• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
It is Matty. Known him for over 22 years. When I worked at Scots I was given the opportunity to take him around, made sure he had lunch (free BBQ) and made possible that he could do his goal kicking at the halftime breaks. He loves talking to the opposition kids and it an identity in schoolboy rugby. An institution at Riverview
Matty and not Marty (my memory’s not as sharp as it was)….thanks for the correction Joker.

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well done to Kings. Going 8 rounds undefeated is an incredible effort. Among a team of stars, for me it’s the Austin the No. 7 who is the absolute standout who puts on a breakdown masterclass each week.

Two more games for a Perfect Ten. Having watched Joeys the last 2 weeks I think the final round will be very good. The No. 6 for Joeys, Eamon Doyle, is clearly as big and as good as others have been saying. Oh what might have been for Joeys if he was fit, but take nothing away from Kings who are the standard with View keeping them honest.

Before that feature finale, the Joeys vs View game next week will be a beauty. I’m calling it early for Joeys based on the last two weeks performances. Their forwards have finally clicked in a big way and Oscar Jorgensen keeps marching the ball upfield like a tractor.

BoysfromtheBxW

Peter Burge (5)
Talen Risati, he’s the kings fullback for 15As.

Came this year from oakhill and is regarded as the best player in this age group across the state.

He started for the 16As at oakhill in year 7 and was the winger for the 2nds in year 8. Without a doubt he’ll be apart of the 1st xv next year and realistically could have been in 2nds this year but kings chose to be patient.
I’ve heard of this player aswell. Apparently the next Joseph Sua'ali'i. I believe brother of Onitoni Large is also in this age group for scot’s. Does anyone know if he will play 1st 15 next year.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I’ve heard of this player aswell. Apparently the next Joseph Sua'ali'i. I believe brother of Onitoni Large is also in this age group for scot’s. Does anyone know if he will play 1st 15 next year.
He undoubtedly has the ability to and would at most schools but because basically all of the outside backs for scots are 2024 graduates it's unlikely that'll he play firsts. He has played a little bit of #10 and played dummy half in league for CIS but soepono will hold that #10 spot down

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Going back to last week's discussion on the best ground for viewing.

Agree that Knox takes the cake for general viewing with its 1500 seater bank/bowl (a grandstand has a roof imho), albeit I think the overall ground looked better back in the day with the sloped rock wall (but oh&s I guess)

But having made the trip to Lower Bellevue Hill today, I think Cranbrook takes the cake for VIP/ Old Boys viewing.
Looked like a few hundred old boys (presumably reunions) enjoying the upper balcony of the Vicars Packer Building directly behind the tryline. And the brown liquid in glass bottles appeared to be flowing all afternoon.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
WEEKEND TIPS RESULTS

@marlins merchant is still in the lead but @Backintheolddays is on his heels. Again it comes down to margins and this weekend the most successful margin pick was Scots. No one got Joeys and Kings was a surprise considering the hype of the game, the venue, the BBQ....

BIG WEEK ahead. The battle of the Catholics. Is God a Marist or a Jesuit?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR RESULTS.

The tipping stats team is back on deck and will be anxious to crunch all the numbers and those tables to you ASAP

Results Week 11.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn’t do it after in my word vomit.

Best on ground Kings v View IMO

View
7, 10
Kings
10, 11, 12

Both 10s had great games. Kings 10 right foot got them out of their own 22m on a few occasions when View were looking likely. View 10 can place his team around a field right where he wants. He had them moving well just like the Scots game but the Defence was there from the Kings side.

Hope all the boys are good to go for the last couple of rounds. In the last 10 mins plenty from both sides looked banged up.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
As the AAGPS season sprints towards the finish I have a question. Why is it that rugby (winter sports) get term 2 and part of term 3 where as summer sports get all term 4 and term 1? I am guessing and perhaps showing my own bias but I would estimate that rugby has more participants than any other sport played at GPS schools. Even more so if High and Grammar are left out of the equation.

Last edited:

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
As the AAGPS season sprints towards the finish I have a question. Why is it that rugby (winter sports) get term 2 and part of term 3 where as summer sports get all term 4 and term 1? I am guessing and perhaps showing my own bias but I would estimate that rugby has more participants than any other sport played at GPS schools. Even more so if High and Grammar are left out of the equation.
It’s to fit athletics season in Term 3. I think soccer would be the bigger sport these days.

Double Badger

Stan Wickham (3)
Some great footy yesterday. Kept an eye on all the games but have watched View Kings match closely.
Kings too good, View heaps of ball and territory in the first half and looked great but could only lead by 7. That was on the back of very good defense from Kings and Riverview not quite icing great attacking opportunities into points, including Kings winning a few lineouts against the throw. Kings meanwhile when they got the possession, territory and yes the lion share of the penalties (which I think in most cases were warranted), their size, power and skill across the park is too much for any team in the comp to hold out. Riverview defended as well as they could but that much attacking ball to that team is almost impossible to contain. They are also well drilled and had a massive amount of support there. I think Riverview lost their structure a bit as well once they were behind. Joeys have played tough all year and now with a couple of impact players back in are a threat to anyone. The other big game across opens other than Riverview v Joeys for 2nd and Kings v Joeys in the 2's for the title potentially, will be the Scots v Grammar game in the 3's.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Talen is a good player, a massive stretch to compare to Sua'ali'i and a stretch as the best player in the state, but definitely talented. There is talent across that age group. Justice T from Joeys given his performances his year in firsts would be the standout. He also started a year young in Gen Blue 15s last year. Outside that Ashton Large is outstanding but like props said the talent in the Scots backline might make it difficult for him to start the season in 1sts. Newington have a few in Jarryd King, Isaiah Sheck and Iliyaz Viliamu. All a chance to play firsts at some point next season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Big stretch. Was JS playing Aussie Schools by that age…

Looks like the Backs next year will be shoot out. This year we’ve seen the battles between the Backrow stock from what I’ve seen. CAS included there are 4,5 genuinely top tier 7s running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.