• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
7F79B48A-1126-4206-BEDC-C6DE744AF82E.jpeg

10PM Stan Sport

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Results from today have set up these Finals (this Thursday) of the Schoolboy Champs Open Div.

The Awards Ceremony and Australian Schools Teams Announcements will occur on the afternoon of Thu 6, July at the oval.

The Australian Schoolboys team and an Australian Schoolboys Barbarians team will be selected.

The Australian Schoolboys and Australian Schoolboys Barbarians will play in a three-way competition with Tongan Schoolboys in Australia later in the year.

BOYS XV FINALS DAY MATCHES FOR 6 JULY​

9:20amVictorian vs ACTBoy’s 7th & 8th Playoff
10:55amQLD 1 vs NSW 1Boy’s 5th & 6th Playoff
12:30pmNSW 2 vs NSW Juniors BarbariansBoy’s 3rd & 4th Playoff
2:05pmQLD 2 vs NSW JuniorsBoys Grand Final

Last edited:

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
The Australian Schoolboys is now really only the 4th or 5th best player in the system. The top players are either in Gen Blue or the Reds U18's team. The rest are playing in this carnival.
Even though it is great to say you made Australian Schoolboys it is not the best schoolboys in the country.
Hence why you are seeing Sydney Juniors and the Barbarians teams performing well.

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
The Australian Schoolboys is now really only the 4th or 5th best player in the system. The top players are either in Gen Blue or the Reds U18's team. The rest are playing in this carnival.
Even though it is great to say you made Australian Schoolboys it is not the best schoolboys in the country.
Hence why you are seeing Sydney Juniors and the Barbarians teams performing well.

What used to be the Australian Schoolboys has been replaced by the "Australian Schools and Under 18s" which is announced at the end of the academy matches and plays the internationals. It is the top junior squad in the country and picks up U18s that are at Uni or aren't at school. This aligns with what other countries do.

The squad announced at the end of the current carnival are confusingly called the "Australian Schoolboys" and "Australian Barbarians" but yes, is really the 5th or 6th best under 18s teams in the country.

The NSW Gen Blue squad members aren't available for selection. You wonder if some of the reserves for Gen Blue Whites would rather 30 minutes playing against the Rebels B squad or pulling on an Australian Schoolboys jersey.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
What used to be the Australian Schoolboys has been replaced by the "Australian Schools and Under 18s" which is announced at the end of the academy matches and plays the internationals. It is the top junior squad in the country and picks up U18s that are at Uni or aren't at school. This aligns with what other countries do.

The squad announced at the end of the current carnival are confusingly called the "Australian Schoolboys" and "Australian Barbarians" but yes, is really the 5th or 6th best under 18s teams in the country.

The NSW Gen Blue squad members aren't available for selection. You wonder if some of the reserves for Gen Blue Whites would rather 30 minutes playing against the Rebels B squad or pulling on an Australian Schoolboys jersey.
This is a really valid point and highlights the issue with our pathways. They simply aren't pulling in the same direction. The lack of cooperation between the schools system and the pro system really weakens us in an international context and I think it also plays into the NRL's hands.

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Son of a gun....John Thornett. My late parents who be proud. My dad played with him at Sydney University. He was a proud Sydney High Boy.

Thornett is arguably the greatest captain Australia ever had. Better than Eales. He has been described as thus

"His players followed him because they knew he had the experience, and that he was a man of sterling character and high ethics.He was rarely the most brilliant man on the team, but rather the essential cog in the machine. Men followed him into battle because he was solid, dependable, unwavering, a man of undoubted modesty and tangible principles. They all knew he was a fine human being."

View attachment 16737
Great player and better bloke, Dad played with both Thornett brothers. John with Waratahs/Wallabies and later his brother at the Roosters. The eldest Thornett was also a Kangaroo too. I think one of them represented Australia at Olympics in Water Polo. Mind blowing athletic talent in one family.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Great player and better bloke, Dad played with both Thornett brothers. John with Waratahs/Wallabies and later his brother at the Roosters. The eldest Thornett was also a Kangaroo too. I think one of them represented Australia at Olympics in Water Polo. Mind blowing athletic talent in one family.
John did waterpolo and and rugby. Lovely fella. It was a pleasure to have known him.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
A question asked a while ago about AAGPS v CAS school rep matches.
I have dug up that the very first games between them was in 1969.

1688534342073.png

I am yet to start collating these match results. I am still going through records to find how many Joeys boys made the AAGPS 1st and team and how many selected overall along with the position the team finished that season.

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
Patrick Broe (choccas) has been outstanding for NSW Schools 1 this tournament. He walked through the NSW juniors defensive line on day 1.

Ben Whatley from shore has also been kicking well. He will be playing at Norths next year looking to follow his Head Coaches footsteps (Angus Sinclair).

With the addition of the two Aus Schools side these two GPS boys should be amongst them. Standing out in the limited games they have to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.