a conversion between the two teams. Still, Kings will lift from this victory and will be confident travelling to Bellevue Hill for the first round match against Scots as they commence their shield defence.

Grammar 1st XV 45 v St Patricks 2nd XV 0
It's certainly good for Grammar 1sts to get a win on the board before the competition starts but very hard to tell their form as they have not played any other GPS teams in the trials. We only have to wait a week to find out though, because they host Joeys at Rushcutters Bay in the first 3rd XV comp round next week. Should be a cracker.

Kings 4ths d Newington 3rds
RugbynBeers reported that Newington 3rds were just beaten by Kings 4ths on the bell. I don't have the score but well done to Kings claiming a 3rd XV victory.

So now the trials are done and the 3rd XV competition begins. Four round 1 matches next week:

Shore v High
Grammar v Joeys
TAS v Riverview
Scots v Kings

Regards
INP

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
T

Agreed the ref was not great but both ways and did blow match early. Not first half and not 8 mins. It’s not definite that Joeys had game. It was close. As you said 9 missing players- weakened side? Does anyone know other 16 results and age group results from Scot’s vs view and kings vs newington?
Yes 9 players missing (opens and LT injuries) and still really trying who to work out replacements. The short trial season hasn’t helped, oh well. it was definitely 8 minutes early, the second half was only 17 minutes (timed, I’m a nerd) I didn’t make mention of how poor the ref was, you bought that up. I agree he made mistakes both ways but the critical ones were one way, Worse though was his officiating at the ruck, it was dangerously non existent. The young ref should not have been in charge of a 16a game. He needs to develop his skills at an appropriate level, there is a safety aspect that is seldom mentioned but refs do have a responsibility. Shore should never have put this kid in that position. Coincidentally, the explanation for the early finish was that games on the back fields must finish by 12.55pm (don’t know why). It was only 12.50 when he called it. The adjacent field hosted the 13a’s, Shore were trailing but clinched a draw with a try on the bell. Full time was called at 1.01pm. Make of that what you will. It’s just a game, many will say. I would say that the game has rules, boys at this level work bloody hard preparing for it and they deserve that it be officiated properly. Finally, why do the 16a’s play on the smallest available back field and not the main ground?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.