• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anyone snubbed from NSW Schools U16?
-Professor
I think cooper guerin and Max Laverty from Scots both unlucky to make it. Laverty played very well for GPS and Cooper has been playing well in Scots 1's this season but unable to play GPS rep due to injury. This might still be the case but if not the big fella should've made the team.

Speedy

Stan Wickham (3)
I think cooper guerin and Max Laverty from Scots both unlucky to make it. Laverty played very well for GPS and Cooper has been playing well in Scots 1's this season but unable to play GPS rep due to injury. This might still be the case but if not the big fella should've made the team.
Laverty made Schools II

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
It's also a very quick way to have a young player think Rugby Australia or NSWRU are just a pack of pricks. This can be the first interaction some of the boys may have had with a high performance in Rugby.

Even if a player has signed with League they should not be shunned. Look at Sua'ali'i. He has played NRL but is coming back to Rugby. Keep channels open and welcoming. No school boy is signing a 10 year NRL contract, they will be back on the market before they turn 21.
There is no doubt JS is an
Extraordinarily talented athlete however he is coming back at 2 or 3 x fair value. JS will be under enormous pressure to live up to the hype. The reality is he has played very little union and even less at anything approaching elite level.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Extraordinarily talented athlete however he is coming back at 2 or 3 x fair value. JS will be under enormous pressure to live up to the hype. The reality is he has played very little union and even less at anything approaching elite level.
Completely agree needs more game time however in Australia we have 25 million folks and 4 codes of football, (no other country has 4 codes) so its incredibly difficult for marketing, sponsorship dollars and TV rights. What Sualli brings like Folau many years ago an ability to put Union on the front pages of newspapers, possibly more dollars through sponsorships and make people in the street talk and discuss union. The key thing is then how this extra fund gets funneled down to the grass roots which is where the issues currently exist.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Completely agree that Rugby is paying overs for him currently on play alone but Rugby is desperate for star and the amount of extra media attention he has already generated without even touching a Gilbert is pretty good and what Rugby is paying for also.

Plenty of threads going in circles about JS. Don't want to turn this into one as well. I was just saying that here was a player with a level of background in Rugby that signed with Rugby League but has now signed back to Rugby and he's still only 19.

Hippo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not so much snubbed but there are a lot of players that are out injured, I can think of 4 from Joeys alone that would all be highly probable. I think the 16's age bracket is a very difficult time for injuries.
A few Joe boys in the Sydney side plus some very familiar names.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I suspect that SJRU had first option to pick this year. There are players in the Sydney side like the 9 who schools would have wanted.
Do they alternate at the selection table? I'd imagine Grover as you suggested, Makasini, Palmasini, Orr, Bloomfield and Haslam would have been in line for both Sydney and Schools.

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah, Guerin is still out injured, ripped up in the firsts, which is hard to do as a prop being 2 years young. He had to of made it if he wasn't injured.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Son of a gun....John Thornett. My late parents who be proud. My dad played with him at Sydney University. He was a proud Sydney High Boy.

Thornett is arguably the greatest captain Australia ever had. Better than Eales. He has been described as thus

"His players followed him because they knew he had the experience, and that he was a man of sterling character and high ethics.He was rarely the most brilliant man on the team, but rather the essential cog in the machine. Men followed him into battle because he was solid, dependable, unwavering, a man of undoubted modesty and tangible principles. They all knew he was a fine human being."

JT+image+6.jpg

twoandahalfback

Bob McCowan (2)
Can anyone here explain what happened to Grammar rugby? Is it just the fact that they don't have boarding or something else within the school that means they can't compete consistently, they've been good to watch this year but I wonder what happened since they used to play in the firsts comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.