• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Sydney Boys High played for CHS although they were a GPS school."
Interesting. Wonder how long that continued for??
I also don't recall TAS having the same involvement in GPS rugby back in the 8-school days. Has that changed over time?

Finally that 1994 ladder was interesting.
High in 2nd with the best for and against. Was that High's last hurrah so to speak?

Mr Scott

Peter Burge (5)
From a Scots POV in the 90's it went like this (Rugby Only)

- Games vs Joeys (pinnacle 93, but 92 and 94 were just as intense)
- Games vs Kings (always good days as many families from the bush would picnic together at Parramatta)
- Games vs Cranbrook (goes without saying...)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
From a Scots POV in the 90's it went like this (Rugby Only)

- Games vs Joeys (pinnacle 93, but 92 and 94 were just as intense)
- Games vs Kings (always good days as many families from the bush would picnic together at Parramatta)
- Games vs Cranbrook (goes without saying...)
You may recall the day in 2009, when Cranbrook 1st XV defeated Scots 1st XV 13-7
Cranbrook devoted 6 pages of its weekly newsletter to that result.

Last edited:

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
You may recall the day in 2009, when Cranbrook 1st XV defeated Scots 1st XV 13-7
Cranbrook devoted 6 pages of its weekly newsletter to that result.
Last time the match was played was 2014
Link to Green and Gold report below.
Guessing the Cranbrook weekly newsletter didn't cover this match quite as extensively.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Last time the match was played was 2014
Link to Green and Gold report below.
Guessing the Cranbrook weekly newsletter didn't cover the match quite as extensively.
There is a video of the 2010 match with some very questionable coaching language going on at halftime.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ah yes. Had a trip down memory lane watching that. Nice to see plenty of my former students. All I can say about the coaches is what my father taught me. “If you can’t say anything nice about a person say nothing at all.

UndersizedProp

Frank Row (1)
Interesting. Wonder how long that continued for??
I also don't recall TAS having the same involvement in GPS rugby back in the 8-school days. Has that changed over time?

Finally that 1994 ladder was interesting.
High in 2nd with the best for and against. Was that High's last hurrah so to speak?
Sydney boys participates in both GPS and CHS, as demonstrated this year, when they had rugby reps in both GPS and CHS.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
BTW...

As I am researching the AAGPS rep games I have noted that in the 1930's AAGPS teams played against these teams.

1st XV v Royal Military College, Melbourne for the Forsythe Sheild
2nd XV v Hawksbury Agricultural College
3rd XV v Waverley College

Found this in 1931

View attachment 16630
The CAS was not finalised till 1934 when Waverely were the last to join.
I discovered that last week. I was talking to a View old boy, now 96, who was telling me they used to play the Royal Military College, Hawkesbury, and Waverley. He was interested to hear about modern day GPS rugby (esp last weeks combined GPS games) which he wasn’t followed for years. It’s so interesting getting to talk to old timers sometimes.

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone know when the Scots injured players are coming back? (Tom Duddy, Billy Hansen, Finnlay Bartlett, Grayson Reimer, Leo Jaques)

I know Blake Steep gets back from his Roosters commitments this term but unaware of these others.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hate?

In 1987 this is what happened when Scots beat Joeys.

View attachment 16629
That seems like respect. It was repeated in 1993 as well.
Joeys panicked that day. They had penalty after penalty in the scots 22 and could have taken the 3 to make it 10-9. They just kept charging into scots D mindlessly and Scots held them out. One of the best defense efforts I ever saw.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone know when the Scots injured players are coming back? (Tom Duddy, Billy Hansen, Finnlay Bartlett, Grayson Reimer, Leo Jaques)

I know Blake Steep gets back from his Roosters commitments this term but unaware of these others.
Blake Steep and Finnlay Bartlett cleared to play in next game round 7 V Riverview. I assume Leo Jacques will be good to go as well. I think Grayson may be out for longer.

Flat out

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wish I knew.

I have access to the Joeys archives and nothing makes me happier than when I can take a deep dive into them.
They are far but complete but I have been able to gleam some AAGPS team lists which include names of other school players.
Tell you what....when I continue tomorrow if I find one, I will snip it and share.

PLUS I have yet to discover when we first started to play the red menace.
We would play games against the Royal Military College (Duntroon), Hawksbury Agricultural College and other schools

There was also a AAGPS Premiers v the Rest of the GPS Xv match as well.
Interesting results. Will share in time.
I heard a story a long time ago that in the 40's there was a superstar player at Joeys who repeated the final year so he could have another shot at Australian Schoolboys. However, Joeys had an internal rule that anyone who repeated was not allowed to play in 1sts or 2nds - so this kid played 3rds for the comp season.

Joker: have you ever heard this story or is there a way to confirm it via the archives?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I heard a story a long time ago that in the 40's there was a superstar player at Joeys who repeated the final year so he could have another shot at Australian Schoolboys. However, Joeys had an internal rule that anyone who repeated was not allowed to play in 1sts or 2nds - so this kid played 3rds for the comp season.

Joker: have you ever heard this story or is there a way to confirm it via the archives?
Joeys won the 1896 competition but had it stripped from them as they had a 19 year old in the team.

There was no Australian School boys in the 1940's just GPS.

In 1983 two boys who had finished in 1981 (a 2nd /3rd players) repeated. As they were both turning 20 they were not allowed to play 1st/2nd XV but turned out for the 3rds. It was obvious though after a couple of games they were way too strong so both stopped playing and coached junior teams.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
@Joker like many rivalries in the GPS the Scots V Joeys have a stack of stories. Extended clocks, sprinklers and trombone scholarships....all adds to the flavour
triangle XXXXXX, protein enhanced chicken, "special" milkshakes, jumpers on the altar, the "sledge" of 1992 which saw a win on the bell to Joeys and my favourite, the alleged Joeys mole embedded at Scots. Did you ever wonder why Scots didn't beat Joeys for so many years?.....mmmmmm

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Surely he'd be told that and leave high school which he should of already.
There was no repeating then.
I am researching the case of a boy in 1930's who played 4 years in the Joeys firsts.
His honour blazer is deep under lock & key in the archives
I am hoping to get another look at it. He has at least 14 GPS blue badges on it I recall
He was a cricketer and athlete and won premierships as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.