• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack O'Brien

Bob McCowan (2)
Morning.
Tips please. Close midnight Friday
Do we have any news on the injury front,
I know Newington has some questions as to who is good to go. Mclean went off early + some more crucial players.
Joeys also have some injury worries with Jorgeson (12) and Young (7).
Riverview has Bull (5) out for the season, only injury worries at the moment.
Kings look like their full strength again with 10 most likely returning, moving Boston back to 12.
The Scots front row + lock were out last week will they be back?? The winger also might be back
Shore looks pretty clean, in terms of injuries.

Any news would make our tips a lot more accurate.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Do we have any news on the injury front,
I know Newington has some questions as to who is good to go. Mclean went off early + some more crucial players.
Joeys also have some injury worries with Jorgeson (12) and Young (7).
Riverview has Bull (5) out for the season, only injury worries at the moment.
Kings look like their full strength again with 10 most likely returning, moving Boston back to 12.
The Scots front row + lock were out last week will they be back?? The winger also might be back
Shore looks pretty clean, in terms of injuries.

Any news would make our tips a lot more accurate.
Hearing Joeys have multiple other injury concerns but need to confirm.

Dominic Cabot

Frank Row (1)
Updated Rankings - Post-Round 2
1. Kings
2. Riverview
3. Joeys
4. Newington
5. Scots
6. Shore

Kings look solid all around the only weakness is their fitness levels at the backend of games. Potentially get some fresh legs on with 10 to go. Particularly in the forward pack. Other than fitness their looking very strong and could run away with the comp. Their backline is something to be admired with no real weakness, and not even at full strength yet. Their scrums have been dominating opponents the whole year and real assets come set piece time, will be interesting how they play Riverview this week, considering how well Riverview defended the center pairing of Scots. Kings are still favorites in this game by about 7-10 points and think it could be more come game time.

Riverview has shocked my pre-season rankings (had them 5th in front of shore). They have started hot, thanks to the momentum gained from their crowd. Their crowd is definitely a factor in any games let alone home games. Riverview still has work to do in their mauls, giving up around 1-2 tries each trial + gps game so far. Their pack has stood up when mattered and is currently all in form. Will be interesting to see how they handle Charlie Bull news.

Joeys have started slowly in their 2023 campaign, yet still placed 3rd with no loss. Yes, it is only 2 draws which aren't ideal but knowing the culture and systems they have in place they're not out of the title race just yet. Injuries have plagued them all year and depending on the news with Jorgo and 7 my thoughts could change. Hiwi Sharples is been a foundational piece to what they want to achieve. Looks like Joeys has put trust in their youth (Yr10/11) this year. Will it pay off?

Newington is currently placed last with no wins yet. They let the Riverview game slip away from them at home. There was no real crowd pushing them and the Riverview crowd was almost making it a home game for them. Newington still has the necessary firepower to compete but will rely on some losses from the top teams in order to be back in consideration. Newington stuck in their against kings which was impressive and another reason why I'm not writing them off just yet. Injuries again will play a big factor in my thought process come tipping time. Newington will need someone to show fight and competitive spirit.

Scots have started slowly this year thanks to a draw and loss. Scots coming into the season were considered a top 3 team, yet they have no real glimpses of play to show for it. The center pairing is very good, with the 13 being a standout in every game and almost a lock to play GPS 1. He steps up when his team needs it most and has a special talent. Having 9 injuries doesn't help against Riverview including a whole front row and a lock. But the game is in the past, they lack talent other than the centers and need someone in the forward pack to step up in a big way in order for them to get results. There is a big side but don't play like it, their structure has also lacked discipline. The coach will have to make changes to either team or play style. The scots 10 in 2s was very effective at playing the 'lock' role as if it were an NRL game with a few handy offloads in contact and footwork, could be a very interesting option to play him in the forward pack to perhaps get some go-forward.

To be honest, I haven't watched enough Shore games to talk in-depth about them, but knowing the team lists it doesn't look as if they can contend with the top-of-the-table kings at all. They showed a good fight against Joeys resulting in a draw which was probably the best result possible considering the knockdown incident. Shore will have to work hard behind the scenes in order to contend, which isn't unheard of keeping in mind their great stretch of wins last year.

Great week of footy this one, will give us more information as to who is a real contender.

shot bernard, run a muck at leichardt - the bobcat
Let's keep it about this upcoming game not slandering others with crude nicknames.

minipekka

Bob McCowan (2)
Morning.
Tips please. Close midnight Friday
Joeys +7
Kings +5
Shore +5

Looking forward to heading east on saturday afternoon to see the shore boys take on the men in gold (it's yellow). I think Scots will be thirsty for revenge after last years upset and Shore will be high on confidence after a strong performance against Joeys. Both are suiting strong sides with a few injuries. We're in for a cracker!

Also looking forward to seeing the result of the View vs Kings matchup. Both coming off pretty convincing wins and the only teams to win both of the opening 2 rounds. Overall can't wait for another weekend of gps rugby!

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Report from Scots:
“The 1st XV, after a tough loss to Riverview on the weekend, would firstly like to thank Riverview for their hospitality. We also send our thoughts to the male who was injured during the 2nd XV fixture - to what looked like to be a major concussion. We also send regards to all the boys who made the trip over to Riverview on Saturday to support.
As a college we are looking forward to having as much support as possible to the fixture versus The SHORE School this Saturday at home.”

PaulSharman33

Frank Row (1)
The gun number 12 from Riverview Will Hayes is not being talked about enough. Shaping up perfectly for the GPS season his right foot step is a force to be reckoned with. Brilliant kicking game backed up with agility, speed and strength.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this player ?

Last edited:

Footybeers2

Frank Row (1)
The gun number 12 from Riverview Liam Hayes is not being talked about enough. Shaping up perfectly for the GPS season his right foot step is a force to be reckoned with. Brilliant kicking game backed up with agility, speed and strength.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this player ?
Played pretty well for the young sterling, I remember his name from when I worked as a AAGPS basketball scout. Impressive footy player that Liam Hayes. Would definitely consider him over Fittler this year in a GPS team after Round 2.

Outsideprop

Frank Row (1)
Max mason is in for a big game in Armidale this weekend
Max's running game was excellent on the weekend against scots, lets hope he can do it again against Armidale if he can keep his spot in the 3rd XV after his unfortunate kicking game off the tea, although he saved it with a cross field kick to win it at the end. Let's hope there's no chat from the armidale's centres, as scots college No.13 (Ned Mccarney) really got stuck into Max Mason's head which is belived to have to hindered his performance off the tea.

archie westoff

Frank Row (1)
Max's running game was excellent on the weekend against scots, lets hope he can do it again against Armidale if he can keep his spot in the 3rd XV after his unfortunate kicking game off the tea, although he saved it with a cross field kick to win it at the end. Let's hope there's no chat from the armidale's centres, as scots college No.13 (Ned Mccarney) really got stuck into Max Mason's head which is belived to have to hindered his performance off the tea.
Yes I agree with this, and the try from Ben Bousie, coming off the bench, a real upcoming star with a long stride and reach, great under the high balls. Big things upcoming for ben bousie

CheeseW4rner

Bob McCowan (2)
I would like to challenge anyone to make the best u17 GPS team. Mine is:
1. Tom Duddy (S)
2. James Warner (E)
3. Daniel Rigney (I)
4. Charlie B (I)
5. Edwin Langi (K)
6. Arthur Greer (J)
7. Conor Dempsey (I)
8. Justice (J)
9. Edward Carter (I) (C)