• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
BTW...

As I am researching the AAGPS rep games I have noted that in the 1930's AAGPS teams played against these teams.

1st XV v Royal Military College, Melbourne for the Forsythe Sheild
2nd XV v Hawksbury Agricultural College
3rd XV v Waverley College

Found this in 1931

View attachment 16630
The CAS was not finalised till 1934 when Waverely were the last to join.
The CAS website confusingly lists Waverley College as joining in 1934, then in 1943. The latter is correct.

Waverley applied to join in 1934, but was knocked back following an objection by the Trinity Headmaster over an issue of school fees. In 1943 Waverley was invited to join and became the 6th school in the CAS.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Waverley applied to join in 1934, but was knocked back following an objection by the Trinity Headmaster over an issue of school fees. In 1943 Waverley was invited to join and became the 6th school in the CAS.
This would explain why I am finding it hard to find the first AAGPS v CAS matches.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know who the youngest ever firsts player was?? I’m pretty sure I remember the Prince of Samoa or Tonga or whatever it was from Newington and he played in year 8 I think back in 1950-60s? Any other cases of this?? Or is this case incorrect?
Not sure about NSW but Elton Flatley played 4 seasons of 1stXV for Nudgee in the Brisbane competition starting in year 9.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wasn't Sua'ali'i in year 9?

Can't think of any other 4 year players myself. 3 has become more common over the last 10 years with teams seeming to build to a premiership year in some cases. The boys use to be left to play U16s then hit the 1sts in year 11.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok, I have found it and it was not that long ago.

2018 Joeys had no boys in the AAGPS 1st XV.
BUT....they were premiers???

Plus they had 14 selected for the other teams???

Insanity

It is comforting to know that it was champion team and not a team of champions that did so well in 2018

Last edited:

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Hate?

In 1987 this is what happened when Scots beat Joeys.

View attachment 16629
That seems like respect. It was repeated in 1993 as well.
I was at both those games—87 and 93–and Joeys did indeed stand and cheer for Scots out of respect and congratulations.

Winning rugby is not the only the only thing that’s held as important at Joeys; they also take great pride in how they lose.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Where can we find lists of older AAGPS rep teams?

I wouldn't mind seeing other premiership winning teams and their numbers selected.
Wish I knew.

I have access to the Joeys archives and nothing makes me happier than when I can take a deep dive into them.
They are far but complete but I have been able to gleam some AAGPS team lists which include names of other school players.
Tell you what....when I continue tomorrow if I find one, I will snip it and share.

PLUS I have yet to discover when we first started to play the red menace.
We would play games against the Royal Military College (Duntroon), Hawksbury Agricultural College and other schools

There was also a AAGPS Premiers v the Rest of the GPS Xv match as well.
Interesting results. Will share in time.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I was at both those games—87 and 93–and Joeys did indeed stand and cheer for Scots out of respect and congratulations.

Winning rugby is not the only the only thing that’s held as important at Joeys; they also take great pride in how they lose.
I recall and Shore parent turning to me after Shore had beaten Joeys at Joeys in the late 90's

Shore were of course very excited. The Shore parent and I watched as the Shore boys celebrated with their supporters long and loudly and turned to return to the change rooms. To their surprise the Joeys boys, who waited a good 10 minutes stood in the stands, gave Shore three loud cheers and then clapped them off all the way off with even the occasional back slap thrown in. The parent turned to me and said something like, "I am not sure if we actually won now"

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
PLUS I have yet to discover when we first started to play the red menace.
CAS Wikipedia page shows a CAS Rugby championship in 1930 (when it was only 5 schools) but likely very small schools in those days.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's not until the 50s or 60s that GPS deemed them relevant.

Last edited:

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
My dad who played in GPS 1XV in 1959 said this exactly- "The only combined team we played was combined high schools. They were stronger than a combined associated school team but were still not strong enough. We beat them comfortably. Sydney Boys High played for CHS although they were a GPS school."

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
When are the likes of Oscar Jorgensen and Eamon Doyle and various others back for Joeys? After the break?

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
When are the likes of Oscar Jorgensen and Eamon Doyle and various others back for Joeys? After the break?
I understand both are fit and available to attend the Joeys Rugby camp on July 10 and do full contact. All other injured players from term 2 like Matt Gough and Ben Whyte are also scheduled to play from round 7 on 22 July (barring further injury calamities between now and then!).

Status
Not open for further replies.