• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
TheRugbysmoker185

Harsh but true. Even if it isn't compulsory to attend, you would hope that your fellow rugby mates in yr11/12 would stick around after their games and cheer you on. Then if that becomes a habit, the younger players stay as well. That's what builds a Rugby culture. Yes it's good if your team has half a chance of winning the comp. but that doesn't happen every year. And it's not always about the result. It's about supporting your mate through the tough times ( away games etc ). You are right. New Rugby have problems on and off the field. Need to be addressed and quickly. Don't know if it's Rugby master or coaches or just an overall player engagement that's the problem. As mentioned numerous times. individual talent is there, team cohesion and maybe high skill level isn't up to scratch. A lot of other sports are being introduced and played. But View/Shore have that as well and they seem to go ok or at least hold their ground. It's hard to pinpoint the problem and harder to fix it. If it continues, New will struggle for years to come. I do hope they finish the year with a win especailly on their big reunion day. They do get a crowd ( i was there last year when they played View and they certainly lifted and won well ) but this year's team have seemed to have hit a wall and coming up against a Scots team who drew with Kings and will want to build for next year, it will be a big ask. Scots will travel as it's down the Hill to Stanmore.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Coming from a Shore supporter, that is fucking laughable. Let's not forget how Shore have only started being competitive since 2022 after their long winless drought.
Even, when Shore went through.a rough patch , there were sill huge vocal crowds and stacked teams going down to 9ths/10ths. Newington can't even produce a decent 3rdxv now lol.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Just read your post Dusk
Ok, I agree that Shore hasn't been great lately but you can see there is improvement. Even slightly. And this, if it continues, will pack the Shore stand with supporters and eventually those supporters will travel and it becomes a flow on effect. The young Shore players begin to be inspired again.
I reckon that Shore will win a premiership sooner rather than later and before Newington does. Big call but that is the projection. For memory, Shore beat Newington last year as well and New had a very good team in 2022. Will be intersting to watch.

Gps's Father

Bob McCowan (2)
No, they are 8-1-0. I’m not sure you claim a championship in that scenario. Of course Kings will still be premiers. @Joker will know.
I think how the kings boys will and should see it is that they were not "defeated". the score was equal. If a team draws 1st on the ladder then they are "joint premiers". If a team draws in a game they both get the points and move forward... this being the scenario scots gain their ladder points and so do kings.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Just read your post Dusk
Ok, I agree that Shore hasn't been great lately but you can see there is improvement. Even slightly. And this, if it continues, will pack the Shore stand with supporters and eventually those supporters will travel and it becomes a flow on effect. The young Shore players begin to be inspired again.
I reckon that Shore will win a premiership sooner rather than later and before Newington does. Big call but that is the projection. For memory, Shore beat Newington last year as well and New had a very good team in 2022. Will be intersting to watch.
I have been vocal about newington's lack of crowds so i'm not disagreeing with that idea but to say they should be kicked out when they have been a significantly competitive team for the past 10 years is stupid.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Even, when Shore went through.a rough patch , there were sill huge vocal crowds and stacked teams going down to 9ths/10ths. Newington can't even produce a decent 3rdxv now lol.
Yeah... because Newington offers way more sports and has a larger soccer presence than the rest of the GPS. You don't need to be a forensics expert to figure that out.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Unfortunately, I can't agree with you Gps's Daddy,
IMO ,A Championship is undefeated AND win all games ( no draws ). Close but no. Technically I might be wrong but in my book, you got to go 10wins 0 losses. If they win next week, which will be tough v Joeys, they are still a very good team and deserving premiers

RushingRob

Herbert Moran (7)
No, they are 8-1-0. I’m not sure you claim a championship in that scenario. Of course Kings will still be premiers. @Joker will know.
Completely agree, they won't be 10-0 or 5-0, they will probably be 9-1-0 which isn't a clean sheet. Still really impressive to have a record like that, but it won't say champions next to their name I don't believe so. Excited for the footy ahead!

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Coming from a Shore supporter, that is fucking laughable. Let's not forget how Shore have only started being competitive since 2022 after their long winless drought.
There are certain reasons to explain that and things that New (and other schools) do that Shore don’t for their top rugby teams, and I’ll leave it that

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
NEVER kick out Newington. Oldest rugby school in Australia. Stupid suggestion. The cycle of school sport can be cruel. Can come around quick and have a few years of success ( which may hide the problems if any ) or years of lasting droughts which cause heart ache for players and coaches. Even Joeys went through a drought recently. Just got to keep pushing, acknowledge your mistakes and implement new ideas ( or maybe old ones ) that eventually will turn things around.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
@Joker (or anyone who has a legacy on this forums),do you know whether or not this year has had the most discussion ever on green and gold?
-Professor

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
NEVER kick out Newington. Oldest rugby school in Australia. Stupid suggestion. The cycle of school sport can be cruel. Can come around quick and have a few years of success ( which may hide the problems if any ) or years of lasting droughts which cause heart ache for players and coaches. Even Joeys went through a drought recently. Just got to keep pushing, acknowledge your mistakes and implement new ideas ( or maybe old ones ) that eventually will turn things around.
Oh definitely, every school falls into a rough patch, Newington is still one of the top 6 rugby schools in the GPS, despite losing Majority of games this year, they did get the joint runner ups last year(SHORE).
-Professor

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I think how the kings boys will and should see it is that they were not "defeated". the score was equal. If a team draws 1st on the ladder then they are "joint premiers". If a team draws in a game they both get the points and move forward... this being the scenario scots gain their ladder points and so do kings.
Half the ladder points for a draw.

Double Badger

Stan Wickham (3)
Still undefeated Kings but for me that takes them out of the discussion for best GPS team in history that was debated here last week. They were no where near as motivated as they were for the big game v View the week before. Thats understandable but there have been some outstanding teams win the GPS premiership over the years that would never have dropped a game like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.